Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:57 AM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times

Advertisements

Still no answer, guess on the "anti theft" shift setup, 40-50's GM pickups....????

Here's a weird one...my 2000 Malibu...console shift, but it had a shift indicator in the dash too. Guess it was a "just in case".
BTW...column shifts could still be special ordered into the 70's on normally console actuated cars. 2 rare ones I saw back then.....a special order 71 Monte Carlo, 6cyl and speed on the column. My boss ordered it, he was in his 70's...odd to see a 6popper with 3speed, yet it had rallye wheels and vinyl top.
And another I saw new on the transport...'70 Grand Am with a bench seat and 3speed on the column.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,289 times
Most minivans have column shifters, Honda CRV's have them, most pickups have them too

Old 12-12-2008, 12:51 PM

807 posts, read 2,514,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drb85650 View Post
Column shift manuals were desirable when first introduced in the 30's. I recall guys even older than me talking about changing from a floor shift to a column shift for the cool factor.
How many people on here recall how to "unlock" a column shift GM product when it's locked between gears or in 2nd?
And who knows what nifty "anti theft" device involving the shifter was on GM pickups in the 40s early 50s?
Don't know about the anti-theft deal.

When my Dad's truck would lock up, you would either have to get out and pull on the linkage or take the cotter pins out and fix it.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:20 PM

687 posts, read 2,950,575 times
Ok, the "anti theft" as you could call it now....was that you'd grab the floor shift in dads old GMC or Chevy, in neutral...a hard twist to the right as I recall and the shifter came out of its socket in your hand. Reinstall by popping it down and in with a twist. I'd never heard of this until I worked parts at a Chevy dealer in the early 70's...we sold lots of shifter repair parts even then for the 40-50's pickups. One of the old countermen was selling pieces to a older customer, they got to talking about it, I didn't believe it so they took me outside and showed me on his 49-50 half ton.
'Course Ford had a steering column ignition interlock in the 30's...my '38 pickup had one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive