Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 02:14 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Tell motor trend and NPR they dont know much.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/r...ric-test-cars/

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/10/11872...nifer-granholm

"Granholm's entourage at times had to grapple with the limitations of the present. Like when her caravan of EVs — including a luxury Cadillac Lyriq, a hefty Ford F-150 and an affordable Bolt electric utility vehicle — was planning to fast-charge in Grovetown, a suburb of Augusta, Georgia.

Her advance team realized there weren't going to be enough plugs to go around. One of the station's four chargers was broken, and others were occupied. So an Energy Department staffer tried parking a nonelectric vehicle by one of those working chargers to reserve a spot for the approaching secretary of energy.

That did not go down well: a regular gas-powered car blocking the only free spot for a charger?

In fact, a family that was boxed out — on a sweltering day, with a baby in the vehicle — was so upset they decided to get the authorities involved: They called the police."

I will have to ask the local Tesla dealer if theres a model that includes an advance team to ensure I can successfully charge the car.
ddeemo drives a Tesla which is probably why he's not having issues. Tesla has its own network and standard while the others are mostly on a standard called CCS1 with a handful of others using another called CHAdeMO. The US EV industry is now likely consolidating around the Tesla standard. Those issues mentioned for those vehicles are probably play a large part in why Tesla has been so dominant in the US EV market.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-15-2023 at 02:41 PM..

Old 09-15-2023, 02:49 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
How did Tesla end up mentioned regarding a story that includes seemingly every other EV except… Tesla?

(Don’t answer, it’s rhetorical.)

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-15-2023, 03:14 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
Fyi - electrician here - the service entering your home from the street is measured in amps, not volts. A house with a 120v line coming from the street is going to have some major issues lol. (But I think most of us know this…)

75 to 100 amps is about the average range. New or upgraded homes will be 200+. I heard recently that newer, large homes in Texas come with 400a service.

I had no problem charging my car with 100a service, a 50a breaker and a 220 receptacle mounted adjacent to my panel. Cost me like $150 total and I wasn’t an electrician then, had to pay someone to do it. I used that setup for about 7 months before being approved for a rebate program that made upgrading to 200a and a dedicated charger worthwhile.

For those who care about facts, a standard 220v/50a plug will charge an EV roughly 32A, or 30 or so miles per hour. 220v/30a “dryer plug” a little less.

The many available chargers on the market tend to bump it up to 40A. This gets me around 38 miles per hour typically. In other words, I can drive 2x the national daily average miles (an average to low mile day for me) and still have a fully charged car 2 hours after I get home. No more wasteful “5 minute” gas stops 2-3 times a week for me after a long day of work and running around with my kids. True convenience.

Charging on a 120v plug is maddening, 3-4 miles per hour. I do it at our hunting cabin where I can park my car all weekend. Yup, no issue hunting in a Tesla besides the idiots who shoot small deer yet like to make comments (who remembers that story?)

I would never have bought an EV if I was stuck with 120v. Interesting right? Kind of implies I likely feel the same for everyone else too huh? Though I really don’t have to “imply” it since I say it regularly: the huge benefit comes with A a path to home charging and B high daily miles. 27,000 miles annually at .03 per mile translates into a massive fuel savings.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 09-15-2023, 05:44 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeemo View Post
Show me the data and then we will talk - you are just speculating - it was the 50s 70 years ago - age of electricity and progress. I expect most of those homes have 240. I used to work in that area (in an old Convair facility for over 10 years - not kidding) and many of my coworkers lived in those areas - with electric stoves and the like and ALL had heat - 40 is too cold to go without it. They had very short commutes since most that live in those areas work nearby - it is mostly those in the suburbs that have the longer commutes.

The idea of no homes being built in the area is also non-sense - but also way off topic. According to the study done by the DOE, the grid can support the most rapid conversion expected with no issue.
I said theyre not building any new tract homes in the area and I stand by that claim 100%. The relevence is you are citing home size as relative to commute distance- which may have some truth in limited cases of Temecula residents commuting to downtown. However thats not a standard to count on as plenty of people bought smaller homes in san diego city and end up having to commute to employment centers in north county and even orange county.
Virtually all new housing development going on in San Diego city is now large multifamily buildings of hundreds of units, with a handful of townhomes in the few open spaces of eastlake and otay. The block size mega apartment buildings are no longer required to have a single parking space for residents so EV charging is a non starter for anyone living there.

Mod cut. Politics again. Last time. Infractions next

Old 09-15-2023, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
ddeemo drives a Tesla which is probably why he's not having issues. Tesla has its own network and standard while the others are mostly on a standard called CCS1 with a handful of others using another called CHAdeMO. The US EV industry is now likely consolidating around the Tesla standard. Those issues mentioned for those vehicles are probably play a large part in why Tesla has been so dominant in the US EV market.
How is Teslas network immune to the issues experienced by that officials caravan?
1 of 4 was broken. The other three were being used.

Or were you just trying to be argumentive and give the peanut gallery something to snark about?

Old 09-15-2023, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
How did Tesla end up mentioned regarding a story that includes seemingly every other EV except… Tesla?

(Don’t answer, it’s rhetorical.)
The story was about problems EVs experienced charging on long trips. Tesla is an EV. It is absurd to think Tesla chargers are immune to these issues.

Maybe this offended the company that writes your paychecks for policing their negative press on the internet?

Just a rhetorical question since Im pretty sure Elon Musk doesnt go there.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:13 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,926,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
(snip)

You can't get basic facts right or bother to read articles that you yourself are posting, but still have this completely unearned confidence talking about this. This likely extends well outside of the automotive forum given your off-topic foray into politics and foreign policy, which probably to no one's surprise, you likely have about as good a grasp on as you've been displaying with EVs.

(snip)

You don't read very well and you have little idea of what's actually going on with EVs.

(snip)
There's an old saying: criticize the idea, not the person expressing the idea.

Since this isn't a politics/controversy forum, but one about automotive, I would suggest sticking to discussing cars. Just an idea.

Bye.

Old 09-15-2023, 09:38 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times
Enough is enough, people. Persistent personal insults and off-topic comments have made a mess of this thread. It's been partially cleaned up from time to time, but the thread is not worth the hours it would take to salvage it at this point. Consequently, the thread is now closed.

If you can't civilly discuss the pros and cons of EVs, or any other automotive topic, then don't post in this forum.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive