Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 06:50 PM

214 posts, read 916,173 times

Advertisements

2 cars...2 problems....

1. 2004 Tahoe Z71

It sounds like the exhaust pipe is rattling, but nothing is loose. Then I has some guy that changed the oil in it tell me that it was the cadalitic (spelling??) converter, his buddy then said it was a heat shield for the exhaust. It does it while idling, while driving slow, and I'm sure it does it even when I am flying...it's annoying.

Has anyone had problems that sound similar to this? How do I fix it? or if I take it somewhere, how much??? (also, what company is not shady??) recommendations are VERY welcome.

2. 2004 BMW 325ci

Bent arm (is that such a thing??) makes grinding noise while driving (front wheel pass side). How bad is this and how much will it cost to fix? I want to be able to go into the service dept w/o getting totally ripped off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 06:52 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,434,823 times
1) If it is your converter, a new exhaust system is only $300 - $400 from the converter on back. Easiest fix.

2) If it's a bent control arm on a BMW, you're going to need to take out a home equity loan.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 PM

1. deep breath in...deep breath out. ok, not as bad as expected

2. I think someone needs to drive me to the hospital...or the place with the padded rooms.....

Old 10-23-2008, 08:39 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,203,897 times
!. Sounds like heat shield rattle. The cheap way out is to crawl under there yourself and remove it. The heat shield is the cover surrounding your catalytic converter.

2. Find a replacement control arm at a junkyard (Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market). Have a local garage replace it. You don't need a dealership service department to do this.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:53 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,725,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEastBound View Post
2 cars...2 problems....

1. 2004 Tahoe Z71

It sounds like the exhaust pipe is rattling, but nothing is loose. Then I has some guy that changed the oil in it tell me that it was the cadalitic (spelling??) converter, his buddy then said it was a heat shield for the exhaust. It does it while idling, while driving slow, and I'm sure it does it even when I am flying...it's annoying.

Has anyone had problems that sound similar to this? How do I fix it? or if I take it somewhere, how much??? (also, what company is not shady??) recommendations are VERY welcome.
Not much help on the BMW, NEastBound.

However, I'm with the other guys on the Tahoe rattle . . . my bet is either the Heat Shield or the Catalytic Converter. You may want to check with your local Chevy Dealer because the converter may still be under warranty.

Good Luck

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 PM

630 posts, read 1,295,903 times
unless your exaust is not factory i doubt its the heat shield, take it off after the exaust has cooled and drive it and see if the rattle goes away.

more than likey though like everyone else has said, its your Catalytic converter.The insides ( like a honeycomb) have either cracked and/or started to crumble. I hate Catalytic converters, they are a pain.

Go to an exaust shop and ( i dunno if its bolted on or welded) they will take it off ( it would be more if they have to cut it off and reweld another. But not a whole lot more. The guy that did my exaust custom charged 20 bucks per weld ( not a spot weld ofcourse but an entire weld).

your Catalytic converter shouldn't to expensive and the labor shouldn't be horrible. I had my whole exaust done custom for 150 so theres an idea to kinda put things into perspective. Do some shopping around to the exaust places in your area, you can usually find some good deals.

As far as the BMW im not too familiar with them at all but for a fairly new BMW i would not put a junkyard part in unless it had no mechanic signifigance. Especially a steering or suspension part. I would take it to a good mechanic that knows BMWs and have them do there thing. Never take chances on your prime things on your car like brakes, steering, and suspension.

hope you can get this stuff fixed, its a bad time economy wise to have to fix a car on top of everything, hope the best for you.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM

886 posts, read 5,719,492 times
Make sure your spair tire is tight. I have seen a few of them rattle loose and drive people crazy.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:46 AM

Thanks!! I just did not want to get taken at the shop...

I'll check it all out.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:55 AM

732 posts, read 4,159,703 times
if you dont have inspections just take off the cat and dont buy a new one

Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM

58 posts, read 397,558 times
Check with your local dealer, There is a TSB on the exhaust rattle, It requires new straps for the heat shield. If I remember it covers 2004 to 2007.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive