Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 10:17 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,705,114 times

Advertisements

If the Big 3 Receive a Bailout, do you believe they have any chance of succeeding? Do you think GM, Ford and Chrysler will make cars Americans will buy? How can the big 3 succeed if the auto workers make more than what the average American makes? Doesn't this cause the price of cars to become out of reach for most Americans anyway?

I think the bail out will only prolong the agony for the big 3. I don't think they'll go out of business entirely, but they will become 2 or 3 dwarf companies, probably about as big as Hyundai is now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:32 AM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Yes, they can succeed, they will succeed, and they will make cars we want.

They're caught in the midst of changing to new efficient cars at the same time a massive financial catastrophe has struck. We should tide them over this extremely weird time and then expect to get our money back in a few years.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
It has happened already in the past. Chrysler received a bailout and they recovered and paid back the government loan.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:47 AM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,890 times
Ford will succeed. They are the one among the three that is already on the road to recovery. GM stands a chance with consolidating brands/product lines and lots of new management; they have financial relieve coming in 2010 (if they can make it that long). However, their road is long, windy, and slow.

Chrystler I have no hope for. Now that the Viper is gone they don't have a single standout vehicle. Perhaps the Wrangler only in a traditional way. They've got no product, no management, high debt. They just want the bailout to stay afloat long enough to get bought, but I don't think anyone would even be interested in buying them. Ultimately they will fail.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yes, they can succeed, they will succeed, and they will make cars we want.

They're caught in the midst of changing to new efficient cars at the same time a massive financial catastrophe has struck. We should tide them over this extremely weird time and then expect to get our money back in a few years.
Why do you think the problem is based on not building efficient cars? I don't believe this. Look at all the SUV's and other guzzlers people are driving. The problem is, their workmanship is not up to what the Japanese cars is along with making unstylish, unattractive cars. Their cars cost too much money.

When people discover the Japanese cars, they rarely ever go back.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
It has happened already in the past. Chrysler received a bailout and they recovered and paid back the government loan.
Yes, they received a bail out when they were building big boats, and the EPA was demanding the big 3 build econoboxes. Lee Iacocoa came out with the downsized, tin can "K-car" remember? I don't think this is going to turn around.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,795,884 times
Quote:
If the Big 3 Receive a Bailout, do you believe they have any chance of succeeding? Do you think GM, Ford and Chrysler will make cars Americans will buy? How can the big 3 succeed if the auto workers make more than what the average American makes? Doesn't this cause the price of cars to become out of reach for most Americans anyway?
They could survive, and maybe even prosper if they can switch gears and start manufacturing for Obama's infrastructure plans. If they stick to autos and don't diversify, they're going to sink.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Chrystler I have no hope for. Now that the Viper is gone they don't have a single standout vehicle. Perhaps the Wrangler only in a traditional way. They've got no product, no management, high debt. They just want the bailout to stay afloat long enough to get bought, but I don't think anyone would even be interested in buying them. Ultimately they will fail.
They've got one thing going for them, and that's being able to put the Cummins engine in their pickups. With the plans to put a smaller version of it in their 1/2 ton trucks, they could capture a big chunk of the light pickup market currently held by GM and Ford.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo vanilla View Post
Actually, they do have a stand out vehicle. I went to the New England Auto Show here in Boston last week. They had four new Dodge Challengers on the floor, each with different trim levels and they had tons of people around them checking them out. It was mostly all guys between 45-60 yrs old. Everyone was very impressed. The car appears to be very successfully designed. I suspect the problem will be the same as with Ford with the Mustang a few years back. The dealers will start to jack up the prices a few thousand dollars over sticker price. This is what turns off customers; while the customers might be raving about the car now, it will leave a bad taste in their mouth when they look at a big fat 35K-45K price tag. It also puts fewer vehicles on the road, so people don't see them on the road enought to acquire a taste for them.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
The problem is, their workmanship is not up to what the Japanese cars is along with making unstylish, unattractive cars. Their cars cost too much money.

When people discover the Japanese cars, they rarely ever go back.
I have to disagree... the workmanship is identical.

The NUMMI plant in Fremont CA builds both GM and Toyota vehicles on the same line, simultaneously.

The same workers build the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. They also built the Prizm and Corolla.

The Toyota branded NUMMI products are also slightly higher priced.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 12-13-2008 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 12:39 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,867,890 times
not buying the challanger. old guys will ga ga over it for a little while but ultimately it's not going to be very successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive