Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:18 AM

1,363 posts, read 5,926,686 times

Advertisements

I have an 02 Chevy Trailblazer with 188,752 miles on it (husband drove it for a while with a hike of a commute). I start it in the morning, drive about 1/4-1/2 a mile to the first stop light that I hit and it starts to sound like a cartoon car when it's about to die. It will keep on like this until I stop the car and either turn it off or let it stall. I let it sit a minute, start it back up and it runs just fine. This started on Saturday morning. The oil was changed Saturday morning (after it stalled the first time), and my husband changed the cam shaft actuator and sensor and the fuel filter Sunday. The truck ran fine yesterday, but this morning going to work it crapped out on me again. Any suggestions as to what it can be? It will be going in to be looked at, but I just wanted to get some ideas of what I might be told.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 07:30 AM

1,720 posts, read 4,504,147 times
bad O2 sensors??? is you check engine light on?

Old 12-16-2008, 07:35 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,174,444 times
Got a check engine light on? Can you pull a code? Here's one document from GM Service: (links won't work for you).

Hesitation, Sag, Stumble
Checks
Action
DEFINITION: The vehicle has a momentary lack of response when depressing the accelerator. The condition can occur at any vehicle speed. The condition is usually most severe when trying to make the vehicle move, as from a stop sign. The condition may cause the engine to stall if the condition is severe enough.
Preliminary Check
Refer to Symptoms - Engine Controls .
Fuel System Checks
• Check the fuel pressure. Refer to Fuel System Diagnosis .
• Check the throttle position (TP) sensor for binding or sticking. Voltage should increase at a steady rate as the throttle moves toward wide open throttle (WOT).
• Check the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor response and accuracy.
• Check for water contamination in the fuel. Refer to Alcohol/Contaminants-in-Fuel Diagnosis .
• Check the canister purge system for proper operation.
• Perform the fuel injector coil test. Refer to Fuel Injector Solenoid Coil Test .
• Perform the fuel injector balance test. Refer to Fuel Injector Balance Test with Tech 2 .
• Check for low fuel pressure after a cold start or during a moderate or full throttle acceleration.
Ignition System Checks
• Check for fouled spark plugs.
• Check for proper ignition system performance.
Additional Checks
• Check the Service Bulletins for calibration updates.
• Check the generator output voltage. Refer to Diagnostic System Check - Engine Electrical in Engine Electrical.
• Check for a restricted exhaust. Refer to Restricted Exhaust in Engine Exhaust.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 AM

93 posts, read 165,787 times
Is the "check engine" light on? If it is, there has got to be a code in the computer. Have someone with a scan device check it out. It will tell you what is wrong.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:45 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,610 times
Thumbs down Why not trust what the shop tells you?

People who diagnose problems such as yours online without all the information and the vehicle in front of them are reckless....and mostly clueless.
There are too many variables, so get professional advice from experts
See how far your hubby got with gue$$ing???

Bad 02 sensors will not cause an engine to stall.
A bad fuel pump will not generally set a relevant code.

Already you have wild a$$ guesses, that are incorrect

Old 12-16-2008, 07:47 AM

Yes, the light is on. My husband did say he thought it might be the O2 sensor if the cam stuff didn't do it. He just ordered the scan device. He was pissed that he's been paying for the dealer (because they had the stuff to reset the computer) to change the cam shaft stuff and it took him about 1/2 an hour and about $100 to do it himself. So now, he just wants to do it himself if he can.

Thank you so much everybody. I'm going to give him the info.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
People who diagnose problems such as yours online without all the information and the vehicle in front of them are reckless....and mostly clueless.
There are too many variables, so get professional advice from experts
See how far your hubby got with gue$$ing???

Bad 02 sensors will not cause an engine to stall.
A bad fuel pump will not generally set a relevant code.

Already you have wild a$$ guesses, that are incorrect

Because sometimes the "experts" are just as clueless, and because I know less than nothing about cars, I get taken advantage of and scre$$$ when I take my car to the "expert". I like to get other opinions so I can do my own research and have a little bit of knowledge so I'm not getting sucked into getting my flux capacitor replaced. Thanks for your help too.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,315,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Because sometimes the "experts" are just as clueless, and because I know less than nothing about cars, I get taken advantage of and scre$$$ when I take my car to the "expert". I like to get other opinions so I can do my own research and have a little bit of knowledge so I'm not getting sucked into getting my flux capacitor replaced. Thanks for your help too.
So ask strangers on here, most of whom have no formal experience or training???
Yeah thats right, just have your husband keep throwing parts, specialty tools and $$$ at the problem...eventually it will get fixed
Maybe pick up a second car in the meantime.That way you can get to work and be able to pay for your husbands automotive training.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:16 AM

2,715 posts, read 11,903,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by regarese View Post
Yes, the light is on. My husband did say he thought it might be the O2 sensor if the cam stuff didn't do it. He just ordered the scan device. He was pissed that he's been paying for the dealer (because they had the stuff to reset the computer) to change the cam shaft stuff and it took him about 1/2 an hour and about $100 to do it himself. So now, he just wants to do it himself if he can.

Thank you so much everybody. I'm going to give him the info.
Is there an AutoZone close by? They will scan your car for free. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
Is there an AutoZone close by? They will scan your car for free. Good luck.
I didn't know that. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive