Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2023, 04:27 PM

4,551 posts, read 3,750,269 times

Advertisements

This has gone on for far too long, the ugly egg shape of SUVs. I understand they have better drag coefficients and aerodynamics, but they are ugly. Every SUV is the same.

The main problem is the cargo room - it is very difficult to put anything in the back when your roofline curve downward like that. I see people slamming their tailgate and crunching things inside. It's a shame that the only square cargo holds that we need are too expensive for most people - Mercedes G-wagon, Range Rover, Lexus GX/LX and the Jeep Wrangler is too unreliable.

Choices are running out for those who want a decent looking SUV and not some ugly egg shape. The Mazda CX-50 is decent but these are far and few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2023, 06:06 PM

17,304 posts, read 12,242,173 times
All SUVs are ugly. They're supposed to be. They're utility vehicles. Get something fun/sporty instead.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:29 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Some are better styled than others. Ford Bronco Sport is just a rugged looking Escape but has distinctive styling. Hyundai Kona has nice styling touches. Chevrolet Trailblazer has a slightly rugged look. Jeep Renegade isn’t jellybean at all.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:37 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Looks are subjective really. I like the sloped rear deck of a lot of these SUV's these days, even if cargo space is compromised because of it. However, i'm not really packing my SUV full of stuff, and have used a cargo box on the roof at times if i really need extra capacity. But not everyone has the same needs. The market really follow demand, which is the entire point of why there are CUV/SUV's everywhere.

I really like the body lines of the new Explorer and Traverse, although the reliability of them makes me hesitate to buy one. Really the only SUV's I like on the market at any price level are the Explorer ST and the Porsche Macan GTS. Everything else just falls into "appliance" category for me or is a brand/model I don't care for (cough BMW cough)

Last edited by BostonMike7; 10-06-2023 at 07:46 AM..

Old 10-06-2023, 07:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
This has gone on for far too long, the ugly egg shape of SUVs. I understand they have better drag coefficients and aerodynamics, but they are ugly. Every SUV is the same.

The main problem is the cargo room - it is very difficult to put anything in the back when your roofline curve downward like that. I see people slamming their tailgate and crunching things inside. It's a shame that the only square cargo holds that we need are too expensive for most people - Mercedes G-wagon, Range Rover, Lexus GX/LX and the Jeep Wrangler is too unreliable.

Choices are running out for those who want a decent looking SUV and not some ugly egg shape. The Mazda CX-50 is decent but these are far and few.
This why I have an F150, in addition to my wife's Outback. We can take hers to Costco and fit everything just fine, but for bigger loads we need the truck. I do agree, however, that they all look the same now. I suspect that as long as people buy them, they will keep making them. Our neighbor went for an Explorer, bigger and more unique shape, but most of the vehicles around here are that same boring shape.

Old 10-06-2023, 07:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 1,665,647 times
Because people suck, continue to buy the same bland stuff.

Old 10-06-2023, 08:56 AM

7,515 posts, read 13,621,554 times
What people want is a Suburban, or a "Chev S-10", type body, but not look like a truck.

ISTM most SUVs are overgrown hatchbacks.

Anybody remember "station wagons", which apparently is now an automotive "four letter word".

Old 10-06-2023, 09:08 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Anybody remember "station wagons", which apparently is now an automotive "four letter word".
Only in the US. Europe loves them and I must admit they have some good looking wagons.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:27 AM

12,417 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
What people want is a Suburban, or a "Chev S-10", type body, but not look like a truck.

ISTM most SUVs are overgrown hatchbacks.

Function-wise, there's still a good argument for wagons - they're less expensive to build and have a lower center of gravity and lower air resistance - and so should handle better and get better mpgs, while passenger and cargo space can mirror SUVs. I think the product image of station wagons in the US, like minivans isn't strong though - they're not "cool" these days. The cool kids drive pickup trucks, SUVs or high performance cars.

Old 10-06-2023, 09:38 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,802,734 times
The design of most vehicles is low on the list of priorities, certainly lower than cost of manufacture and meeting gas mileage and safety regs. It is just part of the process of turning autos into just another appliance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive