Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:31 PM

1,590 posts, read 4,575,557 times

Advertisements

Don't selll it...use the money you would loose in value to buy gas with and hope for a stronger dollar in 4-6 months and lower fuel prices
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 10:40 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

Apparently the Honda Fit isn't as big inside as the Versa from what I am reading but since the Versa doesn't come standard with the ABS and some articles are saying its hard to find, that will be a factor.
Since you have cash, I say have some patience and order a car with the options and color you want.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 AM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
My friend works at a Honda dealer down here. There are no Fits to be had. There is a list and its abotu 2 months to get one. When they come in they are already sold, at more than list. If you find out of the way dealerships not in a major city, you should be able to get one though. When i bought my civic years ago, i faxed what i was willing to pay to 5 dealers, 1 of them was able to do it. I showed up, wrote a check and left with the car. With the Fit being in such demand, i doubt that would work. Id second someone elses recommendation to look at a civic and a corolla, ive had both, both are great on gas and really good cars, and a little bigger.

Old 06-17-2008, 06:57 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times
Have you looked at the Ford Escape hybrid? They get pretty good mileage and it might not be such a shock since your coming down from an Expedition.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Thumbs up Scion /XD gets our vote

We looked at the Fit this weekend and it is REALLY small inside, much smaller than most other cars I've been in not to mention Honda is really "proud" of their cars and the price shows it.
We have been looking for a couple of weeks to replace our '97 tahoe and ended up with a Scion /XD. We took a 250 mile day trip and it averaged 34 mpg and was surprisingly very comfortable. I'm 6'2 with spinal issues and I sat in back with no problems.
The price was at a "no haggle" $15,900.00 price. Less than any of it's competition, built by Toyota and fully loaded,side air bags and ABS as well as 4 doors what's not to like?
Cost us $36 to fill it up since it only has an 11 gallon tank.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:53 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
We looked at the Fit this weekend and it is REALLY small inside, much smaller than most other cars I've been in not to mention Honda is really "proud" of their cars and the price shows it.
We have been looking for a couple of weeks to replace our '97 tahoe and ended up with a Scion /XD. We took a 250 mile day trip and it averaged 34 mpg and was surprisingly very comfortable. I'm 6'2 with spinal issues and I sat in back with no problems.
The price was at a "no haggle" $15,900.00 price. Less than any of it's competition, built by Toyota and fully loaded,side air bags and ABS as well as 4 doors what's not to like?
Cost us $36 to fill it up since it only has an 11 gallon tank.
WOW, $36 to fill up the tank. I almost had chest pain the first time I filled up my Expedition.

I will definetly have to go and look at the different cars available. I am pretty stuck on the idea of a hatchback four door however. I'm not much of a sedan kind of person. I could easily order a car and wait until they get it in. If the Honda is such a squeeze then the Versa might be better for me but I HAVE to have ABS brakes. They do say its a little larger inside.

I will collect some brochures, look at the cars and do some test driving before I make a decision. Then I will send my friend in and let him make the deal.

I am only 5'6 3/4 and won't be sitting in the back EVER, its just my 11 year old daughter and myself. I do at times get stuck with driving around a couple of her friends so they will be in the back.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
If you have to have a 4-door hatch, another to consider is the Toyota Matrix and/or Pontiac Vibe. It's basically a Corolla hatchback.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:25 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,435,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbugmiami View Post
My friend works at a Honda dealer down here. There are no Fits to be had. There is a list and its abotu 2 months to get one. When they come in they are already sold, at more than list. If you find out of the way dealerships not in a major city, you should be able to get one though. When i bought my civic years ago, i faxed what i was willing to pay to 5 dealers, 1 of them was able to do it. I showed up, wrote a check and left with the car. With the Fit being in such demand, i doubt that would work. Id second someone elses recommendation to look at a civic and a corolla, ive had both, both are great on gas and really good cars, and a little bigger.
This would explain why the prices for used Honda Fits at Carmax are higher then what the Honda site says for the new ones.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:31 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,967,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S6Sputnik View Post
Don't selll it...use the money you would loose in value to buy gas with and hope for a stronger dollar in 4-6 months and lower fuel prices
But prices will never go down as long as people keep driving big gas guzzlers like the Expedition. Supply and demand. America's thirst for oil to power their oversized gas guzzling behemoths is part of the reason we're in this mess with high gas prices.

Old 06-17-2008, 01:18 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,598,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f_m View Post
The 2009 Fit is a new model:
First Drive: 2009 Honda Fit

That will mean closeouts for any existing of the current version. Of course you may not be able to wait, or you might find yourself wanting this new one instead.
thx for the link! i cant find the mpg in the article tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive