Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:05 PM

27 posts, read 52,884 times

Advertisements

I am seeking some advice...
I live in Colorado (Denver area). I would really like to learn about cars, what makes it run and not run and everything in between. I can locate the oil stick...so I believe it would be mechanics 101...Do you know of any place in the Denver area that has a school or a shop that does this for people...I am very interested and just thought you might be able to help me out...
thanks!
em

Last edited by emmylou; 10-18-2008 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 06:34 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
check with Junior Colleges in your area. Many of them have automotive courses.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:01 PM

139 posts, read 1,024,958 times
also just a thought but find a good shop in you're area and ask if they need a parts runner or any help at all around the shop cleaning parts etc, you can get paid and learn at the same time. good luck.

Old 10-18-2008, 07:28 PM

419 posts, read 1,921,511 times
studedude, is correct ... check out your local junior or community college for classes. Typically they only offer a 2 year degree program, as do the technical or vocational schools. Not sure if you want to go that far as in obtaining a degree or not. Another resource would be your local bookstore or even the web, but I will say say nothing beats learning at an onhands school for many obivious reasons. In my area they offer basic auto car repair and maintenance at a school called "Leisure Learning". This school doesn't offer a degree, but just some of the simple basics of auto repair and maintenace. You may have a similar school in the Denver area. Another thought is auto forums on the web. Usually, there is some wonderful help from other folks out there. Certain sites have folks that are willing to help. Good luck and I hope you find the education your looking for.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:04 PM

630 posts, read 1,294,651 times
x3 on studedude's suggestions, i took an automotive electronics class at a juco from a 30 years of experience GM technitian. You learn the basics, the right way to do things and you can ask all the questions you need to learn.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:08 AM

886 posts, read 5,715,596 times
Also look into the community resource center if you have one. I teach a basic tune up and oil change class 2 times a month. It only takes anout 4 hours and we cover changing oil, flat tire repair, spark plugs and wires, jump starting, changing head lights tail lights basic stuff like that.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:22 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Check out your local library. Our library is small, but it has some exellent books for explaining the different parts, systems, and what each one does and how they work. It's a great way to get an overview of mechanics and see if this is something you may want to pursue further. Outstanding attitude. And don't let them tell you a woman can't or shouldn't be a mechanic.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:36 PM

465 posts, read 1,417,641 times
Librarys are great, but you can't learn eveything from a book. Expierience is great too. There is no substitute for education though, take a formal class or two if you can.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:59 PM

58 posts, read 397,215 times
Emmylou, There are a number of schools here in Denver. But the Emily Griffith Opprotunity School has a really good introduction class for auto repair. I think they still have an autobody class also. The school is located off of Colfax and 14th street downtown.

Old 10-20-2008, 07:32 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,693 times
Bail Khan,
I agree with you. There are no subsitutes for experience. I've learned more from hands-on and talking to or watching back yard mechanics than in all the books or classes I've taken. I only suggested the books so Emmylou could kind of get an idea if this is something she wants to put money and time into. Also, It helps to have some knowledge of what is going on before she starts classes so she won't be so apprehensive.
Emmylou, If you don't mind a little greas under your fingernails, mechanics can be fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive