Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 04:32 AM

61,704 posts, read 87,101,195 times

Advertisements

What do we know about, and examples.
How money gets made by offering basically the same car with slightly different trim and a different name.
Is this still a thing?

The term "rebadge" is used to describe a situation where an identical vehicle is sold under different names by two automakers. Rebadging saves costs for brands and the hassle of developing a car from the ground up.

E.g. Toyota Cruiser might come back American market as rebadged version of the mid-size Land Cruiser Prado, which is set to debut shortly.

https://www.hotcars.com/lesser-known...rt-isuzu-rodeo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2024, 04:50 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,007,594 times
I never knew this existed across manufacturers.

In that link they listed Cadillac Escalade/GMC Yukon Denali, but those are both under the umbrella of GM. Domestic car makers have been doing that for decades. I suppose it's all about marketing and the perceived worth of a brand.

My first car was sold as both a Plymouth and Dodge, with different model names. Not sure if one car was better than the other, unless one of the brands offered 'leather seats' as an option, while the other one didn't, to increase the perceived value.

Old 02-24-2024, 05:05 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,601,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I never knew this existed across manufacturers.
Domestic car makers have been doing that for decades.
Exactly. . .

I can name a few examples where 2 manufacturers collaborated on a vehicle 'platform', but their resulting vehicles differ by more than just a badge.

For example. Toyota and Subaru have collaborated on 2 platforms. First was the GR86 and BRZ twins. Recently we got the bZ4X and Solterra twins.

Also, a partnership between Fiat and Mazda resulted in the 124 Spider and Miata.

There are certainly others.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:20 AM

6,442 posts, read 3,143,427 times
GM did it frequently. The Camaros and Firebirds were good examples. They shared a basic "platform", designated the "F" body, and initially the only major difference was the engines, as the Camaro had Chevrolet engines, and the Firebird had Pontiac engines. In later years, as GM was consolidating, they all had Chevrolet engines.

Also the Chevy Nova, Pontiac Ventura, as well as the Buick and Oldsmobile variants (whose model names I don't remember) all shared a "stretched" version of the Camaro/Firebird platform. In the "full sized" line, GM had the 90s Chevy Caprice, Buick Roadmaster, and Cadillac Fleetwood share the "B" body platform, as well as Pontiac and Oldsmobile variants, earlier on.

An interesting tidbit, when Ford had a controlling interest in Jaguar, they shared development of the "DEW 98" platform, which brought forth the Jaguar "S Type" (later called the XF), the Lincoln LS, and a shortened version of this chassis, underneath the "retro" Thunderbird, of the early 2000s.

Old 02-24-2024, 06:49 AM

21,875 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Big price difference on some badgers too like the Dodge Hornet and Alfa Tonale.

Old 02-24-2024, 08:14 AM

19,028 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Rebadging used to supply very good cars.
Examples were:
Toyota in bed with GM
Mazda in bed with Ford
Mitsubishi in bed with Eagle/Chrysler/Dodge.
Those times produced very reliable cars.
Those times are all gone.

Old 02-24-2024, 10:51 AM

12,420 posts, read 9,519,802 times
It doesn't make financial sense to have a full, ground-up development program that will only be leveraged on a single model. So-called "rebadged" models are often not literally the same but for the badge - all kinds of things can be altered - powertrain and suspension components, brakes, audio, sound insulation, interior materials, etc

And a related concept is that of the platform architecture used by virtually all modern companies. For example, Toyota's TNGA-K platform supports Toyota's Corolla, Camry, Sienna, Crown, RAV4 and Highlander, plus Lexus' ES, LM, NX, RX, and TX.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:16 AM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times
I think GM made a huge mistake when they discontinued rebadging their imports as Geos. I think if they would have badged the Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matix), and the Chevrolet versions of the Toyota Corollas as Geos, they would have sold better. People like me that discovered the superiority of Japanese cars would rather die than have a Chevy bowtie on our cars.

Old 02-24-2024, 11:50 AM

2,034 posts, read 988,010 times
Toyota and BMW too.

Old 02-24-2024, 03:32 PM

19,045 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Don’t forget the luxury brands of Toyota, Nissan, and Hyundai, etc. Especially in the case of Toyota/Lexus and Nissan/Inifiniti they’re effectively rebrands.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive