Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 04:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Sure, I completely agree with you IF AND ONLY IF your Suburban has 6 adults and is pulling a trailer 90% of the time. If you don't fall into that category, you should be driving something smaller.

I can't even begin to count the number of times I see women, driving down the road in their Suburban or Expedition, or whatever other exorbitantly large SUV and they are the ONLY one in it! At the last apartment house I lived in, there were 3 other units, each with single, middle aged women. EVERY SINGLE ONE had a large SUV. No kids. Never hauling large items inside. Never more than 1 other passenger. Never towing anything. People that participate in that behavior should be paying an additional "Idiot Tax" amounting to no less than 5% of their gross annual income.
True here also. It is rare to see an SUV with more than two people and it's usually a woman alone. I honestly think they feel safer driving them, and I don't blame them. Again, if they can afford it more power to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 04:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,734,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 SNAKE View Post
Ok, now you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. Growing trade deficit??? Not last time I checked. Cheap dollar makes for a LOT more exports.

Semi drivers are slowing down all across the country. It's not because they're dangerous, it's because they must work hard to manage the best fuel economy possible in order to survive. You could raise the speed limit to 90 mph if you wanted to, but any trucking company that wants to stay in business longer than 30 days will still have trucks running along at approximately 60 mph.
Not around here! The same major Interstate interchange I spoke of in an earlier post has a curve that takes you from a North-South Interstate to an East-West interstate. Speed limit is 40.

I advise you to drive at least 65 on this curve. If you don't you will get your butt run over by a semi or three.

There is an area next to the left lane (right hand curve) where nothing grows. This is because so many trucks tip over on this curve at the same place that the diesel kills everything where it spills. A previous neighbor worked for the volunteer fire dept here and told us that it happens on average 2 to 3 times a month. The high fuel prices haven't slowed the number of times it happens, so they aren't slowing down.

At the end of the ramp you merge left onto the other Interstate. I drive home past this quite often on the other Interstate so they are pulling on from my right. If you are not driving 75-80 miles an hour in this 65 mph zone you will, again have a serious problem with semis as they pull over.

This is a daily occurrence.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
True here also. It is rare to see an SUV with more than two people and it's usually a woman alone. I honestly think they feel safer driving them, and I don't blame them. Again, if they can afford it more power to them.
A lady friend of mine wants an SUV. I asked her why...she said, "well I'm going to be a scientist and I'll be making plenty of money, so I can afford it". She's strange, females in general are strange like that. They think 5 minutes in front of their face rather than the long term effects of their actions.

She has a Camry now...go figure.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:26 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,773,130 times
Heck, why not ban all motorized vehicles that are bigger than motorcycles that way those huge SUVs can not hurt us and besides that they make way better mileage than cars. Might be cold in winter but I can't fit in a small car so alittle frostbite can't be that bad.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,432,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Not around here! The same major Interstate interchange I spoke of in an earlier post has a curve that takes you from a North-South Interstate to an East-West interstate. Speed limit is 40.

I advise you to drive at least 65 on this curve. If you don't you will get your butt run over by a semi or three.

There is an area next to the left lane (right hand curve) where nothing grows. This is because so many trucks tip over on this curve at the same place that the diesel kills everything where it spills. A previous neighbor worked for the volunteer fire dept here and told us that it happens on average 2 to 3 times a month. The high fuel prices haven't slowed the number of times it happens, so they aren't slowing down.

At the end of the ramp you merge left onto the other Interstate. I drive home past this quite often on the other Interstate so they are pulling on from my right. If you are not driving 75-80 miles an hour in this 65 mph zone you will, again have a serious problem with semis as they pull over.

This is a daily occurrence.
While I can certainly appreciate your experiences, I know with certainty that trucks (on average) are slowing down. The cost difference between driving 65 mph and 75 mph is huge at current fuel prices. For a driver, it can mean a difference of hundreds of dollars per week in fuel costs.

Owner-operators are slowing down or going broke. Company drivers are having the speed of their trucks restricted, forcing them to slow down as well.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:50 PM

68,340 posts, read 54,462,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
A lady friend of mine wants an SUV. I asked her why...she said, "well I'm going to be a scientist and I'll be making plenty of money, so I can afford it". She's strange, females in general are strange like that. They think 5 minutes in front of their face rather than the long term effects of their actions.

She has a Camry now...go figure.

Maybe if she gets to be a really good scientist she'll be able to afford a Ferrari

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,024,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Maybe if she gets to be a really good scientist she'll be able to afford a Ferrari
She hates sports cars. So do I, but still.

She was actually born in another country...and I think the whole "this is Americana" fluff is floating in her head. I'll break her out of it. She's a tiny lil thing...she needs to be in a Civic.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,423,545 times
Me - I live 10 miles from work and get 21 mpg in my Ford explorer.

My boss - Lives 55 miles from work and gets 28 mpg in his Camry on the highway.

But yet it should be me who gets penalized?

Same with other things, I live in a little 2 room apartment, my boss lives in a 4 bedroom house, just imagine the energy consumption difference on that one.

I do not see how or why it bothers anyone in regards to what someone else drives. Strange how many in America now regard freedom as to mean to intervine in others lives.

People who drive a low mpg vehicle do pay more in taxes via gas taxes, I do not see what people don't understand about that.

Plus who is anyone to determine for me what I need and don't need? Ok, so you see me driving my suv alone, what does that mean? Perhaps I use it for work (as I use to do), why should I have to go purchase another car just to get groceries? How does that make environmental and financial sense?

Plus, just how much excess oil do suv's really use? its not like they mkae up the majority of the auto market or anything.

Perhaps the next step would be to do away with everything that "they" consider a non-essential use of fuel, that can have very extended effects, I am sure I can walk into you people who cry about suvs homes and find many useless items that you have indulged in in which those items found their way into your home by some sort of fuel consuming motorized means and were created by some sort of oil consumption.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
No - SUVS should NOT be subject to a speed limit that other drivers are not subject to

How silly

Old 07-18-2008, 09:26 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,286,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingMunkeyCU View Post
Sure, I completely agree with you IF AND ONLY IF your Suburban has 6 adults and is pulling a trailer 90% of the time. If you don't fall into that category, you should be driving something smaller.
Why? What happened to personal freedom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive