Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 07:46 AM

124 posts, read 123,803 times

Advertisements

So, less than 2 years ago, I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala off of someone from Craigslist. As time went on, the car started to slowly start showing problems. Just recently, the car started to cut off while running in traffic and decided to take it to a shop to have a diagnostic. Basically, the engine is about to crap out and a decent used engine is about $2,400. Plus labor or any other issues this car has that I don't know about.

My main concern is my finances since this was totally unexpected. My dad is a mechanic and says that he sees my model vehicle all the time in his shop with a lot of issues. Hence why I was thinking about getting a used car from a dealership though it is the more expensive option. Going back to the costs of the used engine, I only have $2,400 total and the out of pocket costs in itself would make me broke. Can't really do that since I am also paying student loans so I am in a tough spot financially.

I just switched from a full-time job in a toxic environment to a part-time job that is great where I just got a raise, but I am considering looking for another job since I will be owing a lot of money either way. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2016, 07:51 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Sell the Impala as a mechanics special for $500-1000 and put it with the $2400 and go look into a $3000 used car or put that $3K down towards a $5K used car and just slowly pay it off in a year. A $5K used car will probably have its issues as well, but you should be able to get a few years out of it if the powertrain is properly maintained.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:28 AM

5,717 posts, read 18,919,856 times
Look at Estate Sales. I came across a 2006 Impala a couple of weeks ago that had 18,000 original miles on it. The car looked new inside and out and under the hood. The car even smelled new. I could have had the car for $2500.00. Like you always hear about the little old lady that just used it to go to the grocery store. Well, I think this was one of them. I've come across other great deals at Estate Sales like a Mercury Grand Marquis that had close to 50,000 miles on it. Super clean car with new Michelin tires and could have had the car for $1500.00. Look at Estate Sales in your area. Prices at these sales is VERY negotiable so don't get scared off by the asking price. Make an offer even if it's ridiculous. Remember, an estate sale means they are trying to unload as much stuff as possible in a very short time period.
Find Estate Sales

Old 01-27-2016, 12:00 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboobam View Post
So, less than 2 years ago, I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala

Basically, the engine is about to crap out and a decent used engine is about $2,400. Plus labor or any

My dad is a mechanic

Where are you looking for engines??

Just a quick search...

2001 CHEVY IMPALA Engine

$970 shipped to your dad's shop. Pull the old one, swap it in with your dad and call it a day.

Old 01-27-2016, 12:02 PM

899 posts, read 1,015,305 times
Head to your local junkyard...there's bound to be an Impala like yours there or another GM car of the same era with the same engine. Pull that engine (you should be able to get it for under $500) and put it in your car.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:58 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I wouldn't throw any more $$ on a car with poor resale value.

Old 01-27-2016, 02:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I wouldn't throw any more $$ on a car with poor resale value.
It depends.
Is it being fixed to sell, or to use?
If you plan on selling it once it is fixed, don't bother. Sell it "As Is, Where Is!
If you plan to use it, then why not fix it? Sure, it may have other problems, but you pretty much know what they are. A "pre-owned" vehicle, whether from a dealer or a private party, may have hidden problems you know nothing about.
An inexpensive vehicle will NOT have any warranty! Again, whether dealer or private party it will be "As Is, Where Is".
Of course, you can buy a "warranty" (service contract) for any vehicle.
It is, of course, up to you.
As for me, I think I will do the top end overhaul that my truck needs (or have it done), rather than spend 10 grand or so on a "newer" truck that I know nothing about, then make payments for the rest of my life (I am rapidly closing in on 75, so my remaining life might be short!)

Old 01-27-2016, 02:42 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Quote:
So, less than 2 years ago, I bought a 2001 Chevy Impala off of someone from Craigslist. As time went on, the car started to slowly start showing problems. Just recently, the car started to cut off while running in traffic and decided to take it to a shop to have a diagnostic. Basically, the engine is about to crap out and a decent used engine is about $2,400. Plus labor or any other issues this car has that I don't know about.

My main concern is my finances since this was totally unexpected. My dad is a mechanic and says that he sees my model vehicle all the time in his shop with a lot of issues. Hence why I was thinking about getting a used car from a dealership though it is the more expensive option. Going back to the costs of the used engine, I only have $2,400 total and the out of pocket costs in itself would make me broke. Can't really do that since I am also paying student loans so I am in a tough spot financially.

I just switched from a full-time job in a toxic environment to a part-time job that is great where I just got a raise, but I am considering looking for another job since I will be owing a lot of money either way. Any advice?
I would need to know more about what's going on with the engine before I could offer any ideas. Typically cars like this don't "blow" engines, what exactly is wrong?

Would help to know how well or not you like the car overall, if you are in rusting country or not.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:

You should be able to get a rebuild engine for a lot less than 2400 bucks. Why can't you and your dad order a rebuilt long block and throw it n over a weekend.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:17 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:

The symptoms you describe aren't typical of a blown engine. Not saying you're wrong... but I wonder. How do you know it needs an engine? And not just a crank sensor or something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive