Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2023, 05:27 PM

33 posts, read 17,949 times

Advertisements

So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 05:33 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
I'm not an expert in DC motor vehicle code, however:
https://dmv.dc.gov/service/dmv-vehicle-tags

here is the text of the law:
Quote:
422.1Whenever a motor vehicle or trailer for which District of Columbia registration is required is being operated or left standing upon any public highway, such vehicle shall display two (2) current identification tags, with one (1) on the front and the other on the rear; except as follows:

(a)Motor vehicles need only display a special use identification tag on the rear of the vehicle; and

(b)Motor vehicles may display a souvenir presidential inauguration tag on the front of the vehicle not more than sixty (60) days before and not more than sixty (60) days after inauguration day; provided, that a current identification tag is displayed on the rear.

422.2Motor-driven cycles, motorcycles, trailers, and vehicles identified by a dealer’s tag or manufacturer’s tag shall display only one (1) valid identification tag on the rear of the vehicle.

422.3A vehicle owned by a non-resident and currently registered in another jurisdiction shall display the proper identification tag or tags issued for the vehicle in accordance with the requirements of the issuing jurisdiction; provided, that the tags are displayed in accordance with §§ 422.4, 422.5, 422.6, and 422.8.

422.4Owner’s identification tags shall at all times be securely fastened in a horizontal position to the vehicle for which they are issued so as to prevent the tags from swinging and at a height of not less than twelve inches (12 in.) from the ground, measuring from the bottom of the tags, in a place and position to be clearly visible.

422.5Identification tags shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a clearly legible condition. For the purposes of this subsection, foreign materials shall include any non- transparent materials placed on or over the tag(s); any expired or any unauthorized decals or stickers; or any markings or attachments of any kind, except as permitted by § 422.6.

422.6No sign or emblem more than twenty-four square inches (24 in.2) in area shall be attached to any license tag bracket nor shall any sign or emblem be so located as to obstruct from view any part of the identification tags.

422.7Validation stickers issued by the Director that indicate the expiration of a motor vehicle’s registration period are required to be displayed as follows:

(a)For vehicles registered prior to April 22, 2002, and all motorized bicycles, motorcycles, and trailers, the stickers shall be affixed to the tags; the month sticker placed at the lower left corner and the year sticker placed at the lower right corner; and

(b)For vehicles not listed in (a), the sticker shall be affixed to the inside of the vehicle’s windshield, on the driver’s side.

422.8No person shall operate a vehicle where the identification tag’s identifying numbers or letters are covered with glass, plastic, or any other type of material or substance.

422.9A person operating a vehicle in violation of § 422.8 shall be subject to a fine of five hundred dollars ($ 500).

422.10Buses owned or leased by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority or the District of Columbia Public Schools may produce and display a special tag on the rear, in lieu of a tag issued by the District of Columbia; provided, that the size, color, design, and material are approved by the Director.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:39 PM

23,291 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Let's add up the potential picayune incentives to stop you:

1. It blocks the lettering displaying your current state.
2. It's on the rear of your car.
3. It's an out of state dealership frame.

Sounds as if this is one of those things that begs the question: "Is this really the hill you want to die on?"

What does a new license plate frame cost in terms of $ and aggravation anyway? Probably a lot less than a ticket!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-04-2023 at 06:13 PM..

Old 04-04-2023, 05:50 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
I'd look up the penalties. I don't know VA's laws, but in NH you don't get just a ticket asking for money, it's 2 points on your license and all that entails. Not a hill I want to die on.

Old 04-04-2023, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I'd look up the penalties. I don't know VA's laws, but in NH you don't get just a ticket asking for money, it's 2 points on your license and all that entails. Not a hill I want to die on.
DC is separate from Virginia and has it owns laws. For DC, the penalty is at least $500 from an article I saw a few days go. But let's also I am traveling up and down the Northeast. Some periods I use Amtrak, which isn't that horrific like the rest of the country but other days I do have to drive and carry heavy stuff or venture to areas rural. The problem is the other states such as yours that would be problematic is also what concerns me.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:00 PM

211 posts, read 409,391 times
Why even have a frame, take it off and be done with it

Old 04-04-2023, 06:02 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post
DC is separate from Virginia and has it owns laws. For DC, the penalty is at least $500 from an article I saw a few days go. But let's also I am traveling up and down the Northeast. Some periods I use Amtrak, which isn't that horrific like the rest of the country but other days I do have to drive and carry heavy stuff or venture to areas rural. The problem is the other states such as yours that would be problematic is also what concerns me.
Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? Do you want to advertise for an out of state dealership that much that this is a concern for you?

Pro tip - a local car dealer will likely give you one of those frames for free, and it'll likely (maybe) be compliant with your local regs.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Why are you making a mountain out of a molehill? Do you want to advertise for an out of state dealership that much that this is a concern for you?

Pro tip - a local car dealer will likely give you one of those frames for free, and it'll likely (maybe) be compliant with your local regs.
I think it is dumb to advertise for any dealership. But I think that is what I am going to do, ask one of the local ones around. Worst come worst, I will order from Amazon.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:18 PM

1,063 posts, read 907,865 times
"So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?"

no.
just kidding.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:25 PM

12,971 posts, read 9,489,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabinetshut View Post
So I registered my car in Washington, DC(I know NOT a state) and the dealership frame from my previous state blocks the name "Washington, DC" on my rear license plate.

However, the numbers and letters on the plate can easily be read. I only drive two or three days a week tops to far off work locations(locations that lack mass transit)or if I am going deeper into rural areas of Virginia but rest of the days I use the DC Metro train system which is easier than driving and less stressful.

I much rather avoid the police and don't want to give them a dumb reason to pull me over. It wastes my time which is more valuable than having a conversation with them on the side of the road and getting falsely accused of intentionally obscuring my plate.

So, should I just get a new frame to avoid dealing with potentially getting pulled over?
Yes, I believe you can be ticketed. Nothing wrong with plate frames as long as the state name is visible along with the current year sticker. And the plate numbers/letters visible, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive