Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 04:47 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

A relative was in a minor accident. She accepts fault and says she was flipping through the dashboard display to check something and was looking at the screen instead of the road. Do you think certain dashboard features should be disabled when vehicle is not in park or if vehicle is in motion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2023, 07:29 PM

5,962 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
A relative was in a minor accident. She accepts fault and says she was flipping through the dashboard display to check something and was looking at the screen instead of the road. Do you think certain dashboard features should be disabled when vehicle is not in park or if vehicle is in motion?
Good question. I see commercials on TV for automobiles with huge display screens for all sorts of things that could easily distract the driver. In fact, I don't see how a driver could use it (when the car is in motion) WITHOUT being distracted.

While these informational or entertainment features may be enjoyable, I think that they pose a serious safety risk if they're used while driving. Many states have laws against the use of a cell phone while driving, yet these big-screen devices would seem to be much more distracting than a cell phone.

Old 11-05-2023, 08:04 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Good question. I see commercials on TV for automobiles with huge display screens for all sorts of things that could easily distract the driver. In fact, I don't see how a driver could use it (when the car is in motion) WITHOUT being distracted.

While these informational or entertainment features may be enjoyable, I think that they pose a serious safety risk if they're used while driving. Many states have laws against the use of a cell phone while driving, yet these big-screen devices would seem to be much more distracting than a cell phone.
When in motion there are only certain things the driver must see like speed and fuel/charge remaining. Most drivers don’t look at any other readings (like RPM, Volts, vacuum, boost, and temperature).

Old 11-06-2023, 03:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
I'm distracted all the time. When we go on road trips, we have all kinds of gadgets going on at the same time. For example, we use both the phone GPS (mounted on an HVAC vent) and the car GPS at the same time. We use the phone to show directions and the car to show a large map. I have driven cars across the country for elderly customers as a side gig, some high-end with features like seats that massage you, controlled by navigating the big screen above the center console. I drove Uber and Lyft pre-covid where you have to operate a smartphone continuously. The distractions in cars are endless.

Have I ever got in an accident by being distracted? Yes when I was 16 in 1976, i was playing with the cassette stereo, and when I looked up there was a car coming right at me. I swerved to avoid the car and hit a guard rail.

Since then, somehow I've learned to avoid accidents.

Quote:
Do you think certain dashboard features should be disabled when vehicle is not in park or if vehicle is in motion?
Certain features are often disabled when not in park, like entering an address into the car GPS (as it should be).

Quote:
When in motion there are only certain things the driver must see like speed and fuel/charge remaining. Most drivers don’t look at any other readings (like RPM, Volts, vacuum, boost, and temperature).
Maybe not readings, but I think most drivers are looking at plenty of other car features. However I think many elderly drivers avoid the features to be safer, and also because they don't know how they work. I had one elderly customer chastise me for not leaving the headlights on automatic when I returned her flagship Lexus. The woman actually accused me of driving her car at night with no headlights. My guess is she came up with that crazy notion after her headlights didn't come on the first time she got caught driving at dusk. She had to take it to the dealer to put the headlights back on automatic for her.

Aren't cars fun?

Last edited by akrausz; 11-06-2023 at 04:52 AM..

Old 11-06-2023, 01:58 PM

23,251 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Granted, my car is a few years old and its digital display menu pretty basic, but other than turning on/tuning the radio, there is literally no reason to focus any attention on it while the car is in motion. Other optional controls and modes I might want to change while moving are button/switches on the dash or the steering column. Fine with me. If I really feel the need to scroll through a bunch of screen menus I will do it while the car is parked. The car is outfitted with some sort of map/navigation/tracking system but I've never even turned them on and let the subscription lapse. Navigating around my area is pretty straightforward. Either that or no smaller scale digital information exists.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:14 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
You want my opinion?

Nah, I didn't think so, but here it is anyway.

In my opinion no (as in, zero, zilch, nada, kein) functions accessed by touchscreeen should be active when a motor vehicle is in any state other than transmission in PARK.

Having to remove attention from the road to scroll through menus violates EVERY principle of human factors engineering as applied to a 5000 lb. projectile traveling 60-70 mph. Knobs and sliders with tactile feedback can, after a brief familiarization period, be operated purely by feel, and are therefore the correct mode of operating such functions.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:34 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
You want my opinion?
Having to remove attention from the road to scroll through menus violates EVERY principle of human factors engineering as applied to a 5000 lb. projectile traveling 60-70 mph. Knobs and sliders with tactile feedback can, after a brief familiarization period, be operated purely by feel, and are therefore the correct mode of operating such functions.
All is an interum process. Later on/future - all will be voice controls. Alexa and OK Google.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:28 PM

23,251 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
All is an interum process. Later on/future - all will be voice controls. Alexa and OK Google.
Hmm, that might create an interesting problem with hands-free cellphones in use while driving...which system are you addressing at this moment? The car's or the phone's?

Old 11-06-2023, 03:34 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Many cars already have voice control. I had it as far back as 2008 or so.

Old 11-06-2023, 03:40 PM

4,506 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Based on my experience with voice controls so far, I'd pay a premium to not have it on a new car purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive