Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2023, 08:02 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times

Advertisements

https://youtu.be/5o7QgbIVwnI?si=Vp06frKljm0o1enF

Hats off to these ladies for competing in such a competition. Have to display knowledge of navigation using paper maps of regions that don’t have roads nor signs as well as knowledge of how to drive a vehicle through such conditions and how to get out when getting stuck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2023, 02:51 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Why is this newsworthy exactly? Being female doesn't make map reading (no matter how bad), navigation, or operating a vehicle under harsh conditions any more difficult than it is for any other gender. Your hats off comes off as a bit condescending OP.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-11-2023 at 03:23 PM..

Old 12-11-2023, 03:38 PM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Why is this newsworthy exactly? Being female doesn't make map reading (no matter how bad), navigation, or operating a vehicle under harsh conditions any more difficult than it is for any other gender. Your hats off comes off as a bit condescending OP.
From my anecdotal experiences of women drivers, hats off to them. I really would like to see a gender initiative here.

Ive met a number of good women drivers, but the numbers are disproportionate.

Old 12-11-2023, 05:49 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
From my anecdotal experiences of women drivers, hats off to them. I really would like to see a gender initiative here.

Ive met a number of good women drivers, but the numbers are disproportionate.
Damn, dude, the 1950s called, they want their stereotypes back. It's been empirically proven women are, on average, better drivers than men. Your rich personal anecdotes notwithstanding.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:45 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,232,991 times
I've been trying to get my wife involved with Rebelle. She loves the technical aspects of off-roading, navigating, and has plenty of extra fun money. Unfortunately for right now she just doesn't have time given her career as an attorney with a sizable book of business. She plans to retire at 55 so hopefully the rally will continue. As I understand it, the EVs are taking over and have big advantages.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:51 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,167,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
https://youtu.be/5o7QgbIVwnI?si=Vp06frKljm0o1enF

Hats off to these ladies for competing in such a competition. Have to display knowledge of navigation using paper maps of regions that don’t have roads nor signs as well as knowledge of how to drive a vehicle through such conditions and how to get out when getting stuck.
Thanks for sharing!

And yes women can be as good at driving as men. By the way, I know some mining families in Alaska where both the boys and girls are heavy equipment operators. They learn to drive every equipment used for mining at an early age. In one of these families there aren't boys, just three girls The same happens in the farming communities where all the family members drive trucks, cars, and farming rigs. A lot of women drive haul trucks across the US, too.

I see a few bumper stickers around here that read "Alaska Girls Kick Butt And Drive trucks, too"

Here are the 5 fastest women-drivers in the world (3 years ago):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td2Vp77wG3M

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-11-2023 at 11:07 PM..

Old 12-12-2023, 12:22 AM

10,438 posts, read 6,969,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Damn, dude, the 1950s called, they want their stereotypes back. It's been empirically proven women are, on average, better drivers than men. Your rich personal anecdotes notwithstanding.
That is actually false statistic. Men get into more accidents because men drive 30% more than women. Its like saying monkeys are safer drivers than humans because they have less accidents.

You can do a poll and I guarantee by a wide majority people would prefer a male driver over female. Get over your high horse sense of equality.

Old 12-12-2023, 03:10 AM

17,604 posts, read 17,642,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Wow, are you always looking for something to get offended by? 1. Not many men nor women would be able nor willing to enter such a competition. 2. I’m congratulating them on both their willingness to compete and their ability to complete the competition. I mentioned women specifically because this is a race only open to women. It has nothing to do with stereotypes of women drivers. It has everything to do with being genuinely impressed with their drive and skills. These aren’t professional off-road racers who train for such competitions year round. These are amateurs taking part in a grueling competition.

Old 12-12-2023, 08:21 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,153,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
That is actually false statistic. Men get into more accidents because men drive 30% more than women. Its like saying monkeys are safer drivers than humans because they have less accidents.
I wasn't talking about who gets into more accidents, so you don't actually know what statistic(s) I was using. There's more to "safety" than the overall number of accidents (which, out of context, is pretty meaningless). According to this article which references a U of M study,

- Men are more likely to be unlicensed drivers than women
- Men's accidents are about 50% more likely to be deadly
- Women have a lower fatality per mile driven than men
- Men get over twice the traffic tickets and four times the DUIs women do

Pretty sure that doesn't paint men as the safer gender behind the wheel.
Quote:
You can do a poll and I guarantee by a wide majority people would prefer a male driver over female.
Neither one of us can "do a poll" because we don't have access to a large enough sample size to have any kind of unbiased result, so your assertion may or may not be true - there's no way to verify it.
Quote:
Get over your high horse sense of equality.
Sure. Just as soon as you get off your soapbox of patronizing mysogyny.

Old 12-12-2023, 12:33 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Wow, are you always looking for something to get offended by? 1. Not many men nor women would be able nor willing to enter such a competition. 2. I’m congratulating them on both their willingness to compete and their ability to complete the competition. I mentioned women specifically because this is a race only open to women. It has nothing to do with stereotypes of women drivers. It has everything to do with being genuinely impressed with their drive and skills. These aren’t professional off-road racers who train for such competitions year round. These are amateurs taking part in a grueling competition.
I'm not personally "offended". I try not to stoop to gender-equality bickering. The way you composed your post about this race created an impression of you I suspect you don't realize and wouldn't want. For example: all you really needed to do was post a link to the article and how difficult the race conditions were without mentioning gender. If the article was halfway decent a reader would pick all that up without any help from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive