Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 12:42 PM

6,413 posts, read 3,128,516 times

Advertisements

Does the car have a factory anti-theft system? If so, does the car use a key for the ignition? If so, there might be a "pellet" on the side of the key, that makes contact in the steering column. The pellet can develop a film on it, causing a "no contact" situation, which causes a "no start".......

No key, but a key fob and a push button start? Check the battery in the fob. They do die, and if the fob is dead, it won't trigger the car's sensor, so "no start".....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 12:53 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
It's the (solenoid built into the) starter.
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to actually get the battery tested - the mechanic should do that to rule out a weak battery, but if it appears that there's plenty of "juice", but the starter motor doesn't crank all all - it could well be the starter solenoid. If so, the repair shouldn't be too expensive - the part is probably roughly $100 and it shouldn't be a lot of work to replace.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:19 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
Does the car have a factory anti-theft system? If so, does the car use a key for the ignition? If so, there might be a "pellet" on the side of the key, that makes contact in the steering column. The pellet can develop a film on it, causing a "no contact" situation, which causes a "no start".......

No key, but a key fob and a push button start? Check the battery in the fob. They do die, and if the fob is dead, it won't trigger the car's sensor, so "no start".....
I turn off the alarm and unlock the door with a button on the key holder and then once in use the key to turn on the ignition if that is what you mean?

Old 08-19-2023, 01:22 PM

5,069 posts, read 2,176,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Yes, it wouldn't hurt to actually get the battery tested - the mechanic should do that to rule out a weak battery, but if it appears that there's plenty of "juice", but the starter motor doesn't crank all all - it could well be the starter solenoid. If so, the repair shouldn't be too expensive - the part is probably roughly $100 and it shouldn't be a lot of work to replace.
Good hopefully that is all it is then

Old 08-19-2023, 01:46 PM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert9 View Post
Good hopefully that is all it is then
Yes, I hope so. The starter solenoid is a fairly small electrical part that's normally mounted on the outside of the starter motor for each access. When you close the ignition switch, that sends current through a low current circuit to the starter solenoid, and when it's working properly, a magnetic pole in that closes a second switch on the starter, allowing electricity to flow through the high current circuit in the starter motor windings and the starter motor begins rapidly turning. If that solenoid fails though, then no current actually goes to the starter motor windings and the starter doesn't do anything.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:47 PM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Is the car paid for? If not, and if the loan holder thinks you are missing payments, there is a modern way that some cars can be diabled wirelessly by the loan holder.

Hope that’s not the case. But it is an interesting bit of technology.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:49 PM

4,621 posts, read 2,218,435 times
Quote:
sounds expensive.

I am going to have to pay to have it towed to a garage that will not be open until Monday!

I know nothing about cars and a few people who know more than me have tried things and nothing works
If you don't know anything about cars the best thing to do is tow it to somebody who can fix it.

It could be a better it could be a starter my guess is it's probably the battery would depend on how old your battery is if the cell goes dead in there it still has enough energy to run the radio and headlights and whatnot but you'll never get it started.

What's another thing you can do if you have this issue is look at the battery and see if there's a lot of Gunk built up the mint green looking stuff on the battery terminal if you have that you can get a little bit of vinegar or even Coke cola and pour on it to dissolve it. But if you don't have that take it somebody I wouldn't even try to attempt to fix it without knowing what or how to.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:50 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Make sure you have it in park. Sounds silly but sometimes it happens.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:21 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
sounds expensive.
Shouldn't be. Less than $100 for the V common part.
How much will your shop rape you to install it? THAT's the question.

Old 08-19-2023, 03:21 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
sounds expensive.

I am going to have to pay to have it towed to a garage that will not be open until Monday!

I know nothing about cars and a few people who know more than me have tried things and nothing works
It doesn't have to be expensive, although labor-hours can be. Now, not knowing "anything" about cars systems and how they operate can be a problem. Just because the lights and the horn operate, it does not mean that the battery has enough capacity left to start the engine. But at least you should be able to hear a rattling sound (clicking) from the starter solenoid. Did any of the people who know about cars try to jump-start your car?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive