Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

GM, auto industry, reasons why General Motors in trouble, inefficient laborers, too many fringe benefits and holidays, internal politics, poor car designs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 02:03 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
AndrewMensch;6307987]Much of what Cortland's dad said is true, but the Japanese and Koreans did not arrive yesterday. There is NO excuse for cars that are behind on style and features 30+ years after Toyota and Datsun (who?) arrived here.
How are they behind on styling and features? IMO American cars started the fad with all the gimmicky features and still lead in that department.

Quote:
Why can't a Malibu kick butt on the Accord?
Malibu has already started kicking butt on the Accord and Camry.

Quote:
Yes, they are better then in the 70s, but they are still behind in design, quality and resale
They are behind in resale because of the high volumes sold, making used cars more easily available and dropping the price.

Quote:
The Taurus was a fabulous car when it was new, but it stayed basically the same while Honda and Toyota improved and redesigned the Accord/Camry by introducing new models over and over. The Accord looked great and the Taurus looked old and behind the times.
How many other cars in the same segment did Honda and Toyota launch?
If the Detroit 3 would have stuck to one model in each segment and spent all their R&D n improving it, they would have got the same results.

Quote:
Chrysler minivans were and still are good, but take a look and then a drive in one, and then do the same in a Sienna, Odyssey or Hyundai minivan.
I hate minivans and couldnt be caught dead in one, so cant comment on this

Quote:
What about divisions? Why do marketing for Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Caddy, GMC, Saturn, Saab and Hummer... Or Ford, Mercury and Lincoln? Chrysler was smart to kill Plymouth.
This created so many jobs for so many people. If some of these brands are killed, it will result in jobs lost.

Quote:
Then get rid of either the Malibu or the Impala. No need for both. Same with the Buick versions.
Are you serious? These are two cars that they got right and they are doing quite well against the Japanese competition.

Quote:
Fewer makes and models mean fewer parts and savings on marketing.
Not really. Many parts are shared since the platform is the same across the brands.

Quote:
It is sad. Labor and tax issues exist, but without quality you have nothing. They've had 30+ years to improve... its time to put up or shut up.
Quality. and Reliability. Here we go again...
So people drove American cars till the late 80's and all of them were unreliable. Did you drive Japanese cars back then? Were they so very reliable?
Can anyone prove that American cars today are less reliable compared to Japanese/European cars?

Quote:
And please, don't be stupid and show up looking for money in your Lear Jets!
When the AIG executives showed up asking for BAILOUT money, did they go by public transport?
Will the Detroit 3 CEO's go on a $443,000 party with the LOAN money like AIG did, if they receive it?

Just my thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 03:05 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Excellent post OP. I repped you.
Thanks. I'll take a rep for my dad's work!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:53 PM

353 posts, read 1,021,218 times
Quote:
Excellent post OP. I repped you.
Who did you rep?

Old 11-25-2008, 09:56 PM

Quote:
As an owner of a 1987 Sable (Mercury Taurus) I take exception to this statement. It was a piece of crap. When I know everyone in a dealership repair shop there is something wrong with the car I bought.

I will never buy another Ford product, and it isn't just the quality. It was also the lousy way we were treated by the dealer and his employees.

I often wonder how many customers Ford lost because of that jerk and his cronies.
Sales went up and the Taurus was the #1 selling car for a number of years... and then lost to the Accord/Camry. Since then, those two have held the #1 slot and the Taurus was left in the dust... the question remains... WHY???

Old 11-26-2008, 08:17 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,937,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Who did you rep?
Me, the original poster.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
Me, the original poster.
I agree and Rep'd you too. Happy Thanksgiving.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:31 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewMensch View Post
Sales went up and the Taurus was the #1 selling car for a number of years... and then lost to the Accord/Camry. Since then, those two have held the #1 slot and the Taurus was left in the dust... the question remains... WHY???
Easy enough to answer. Taurus/Sable went from 1995-2004 without substantial changes. That's an eternity in the auto industry. My guess is that Ford became complacent because everyone continued to buy their trucks(Ranger, F-Series), which were virtually unchanged year after year. Also, don't forget the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car troika. Since at least the year 1992, they've been on the same platform with minimal changes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive