Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 12:18 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

We all know about Mr Obnoxious and his taking up two spots in public parking. Many people agree this is lame.

What I saw today really took the cake. Went to an upscale mall in our upscale part of town (so not crappy part of town or small spaces or anything). When I came out, I saw a Lexus SUV parked in

FOUR spots.

I kid you not. He took up two spots and then pulled foward into the two spots in front of him, as well.

WTF?

For the love of god, can someone please explain this to me?

(Btw, where we live and where this mall is, that Lexus SUV isn't even all that 'high-end.' The nearby Bentley and my car were nicely esconsed in our own one spot, and I can tell you, both these cars are way more expensive than Mr. Lexus. No matter where this happens, though, it's still obnoxious.)

I really just want to hear the logic of this. I mean, can anyone really be this self-absorbed?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 12:57 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Excellent candidate for impromptu custom pinstripes.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM

You know, I get they want to protect their car, but every time I see that, I want to do something to it...as stated above. Of course, you don't, b/c you are a grown-up, but it seems like they're begging for it, which is the opposite of their intention.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:19 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
I usually pull my big POS work truck into the 1/2 spot left by one of these idiots, so close you need a can opener to open their drivers door. Sometimes there just isn't room, but I do whenever I can. Guess it is the inner brat coming out in me.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:50 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
We all know about Mr Obnoxious and his taking up two spots in public parking. Many people agree this is lame.

What I saw today really took the cake. Went to an upscale mall in our upscale part of town (so not crappy part of town or small spaces or anything). When I came out, I saw a Lexus SUV parked in

FOUR spots.

I kid you not. He took up two spots and then pulled foward into the two spots in front of him, as well.

WTF?

For the love of god, can someone please explain this to me?

(Btw, where we live and where this mall is, that Lexus SUV isn't even all that 'high-end.' The nearby Bentley and my car were nicely esconsed in our own one spot, and I can tell you, both these cars are way more expensive than Mr. Lexus. No matter where this happens, though, it's still obnoxious.)

I really just want to hear the logic of this. I mean, can anyone really be this self-absorbed?

Thanks.
This person announced that they have just ascended to a position that affords them a few nice things. This usually accounts for the heavily-weighted perception of unique and unrivaled importance. Fortunately this goes away in a couple of generations, in the unlikely event that they save enough money for someone to inherit.

BTW, parking like that is ghetto fab, further proving the above point.

In reality, the best way to keep a car looking decent, is just to park away from other people if at all possible. And uphill from shopping carts. Any time I have done this, I returned to find four or five other nice cars parked around mine. I could care less if they're old or new, cheap or expensive. You can just tell the way the car looks, that the owner takes some pride in it. Such owners are usually respectful enough to use caution when opening doors and loading things into their cars.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:52 PM

I'm with you. I rarely worry, but if I do, I just park farther away.

Seems like what this person is really announcing is that he is much more important than any of the other shoppers.

Wish one of these people would really come on here and explain this to me. I'm partly venting, but I'm mostly just curious.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
I have a paint marker in my car that I use to write on their windshield.

Usually something along the lines of "Look at what a big important person I am because I need to take up so many spots to show off how awesome my car is".

Old 11-25-2008, 02:07 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
I cant understand why some people are so paranoid about getting their cars dinged.

Maybe they think people go out with their cars with the sole objective to ding other people's cars, and shopping is just an activity they do when they cant find a victim

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
If they want to be parked where they won't get dinged why don't they park out further where all the empty spaces are?

I suppose they are so thick headed that they don't realize taking up 4 spots makes them a target for vandalism.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:09 PM

1,720 posts, read 6,727,876 times
I might do this....FAR away. Well not in my Civic because it is so small(I park it far away as well)...but when I had my Caprice freshly painted or whatever...my custom cars...it sucks to have someone ding the doors or worse.

One time I was sitting in my car and someone hit the door with theirs and walked away. I let em have it verbally, and collected cash.

When it is over the top obnoxious it is like WTF though.

Like I said I park faaar away where the lot might never get full...and usually try to get an end by a curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive