Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 02:21 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times

Advertisements

I been looking to buy a new truck for some time now. As I been doing a lot of research online. I come to find out Ford, might be the way to go…. I myself am not a big fan to say the least. But perhaps, given the Senate’s rejection of a $14 billion rescue plan for U.S. automakers on Thursday sows more doubt about the futures of General Motors and Chrysler. Both could be forced into bankruptcy in weeks without government help. I’m thinking it might be a good idea to stay away from trading in my 1999, Dodge Ram 2500, for a new one. Seeing as dodge is a Chrysler, product it might be a good idea to change over to a Ford F-250??

A local news paper in my area has reported that a lot of people are going to Ford because they are afraid of GM going bankrupt and Chrysler is going bankrupt. So the last thing I want to do is spend 40,000 on a brand new truck and find out a year from now it’s worth 10,000 because GM, went under. However The Bush administration announced Friday it would step in to prevent the industry’s downfall. I don’t see how that’s going to happen?? Mr. Bush, is on the way out… As he might try to help out the industry from going down the tubes. I think he cares more about when that last plan ride home is coming more then anything. Letting someone else deal with his mess or at least try to clean it up would make a lot more sense at this point!

While I still do not understand why GM, of all automakers is going under and not Ford?? One thing seems to be very clear in my mind. Executives at Ford, which would be eligible for aid under a rescue plan, say the company has enough cash to get through 2009.

With that in mind the old statement of “Found on road dead“ or FORD seems to have a new meaning!! Seems they are very far from being anything but DEAD at this point!

Last edited by John From Scranton; 12-13-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 02:29 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,159,353 times
Ford trucks sell like gangbusters for a reason, they just launched their new F-150 as well so it may be a good time to make your move. It might also be worth your while to get a USED GM truck, but seeing how you have an older Dodge anyway, it might just be a wash.

Old 12-13-2008, 02:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,614,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Ford trucks sell like gangbusters for a reason, they just launched their new F-150 as well so it may be a good time to make your move. It might also be worth your while to get a USED GM truck, but seeing how you have an older Dodge anyway, it might just be a wash.
Bingo!

Old 12-13-2008, 03:07 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I was just looking at the new F-150, looks pretty nice. I would think now would not be the time to buy a Ford. Just because they know they got ya by the ...... Not going to be much in the way of saving's I dont think.

Last edited by John From Scranton; 12-13-2008 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-13-2008, 03:30 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
As long as you stay away from the 6.4 diesel in the super duty's you would be fine. The F150 seems to be a well built good looking vehicle.

Old 12-13-2008, 04:05 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,360,221 times
The Ford dealership in this little west Texas town just this past week folded. The Chevy house here folded many years ago.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 PM

93 posts, read 165,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John From Scranton View Post
I would think now would not be the time to buy a Ford. Just because they know they got ya by the ...... Not going to be much in the way of saving's I dont think.
What are you kidding me? Now is the time to buy, if you got the dough. Dealers are not moving units at all. They will do anything for a sale. The ball is in your court. Throw them the lowest offer you can think of and they will take it, guaranteed.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:41 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,538,959 times
Bought a new Ford F150 XL standard cab/short bed two months ago. It's a pretty basic truck with a V-6 and automatic transmission. The only options we got were the cd player and cruise control. I really like it! The only things I'd change are: the window crank lever, IMHO, is about 3" too low for my achin' arms. The cup holders are on a rather flimsy slideout drawer. The owner's manual says that "only soft cups can be used". I lived dangerously for a couple of weeks, putting my plastic Tim Horten's mug in it before I broke down and bought one of those plastic/vinyl console/cup holder/arm rest things. Looks awful but it works. Maybe I should have the armrest reupholstered to make it look like it belongs there.

Starliner 61, you're absolutely right! We bought our F 150 for $13,700. I do not believe we could've gptten a deal that good a year ago!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive