Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2023, 08:05 PM

20,296 posts, read 37,224,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Trucks have morphed into big, gas guzzling cars with a box on the back. I see people pulling into crowded parking lots and trying to maneuver those behemoths into a normal car sized spot, yes, a one ton truck to pick up a bag of chips at the store. In the early fifties my uncles in Montana needed a pickup to get around the ranch, haul fencing material, pick up injured calves etc, but no leather seats, auto trans, power everything and fancy paint jobs which would have been the laughing stock of town back then.

There is little interest now in those utilitarian type trucks, today it's all about the "pose," the wanting to look like a guy who needs a truck to be his outdoor self, hunting, fishing, ridin and ropin at every turn. But the truth is obvious that these guys are simps who buy stuff based on machismo marketing ploys..
We all have biases, and more than likely all depends on where one lives at. For example, a lot of people buy the base truck model if wanting to use the truck for work or view a truck as a utility vehicle (towing, and things like that). In reality crew cabs or double cabs sell more than long bed trucks with a standard cab, mostly because the person wants room (more seating capacity) inside the cab where it is warm and dry (or cool during the summer). When my wife and I go out for a long drive, the two dogs we have ride on the back bench seat where it is warm during the winter, and dry if raining. Some people have a small family (a kid or two) and cannot afford more than one vehicle, or even nothing for a work truck. They aren't going to put the kids or the pets on the open bed and go out for a drive at highway speeds.

There is no way I could agree with your second paragraph, at least about most of the pickup truck drivers I see in Alaska. However, it could "possibly" be the truth by your side of the pond (where you live at), but still it depends on your perceptions about other drivers around you. People make all kinds of assumptions about others who drive vehicles that are different from theirs. Some even name vehicles with derogatory remarks depending on the vehicle the person drives. For example, I drove a 2009 Forester, and one of my coworkers stuck a number sticker-on the rear bumper-that read, "I drive a lesbarú, but am straight" I have no idea what you would think about women who drive pickups trucks; "not only men drive trucks, you know." If there are two drivers in the household and they only have one truck, both drivers drive the thing, regardless if they are macho, "delicate" or not.

A lot of the trucks used by workers, farmers, and so on are family work vehicles that both parents and even children drive when needed. Besides these things above, the trucks of today burn a lot less fuel than ones from a few years ago. I had a 1981 F-140 4WD truck that had a manual transmission, and an inline V6. This truck burned a lot more fuel than my 2001 Silverado 4WD 1500 that has a 325 V8.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-24-2023 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2023, 09:45 PM

10,918 posts, read 4,573,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I had a 1981 F-140 4WD truck that had a manual transmission, and an inline V6.

must been a biotch to work on. ;-)

btw my last restore was an 81 F100, I6, SROD - that was a pleasure to mod....

Old 11-25-2023, 07:01 AM

8,316 posts, read 3,939,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
Trucks have morphed into big, gas guzzling cars with a box on the back. I see people pulling into crowded parking lots and trying to maneuver those behemoths into a normal car sized spot, yes, a one ton truck to pick up a bag of chips at the store. In the early fifties my uncles in Montana needed a pickup to get around the ranch, haul fencing material, pick up injured calves etc, but no leather seats, auto trans, power everything and fancy paint jobs which would have been the laughing stock of town back then.

There is little interest now in those utilitarian type trucks, today it's all about the "pose," the wanting to look like a guy who needs a truck to be his outdoor self, hunting, fishing, ridin and ropin at every turn. But the truth is obvious that these guys are simps who buy stuff based on machismo marketing ploys..
In total agreement with this. But here's the reality - there is not a big market for true utilitarian trucks, why would Ford veer away from their F-150 marketing strategy when it has brought them untold millions of dollars of profit?

I used to be an R&D engineer at a large automaker and when a new vehicle or major model change was proposed, the big debate was always about the target market, what niche would that vehicle fulfil? There were always endless power point presentations describing the happy smiling people with the specific demographics that would buy that particular vehicle. I did not work for Ford but I can guarantee you that the target market for the F150 are not farmers and ranchers or even contractors. That's why these vehicles have such limited utilitarian value.

Old 11-25-2023, 10:40 AM

2,071 posts, read 1,678,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
In total agreement with this. But here's the reality - there is not a big market for true utilitarian trucks, why would Ford veer away from their F-150 marketing strategy when it has brought them untold millions of dollars of profit?

I used to be an R&D engineer at a large automaker and when a new vehicle or major model change was proposed, the big debate was always about the target market, what niche would that vehicle fulfil? There were always endless power point presentations describing the happy smiling people with the specific demographics that would buy that particular vehicle. I did not work for Ford but I can guarantee you that the target market for the F150 are not farmers and ranchers or even contractors. That's why these vehicles have such limited utilitarian value.

I would agree with this. Although I'm not a contractor, I want a utilitarian truck. As I've said in other posts on this forum, all the trucks on the dealer lots were higher trim levels with 5.5' or 6.5' beds. Wanting an 8' bed without being a diesel or a "King Ranch" or whatever was like asking for a purple unicorn.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:37 AM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
Anyone else notice that the linked article was from April 2019?

Old 11-25-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Anyone else notice that the linked article was from April 2019?

yup, cuz the base engine now has 2 less holes in it

Old 11-25-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
must been a biotch to work on. ;-)

btw my last restore was an 81 F100, I6, SROD - that was a pleasure to mod....
The 1981 F-150 with a 300 inline V6 has a lot of room in the engine bay. It was relatively easy to work on, but it just burned a lot of gasoline when driving over 55 MPH. If I well remember it had a 3 speeds (forward) manual transmission.

Old 11-25-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
I would agree with this. Although I'm not a contractor, I want a utilitarian truck. As I've said in other posts on this forum, all the trucks on the dealer lots were higher trim levels with 5.5' or 6.5' beds. Wanting an 8' bed without being a diesel or a "King Ranch" or whatever was like asking for a purple unicorn.
What I like about a truck with a long bed is that a topper on it allows a lot of room for gear and even a cot/mattress to sleep on, all which can stay dry. But there are a lot of people that have children and pets. If the family needs a truck for work and can only afford one vehicle, then they may have to use the truck for both work and family transportation.

Old 11-25-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The 1981 F-150 with a 300 inline V6 has a lot of room in the engine bay. It was relatively easy to work on, but it just burned a lot of gasoline when driving over 55 MPH. If I well remember it had a 3 speeds (forward) manual transmission.

Ray I know its cold and the holiday weekend and you had tee many martoonies....

the 300 inline is NOT a ............... (hint: rhymes with flee, pee, tea, ski etc)

Old 11-26-2023, 03:29 AM

820 posts, read 450,228 times
I've had my 2016 Ram Longhorn for 7 years. Why I love it...

1. Ram Boxes. You wanna talk about convenience? Check out what Ram Boxes are. Sold me right there.
2. The interior is beautiful, with the Canyon Brown color scheme, leather,... just sharp looking
3. The hemi gets over 20 mpg highway when on cruise control
4. At 90,000 is still purrs and gives me a smooth ride.
5. I still get compliments on how unique it is. I do get it detailed yearly.

What I wish I had...
1. The new Ram tailgate so I can get in and out of the bed easier. I tried but I can't get a body shop to fit it to my bed without big costs.
2. I'm no fool, the GMC Denali is insane looking. But the price tag is out of my range.

I'll be driving my truck for quite some more time. I'm very happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive