Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:21 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Oh, heck no - more are on the way
Not arguing with the right to own an SUV, just don't know how long the market will bear it. Your buying a new one for $18k off sticker just killed any chance for the guy that bought one last year from being able to trade out of his. The ones that people are leasing will be worth well below their residuals and the financing arms of the Big 3 will bleed again. So,SUVs continue to depreciate at a huge rate, they don't bring in a profit like they used to (the only profitable line in the Big 3's lineup). How long can they continue to keep going with such huge losses month after month?

The American makes were already sadly behind the Japanese and Germans in product quality, trucks and SUVs were the only things keeping them from going under. Now, what are they going to do? I wouldn't be surprised if the day of the SUV is over, not like it has been for the past 15 years anyway. And not from liberal tree hugging politics, but market forces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 02:14 AM

262 posts, read 1,042,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
Yes, now that gas is "cheap", I think I'll buy a bus - like the Partridge Family bus. It won't just be a school bus ... it'll be a COOL bus!!!
I've always wanted to make it a project to convert a shortbus into a "cool" bus and roadtrip it. Basically my only requirement is that I want a jacuzzi in it, everything else is optional

Old 10-09-2008, 05:24 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,033,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
All of you with cheap gas are lucky. It's still $3.77 a gal. here with shortages.
Ahh, another NCer ::waves:: Hey!

Coming home from work this a.m., radio talk was about NC having the highest prices in the lower 48. Even California has lower gas prices than us. Taxes are partly to blame, but so is the situation with the pipeline feeding us from the Gulf port.

Now, I could say "gas costs xxxx here, and xxx there" but I think this link is a better illustration

USA National Gas Temperature Map

Old 10-09-2008, 06:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
The big three US automakers are structured to make money. Automobiles are a by product.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:33 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,342,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
If someone would have told me 5 years ago that I would be spending $3.00 a gallon for gasoline, I would have told them I was heading to the dealer and buying a subcompact car. Now though, $3.00 a gallon seems cheap and I have gone back to using my gas guzzler and all the talk about buying a subcompact car is old news.

In fact the whole talk about energy independence and high MPG seems so yesterday.

Anyone else gone back to their SUV now that "gas is cheap" again?
Heck no. $3 gas isn't cheap...you have just become acclimated to paying it.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 AM

81 posts, read 310,783 times
If you want to see some real time gas prices from a station - check out the Pilot website. They are selling gas for 2.69 in Oklahoma City.
Pilot Travel Centers LLC - Complete Pricing List

And really, not much of a need to pick on SUV owners. Check out the mileage of any car with an 8 cylinder, look around how many of these do you see? Cadilacs, Lexus, Benz, Audi, Infiniti, BMW - the highline sedans have 8 cylinder engines that barely get more mpg than the god forsaken SUV. If you don't know which if these cars have an 8 cylinder look it up when you have time time to jump out of your Prius. For those of you who do not know and purchased your car on advice from Al Gore and his greenies, you can find this info on sites like New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:33 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Where are you guys paying $3 a gallon for gas at??? In charlotte its still at 3.75 or so..

Old 10-09-2008, 08:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Where are you guys paying $3 a gallon for gas at??? In charlotte its still at 3.75 or so..

We are now under $3.00 - stations are selling at $2.98 a gallon

Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
We are as low as $3.29 up here and the prices have been falling every few days or so... consistently.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:23 AM

248 posts, read 798,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Why, a nice pick-up truck. But, more to your point, the large majority of SUV owners are using them to tow boats around. They're using them to toodle down to the Starbucks or ferry kids back and forth to soccer practice. Which leads me to ask, how on earth did we get along without these monster SUVs, which began being introduced in the 1990s?
i dont know if you have any children in carseats at the moment (i am going to venture a guess and say you don't), but i am telling you - these seats are friggen HUGE! you have 2 toddlers in convertible car seats and there is no way in the world you are going to fit them in a compact car - even one of the larger ones!

i think the moms started getting the SUV's when the laws regarding carseats got more stringent (AND BIGGER!) and the ages they needed to stay in them increased. if your child isnt over 80 lbs they need a booster seat!

my husband recently purchased an Audi A3 to replace his V8 gas guzzling 4 runner. i could BARELY fit my daughters seat in it and her legs are almost right up against the back of the passengers side seat.

just my .02,

the soccer mom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive