Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 07:07 AM

620 posts, read 2,083,312 times

Advertisements

I just came across this tech story and wanted to share. This is not one of those fly by night scams. The device is not an available product yet. It is still being tested. It should be something to look forward to, though. - Bull W

30 October 2008

Simple device, major fuel savings

A simple device could dramatically improve fuel efficiency as much as 20%.
With the high cost of gasoline and diesel fuel having an impact on costs for automobiles, trucks, buses, and the overall economy, this new mileage enhancing device is simply a matter of physics. The small device consists of an electrically charged tube that can attach to the fuel line of a car’s engine near the fuel injector, said Rongjia Tao, chair of Temple University’s Physics Department.

<snip>

ISA | Simple device, major fuel savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 07:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,820 times
Have any independent research to validate the claims?
The link you provide is for the company's website, which is hardly impartial.
I'll wait here while you go dig some up.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:06 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,979 times
I know it's an old joke, but if you shoved that thing under the accelerator pedal, it could save even more than the published stats when attached to the fuel injector.....
The most important thing I didnt notice, was the price of admission to this gadget. Come to think of it, there really wasnt even any explanation of the concept/theory behind what it is supposedly doing, when attached to a fuel injector. Is this just a higher tech version of the old magnets on a fuel line gig?

Old 12-05-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Have any independent research to validate the claims?
The link you provide is for the company's website, which is hardly impartial.
I'll wait here while you go dig some up.
I'll go you one better by simply rebuking your statement.

The link is to an ISA (Instrument Society of America) web site that fields news stories. I don't see in the article where there is even a company mentioned.

I admire your skepticism, but please consider the info as it is presented, not by any preconceived notions.

I am not an advocate. I'd rather see more data on the theory of operation as well.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:32 AM

1,720 posts, read 6,726,531 times
I owned one of those things from some company several years ago. I noticed no gain...this could be different, but I highly doubt it.
I think I paid $15 or $25.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Winkus View Post
I'll go you one better by simply rebuking your statement.

The link is to an ISA (Instrument Society of America) web site that fields news stories. I don't see in the article where there is even a company mentioned.

I admire your skepticism, but please consider the info as it is presented, not by any preconceived notions.

I am not an advocate. I'd rather see more data on the theory of operation as well.
Well your right and your wrong. It is the ISA website, but the only info posted there is a press release from Temple University’s Physics Department. No independent party has posted any of their own data, nor has the ISA researched it themselves. It is simply regurgitated info from the university.I guess if you want to take Rongjia Ta at face value, it's ground breaking.
Just my opinion...I'm pretty sure all "simple" avenues for the "major" advancement of fuel efficiency have been explored.
But I do like the idea of wedging it under the gas pedal. Nothing simpler or easier then that.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:19 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times
Total waste. I am not even going to get into the fact that no matter what a vehicle needs to maintain a 14.7 air to fuel ratio for best efficiency

Old 12-05-2008, 10:27 AM

Here's a link to the company's website. That is, the company referenced in the article as the license holder.

Temple licensed the patent pending technology to Save The World Air, Inc. (STWA), a Morgan Hill, Calif.-based environmentally aware company focused on the design, development, and commercialization of technologies targeted at reducing emissions from internal combustion engines.

STWA - Save The World Air

Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM

886 posts, read 5,714,543 times
You can’t defy the laws of physics or chemistry. The only people that appear to are illusionists like Chris Angle and David Copperfield. Nothing more than a fake smoke and mirror show.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:37 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Don't these types of devices get their improvement in fuel economy by lightening the driver's wallet so the car weighs less?

I've seen just about every highly touted (and some obscure ones, too) bolt-on aftermarket fuel saving device on the market under the hoods of various cars since the 1960's ... and not one has ever delivered anything except a cash flow to the marketer. Magnets, intake turbulators, hydrogen generator, intake water injection with alcohol, you name it ..... some of them even had patents on their "process" and technology. Backed by lofty theory espoused by trained "scientists" holding PhD's ... sometimes even in the field they were working in. Almost as impressive as the "doctors" with magic weight loss pills and potions .... and clinical tests to prove dramatic weight loss on your continued normal activity level and eating habits.

You have to appreciate how well tested these devices have been by fleets and other users who would reap substantial dollar benefits if their fuel economy increased by even only a modest percentage. You don't see them running these things because they've tried them and they didn't work over many millions of miles ... if they did, every commercial fleet operation would be running these devices. And you'd know as a consumer that they'd proven the savings so you could justify putting the devices on your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive