Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2008, 04:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,822 times

Advertisements

My Van was running rough it idles fine in park.When its in gear it spits and sputters.then after it gets warm its hard to restart.Once I get it started Ihave to put it in low or it dies again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 06:47 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times
It could be a multitude of things. Which engine, how many miles, how long since last tune-up, does it smoke, is it making any noise, does it go down the road reasonably well, did this happen suddenly or gradually?

Just some things to check
air filter
fuel filter
spark plugs
ignition wires
fuel injectors

Old 11-13-2008, 09:58 AM

91 posts, read 311,345 times
It should have a check engine or service engine light on with those symptoms. Either take it to Advance or Auto Zone and get them to extract the code for you (free) and then print out the definition of said code. It will give you troubleshooting tips before paying money for parts that you do not need.

If it is capable of making the trip then go down and pay the deposit and rent their OBD II scanner. It is simple to use. When done they will refund your deposit 100 percent

Old 11-13-2008, 10:14 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
A 2002 should be getting close to 100k miles no? That's the recommended period for some maintenance. The platinum plugs are supposed to be swapped out, tranny serviced, etc. Look at your manual and see when your scheduled maintenance is for those items.

FYI - I have a 2002 Suburban and it's coming up on 100k soon (95k). It idles a little rougher than it did when I got it 5 years ago. Other than regular oil/oil filter/air filter changes the engine hasn't been touched. I'll take it in after Christmas to get a full run up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive