Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:38 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,292,248 times

Advertisements

Long story short, my wife killed my BMW 740iL the other day in a heavy thunderstorm. Ingested water and locked up the engine bad enough to bend a rod. While I decide what to do with it, (do I rebuild the engine, or simply replace it, or part out the car) we pulled the trigger on a new daily driver, something we had actually been looking at for the last year or so.

2011 Cooper, 6 speed manual, Sport, Premium, and Cold weather packages (wanted those heated seats for winter time). Not the S (didn't want the extra cost), and less than 20 miles on it. It's a blast to drive, and will help keep miles off the Mustang convertible (which was not bought to be a daily driver)

More pics:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Can you tell me how to "ingest water" in my car, just in case I ever want to do it?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 AM

143 posts, read 417,080 times
Drive through a very deep puddle.

Nice ride, good choice on the 6MT.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
I would find a quality mechanic in your area and rebuild the motor. With the rains we've had here the last few weeks I've gotten 40 cars in with various water related problems. If it's a simple bent rod and didn't hurt anything else you can simple swap that rod and put it back together. This is assuming it didn't hurt anything else.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Long story short, my wife killed my BMW 740iL the other day in a heavy thunderstorm. Ingested water and locked up the engine bad enough to bend a rod.
Did you have one of those downward facing cold air intakes? I ask because I have never had anything happen like that and I have been in some deep puddles myself.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:30 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
That's a great daily driver, I wouldn't mind the AWD Clubman myself. What kind of mileage can you expect?

Insurance should cover the engine being locked up under your comprehensive coverage.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
So your BMW goes through some water and dies so you buy something even lower to the ground than the BMW?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Did you have one of those downward facing cold air intakes? I ask because I have never had anything happen like that and I have been in some deep puddles myself.
The intake for the BMW stock is behind the passenger side foglight, when splashing through 6" of water in an intersection in a flash flood, it sucks right into the intake and hydrolocks the engine (water doesn't compress).

It apparently stalled, she tried to start it again to get out of the intersection, and then it would' teven crank over. I pulled the plugs after having it towed home and checked for water in the engine, but didnt' see any. Hand cranked the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley and didnt' feel any resistance with the plugs out. Put it back together and tried starting it (I thought at the time it might only be that the starter got soaked and died), but it did fire up, with a horrible clanking and a deep knocking. Immediately shut it down, but I can tell it's not pretty inside the engine.

Having the engine rebuilt is more than the car is worth, but I might buy a parts car and swap the engines around, before parting ot the parts car and recouping some of that cash (found one locally for $1500 that runs good but has suspension issues and wont' pass MD inspection)

Old 07-28-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So your BMW goes through some water and dies so you buy something even lower to the ground than the BMW?

The BMW was lowered on H&R springs. We bought the Mini because we had been looking at them for a year or more anyhow, and having the BMW die was simply the trigger. I'll put the BMW back together and continue to drive it.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Insurance should cover the engine being locked up under your comprehensive coverage.
It's a paid off, 12 year old car, I only had basic coverage on it. Had I had full ocverage on it, an engnei rebuild woudl have been more thna 75% of the value of the car and they would have totalled it out anyhow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive