Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will your next vehicle purchase be an EV?
Yes 21 12.73%
No 117 70.91%
Unsure 27 16.36%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 05:42 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Ford and GM both are either in talks with/soon to be able to or are now able to use Tesla's supercharger network.
Definitely a mitigating factor to a large degree. I'd still have some reservations about getting a non-Tesla as there is no inherent right for Ford and GM to use the supercharger network (for all we know Musk may make some decision to scale things back if too many Tesla owners are waiting for extreme lengths of time due to additional manufacturers gaining access).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 06:19 PM

21,865 posts, read 25,129,659 times
EV life, 36 kW on the 150 kW charger. Upside is I only needed about a 5 minute juice to get home. Downside it will take 20 minutes to get it.

Old 08-11-2023, 06:33 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
Nope, I'm not spending money on a EV that has no resale value because potential buyers will be afraid the battery in the used vehicle will die if they buy it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Sorry, that is far from the truth - most EV batteries last about 300-500K miles or the life of the vehicle. Also Tesla vehicles have very high resale values. Where do you get this stuff - just make it up.
As the battery degrades over time, the range may be reduced, which can decrease the resale value.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:54 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,820,854 times
Hell to tha naw. If fact it probably won't have been made in the last ten years either, unless it's another CVPI.

Old 08-12-2023, 03:19 AM

1,017 posts, read 639,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Definitely a mitigating factor to a large degree. I'd still have some reservations about getting a non-Tesla as there is no inherent right for Ford and GM to use the supercharger network (for all we know Musk may make some decision to scale things back if too many Tesla owners are waiting for extreme lengths of time due to additional manufacturers gaining access).
Normally I would say that's not a real concern due to this being more than just a gentleman's handshake agreement. Apparently its all brands as I look more into it. This is a binding contract and Tesla needs the cash so here we are, but then... you are right, it's Elon we're talking about.

That same reservation you have works the exact opposite for me in that I don't like Elon due to his antics and don't particularly care for Teslas in general. The guy most certainly could back out on something at a later date and have to be sued into honoring it... which in the meantime causes heartache for owners. So yeah, you have a point.

Last edited by OldBankhead; 08-12-2023 at 03:33 AM..

Old 08-12-2023, 08:38 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
Normally I would say that's not a real concern due to this being more than just a gentleman's handshake agreement. Apparently its all brands as I look more into it. This is a binding contract and Tesla needs the cash so here we are, but then... you are right, it's Elon we're talking about.

That same reservation you have works the exact opposite for me in that I don't like Elon due to his antics and don't particularly care for Teslas in general. The guy most certainly could back out on something at a later date and have to be sued into honoring it... which in the meantime causes heartache for owners. So yeah, you have a point.
Indeed. I'd wager there is a relatively easy out for Tesla (of course I haven't seen the contract terms). I'm also curious to know how much these other manufacturers are actually paying Tesla (or if the cash flow is primarily from non-Tesla brand owners paying to use the chargers). I'd also wager that the contract/deal here isn't for an indefinite term and has to be renewed at a specified point down the line. Regardless, assuming Musk broke the arrangement down the line, the contract undoubtedly spells out what remedies are available at law. I'd be shocked if specific performance is among the remedies, but rather would expect some monetary damage provision.

This makes it seem like the bulk of the expected revenues from this deal ($3 billion by 2030 for Tesla) will be from individual owners charging their vehicles: https://fortune.com/2023/06/09/tesla...ford-standard/ Considering that Tesla was in a much stronger position going into these contract negotiations, I'd wager that the terms of the contract protect Tesla in a lot of ways, but who really know.

Old 08-13-2023, 08:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times
My car is a year old and has a 10 year/100k extended warranty. My wife has a very low mileage Volvo S80. I’d like our Volvo replacement maybe 5 years from now to be a European delivery and probably another Volvo. We would use the entire 90 days of a Schengen Visa likely with a couple of trips home so spread over 5 or 6 months. In that timeframe, it’s likely that the choice will be an EV.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:19 PM

9,288 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Here you go. Not sure how practical it is though:
https://aptera.us/
It would have to be as practical as a regular compact or subcompact. It will happen eventually since it's the only thing that makes real sense down the road- no pun intended.

Old 08-13-2023, 12:58 PM

539 posts, read 393,513 times
I voted for unsure.

My son who will be looking to get a new car in the next year or two is looking at a hybrid.

Me -- I have a 2014 Nissan Murano that has about 105,000 mile on it, used to replace cars every 10 years / 100,000 miles but think I may keep this one way longer with how expensive both new and used cars are these days and how much longer cars seem to last without a lot of car. Seems like keeping a car 200,000 miles these days is the new 100,000 miles. I've worked from home full time since the pandemic and don't put a lot of mile on it now and in reality could share a car with DH who is retired. It's so nice, though, to have your own car and feel like you have the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want. It's the largest car in the family too, so we use it for trips to see my dad who lives about six hours away and other rare short diving trips (maybe three or so a year). And DH borrows it (he live 16 minutes away) if he needs a larger car for transporting something. We tend to fly for vacations (three a year or so).

By the time I finally replace this car, elective vehicles may have improved enough to be the way to go. The lack of range and charging stations, though, wouldn't have me selecting one if I were to buy right now.

Old 08-13-2023, 09:01 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post
I voted for unsure.

My son who will be looking to get a new car in the next year or two is looking at a hybrid.

Me -- I have a 2014 Nissan Murano that has about 105,000 mile on it, used to replace cars every 10 years / 100,000 miles but think I may keep this one way longer with how expensive both new and used cars are these days and how much longer cars seem to last without a lot of car. Seems like keeping a car 200,000 miles these days is the new 100,000 miles. I've worked from home full time since the pandemic and don't put a lot of mile on it now and in reality could share a car with DH who is retired. It's so nice, though, to have your own car and feel like you have the freedom to go wherever you want, whenever you want. It's the largest car in the family too, so we use it for trips to see my dad who lives about six hours away and other rare short diving trips (maybe three or so a year). And DH borrows it (he live 16 minutes away) if he needs a larger car for transporting something. We tend to fly for vacations (three a year or so).

By the time I finally replace this car, elective vehicles may have improved enough to be the way to go. The lack of range and charging stations, though, wouldn't have me selecting one if I were to buy right now.
Just make sure to change that CVT fluid. It's recommended every 60k miles but most people fail to have it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive