Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 10:39 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

Mind you, I'm still holding on to my 85 Toyota Supra for dear life, and I haven't rented a car in 8 years, and I needed to drive to San Diego from Tucson, so to enter one of these high tech gadgetry cars is culture shock to me, along with pain.

At first I couldn't figure out what this beeping was all about, but then I noticed if I got too close to the shoulders on either side of the road, it beeped. If I didn't signal in passing a car, it beeped. And if I got too close to a car it beeped.

Imagine, my driving a car like this across the country, and by the time I arrived I'd be a candidate for a Psych ward.

My Supra remains silent when I don't put on the seatbelt and that was another painful adjustment.

I realize most cars today are keyless ignition, so I begged them at Enterprise to give me a car with no fob and they gave me a Nissan Rogue.

I had a helluva time trying to use the radio, even the heater, too complicated for his 73YO low techie.

And I'm told they're going to install more Nanny devices on the 2025 cars.

I won't be renting a new car in the future, henceforth, I'll fly., use the train, use Greyhound and go somewhere with a good light rail system so I don't have to put my hands on a steering wheel.

Anyone else as frustrated with these new high tech gadgetry cars as I am?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2024, 10:51 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Just turn those systems off.

Old 02-14-2024, 11:09 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Just turn those systems off.
And how is that done? Is there a switch/button you can use to turn it off?

Old 02-14-2024, 11:14 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
When it comes to new tech, lots of people don't like it, and lots of people like it. While acknowledging that some implementations are slicker than others, in general, I fall into the latter camp, and I wouldn't buy a vehicle without modern ADAS. I was saved from a serious accident in my first week with my 2019 Subaru, due to it's Automatic Emergency Braking.

As far as how often the system beeps - part of it is in the implementation, and part of it is in how you drive - if you signal before you change lanes on a multilane highway, you won't get a warning. If you can stay in your lane when not trying to change lanes, you won't get a warning. If you don't fly up on someone's bumper, you won't get a warning. I get very few "false positives" in my Subaru, and when it does beep, I know exactly what it means, so it doesn't bother me.

Old 02-14-2024, 12:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,573 posts, read 81,167,557 times
When we bought our Outback with advanced safety features the dealer "tech guy" spent over an hour going over every detail. If you rental car has an owner's manual in the glove box, you can find the way to shut off the beeps there. If not, google the year and make and word "manual" or even "how to shut off warning sounds". Between the manual sites and YouTube you should find it. On ours it's deeply buried in the bowels of the touchscreen, but we are not bothered by them because we rarely
trigger them.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:11 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
When it comes to new tech, lots of people don't like it, and lots of people like it.

As far as how often the system beeps - part of it is in the implementation, and part of it is in how you drive - if you signal before you change lanes on a multilane highway, you won't get a warning. If you can stay in your lane when not trying to change lanes, you won't get a warning. If you don't fly up on someone's bumper, you won't get a warning. I get very few "false positives" in my Subaru, and when it does beep, I know exactly what it means, so it doesn't bother me.
Agree with all this. I went through culture shock when buying my current car, so I definitely feel your pain OP! I understand that the car you're complaining about was a rental, not a purchase. My previous car was bought new in 1999. When I realized a car purchase was looming on the horizon, I was sort of dreading the catch-up to a nanny car. I am not all that interested in tech, but I also realize the world and time moves in one direction. Neither is particularly interested in catering to me. I have to bend a little in order to remain functional.

Turned out, learning to live with a nanny car wasn't that bad. Partly because I looked up the owner's manual of the car I was probably going to buy online before driving it in person. Partly because I'm an attentive driver. The nanny features don't make a peep the vast majority of the time. If yours do, they're trying to tell you something!

A rental company probably doesn't provide owner's manuals for their cars, but they might if you asked. Tell the rental rep you need some orientation for the car you end up with. I had to rent a new model year pickup shortly before I bought my nanny car so I made a point of asking the rental rep to show me some of the basic operational controls before I left their parking lot. One of my first questions was about "driver assist" features, including how to disable them. The how will vary with the manufacturer.

You probably selected your rental online in advance before picking it up, but even if the car you reserved wasn't the one you ended up with you could have taken some time to have the rental agent orient you before you left and you could also look up the car's owner's manual online and read about its specific driver-assist controls.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-14-2024 at 03:27 PM..

Old 02-14-2024, 02:21 PM

1,880 posts, read 892,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
At first I couldn't figure out what this beeping was all about, but then I noticed if I got too close to the shoulders on either side of the road, it beeped. If I didn't signal in passing a car, it beeped. And if I got too close to a car it beeped.
We rented a Toyota for our trip to Miami and we fully enjoyed all the bells and whistles. You can turn them off; the button was on the dash. I will never take another Greyhound, Trailways or any other bus. I will continue to figure out the technology as long as we can drive.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:16 PM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
LOVE new tech. Makes me feel driving something worth, what I paid for it. Some of it is hell of annoying and does not work all the time, yet.

Old 02-14-2024, 07:49 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,402,902 times
I am fortunate for my age group, my kids, grands and business has kept me up to speed on most new technologies. I also embrace the help that technology has given so many aspects of our life.

I did have a rent car a few weeks ago, that I had to disengage the lane keeping function, it was just too sensitive for my liking. The rest of the functions, especially the adaptive cruise, were fine. (It did not have the xm activated and that was a long boring week)

Old 02-15-2024, 06:03 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
All the technology, I still had a lady, in a new Caddy, back into my truck. She said she didn't know what all the beeping was about, and doesn't pay any attention to the camera. I'm surprised the car didn't brake for her, then again, moving very slow, so may not brake below a certain speed.....new door, 6k + 3k in rental fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive