Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,434,198 times

Advertisements

Would this apply to hybrid suvs as well like the highlander?

What if I showed proof my suv got better mpg than some cars that were not under the restriction?

Does the gov have an official definition of an suv? Or is it just something car companies come up with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:38 PM

8,725 posts, read 7,434,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why? What happened to personal freedom?
We all know many people regard personal freedom as the freedom to degrade others, tell others what to do and to find any reason within the law to discriminate against others for whatever reason they can come up with.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,029,385 times
IMO...

SUV = compensating for other areas (Males, unless they're in construction) or fashion statement (Females, unless they've got more than 2 kids).

My opinion. It won't change.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:20 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,214,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
Heck, why not ban all motorized vehicles that are bigger than motorcycles that way those huge SUVs can not hurt us and besides that they make way better mileage than cars. Might be cold in winter but I can't fit in a small car so alittle frostbite can't be that bad.
what a marvelous idea. winter? what's that?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Me - I live 10 miles from work and get 21 mpg in my Ford explorer.

My boss - Lives 55 miles from work and gets 28 mpg in his Camry on the highway.

But yet it should be me who gets penalized?

Same with other things, I live in a little 2 room apartment, my boss lives in a 4 bedroom house, just imagine the energy consumption difference on that one.

I do not see how or why it bothers anyone in regards to what someone else drives. Strange how many in America now regard freedom as to mean to intervine in others lives.

People who drive a low mpg vehicle do pay more in taxes via gas taxes, I do not see what people don't understand about that.

Plus who is anyone to determine for me what I need and don't need? Ok, so you see me driving my suv alone, what does that mean? Perhaps I use it for work (as I use to do), why should I have to go purchase another car just to get groceries? How does that make environmental and financial sense?

Plus, just how much excess oil do suv's really use? its not like they mkae up the majority of the auto market or anything.

Perhaps the next step would be to do away with everything that "they" consider a non-essential use of fuel, that can have very extended effects, I am sure I can walk into you people who cry about suvs homes and find many useless items that you have indulged in in which those items found their way into your home by some sort of fuel consuming motorized means and were created by some sort of oil consumption.
if you are of the opinion that more people don't drive smaller cars because of the menace of the speeding suv then there's your answer.

what has become apparent in this thread is that if there aren't any stats to prove that, then no one is prepared to use a little common sense to come to that conclusion.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Why? What happened to personal freedom?

are you joking? personal freedom died with the patriot act. it died with every subsidy and bailout. it died with gitmo. we voted for that 8 years ago btw and we had our chance in the primaries to vote again for freedom (there were a few candidates)

now that it's dead we may aswell make laws that help minimize our debt and bring our trade deficit in line.

bring on the 55 mph speed limit for vehicles over 2500 pounds.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Would this apply to hybrid suvs as well like the highlander?

What if I showed proof my suv got better mpg than some cars that were not under the restriction?

Does the gov have an official definition of an suv? Or is it just something car companies come up with?

you'd still be a threat to smaller cars therefore should drive slower. besides the whole point of hybrid suv's is flawed! this is what many don't seem to get!

Old 07-19-2008, 01:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,350,980 times
Great, another SUV troll thread from 58robbo.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:24 AM

24,517 posts, read 33,370,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
are you joking? personal freedom died with the patriot act.
Right, the Patriot Act which has prevented terrorist attacks both in this country and other countries.

Quote:
it died with gitmo. we voted for that 8 years ago btw and we had our chance in the primaries to vote again for freedom (there were a few candidates)
Really? American citizens are now being sent to Camp Gitmo?

Old 07-19-2008, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Great, another SUV troll thread from 58robbo.
thought you might like it drover. it was actually brought about by our discussion on why american cars need to be so heavy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive