Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:24 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times

Advertisements

Let's say that Mr Yang Wang opens a Chinese restaurant in Kansas. All his workers are unionized and get paid twice as much as workers at any other Chinese restaurant in town. Despite growing consumer demand for smaller portions he continues to only sale very large and expensive lunch and dinner specials. He gives all his retired workers lifetime benefits that a millionaire would love. Despite constant costumer complaints that his food and service aren't as good as other restaurants he refuses to improve his restaurant's quality.

Question: Should Mr Yang Wang get a government bailout so he can remain competitive with other Chinese restaurants???

Last edited by censusdata; 12-21-2008 at 06:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 09:54 PM

340 posts, read 1,446,188 times
Maybe he should improve his food and service (#1) so that he can afford to pay for his poor desision to pay high benefits to his former employees (#2).Sounds more like maybe he should get out of the business if he's constantly in the red or concentrate on how the other guy is getting all the customers to visit his "restaurant".Maybe you're putting cheap ingredients in your recipes-thus ending up with food that makes people sick and causing them to visit the "doctor" for the same problem time after time.If all else fails then close down the business - there's plenty of restaurants that serve good food and have happy customers.Competition is a good thing - only the strong survive.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Kind of a poor analogy, in a union situation the union pays the pension to the worker who worked some 30 years to supplement the social security payment of $850 a month.

Mr. Wang is selling only to those that would not have bought from him unless he was union.

Yes, I am a union employee. I know others who try to work as I do who complain that they do not want the union telling them what to do. "They must not love their families as much as I do". Yes, I bring home twice as much as they do, and it is not enough. You should see the stars in their eyes when they get to go to a prevailing wage job.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
But, no. No one should receive the gov bail out.

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 AM

303 posts, read 1,561,275 times
I don't think he should, but how many people will Mr. Yang Wang affect if he goes out of business?

Old 12-22-2008, 09:05 AM

353 posts, read 1,021,317 times
Bad analogy... here's why:

1. If Mr. Wang's goes out of business, a handful of people will be unemployed. Suppliers of everything from food to napkins to booze will barley notice that the restaurant has gone under. If GM goes under we have hundreds of thousands of unemployed, decreased tax revenue to the states and federal government, combined with increases in food stamps, and welfare.

2. The commitment that I have trying Mr. Wang's again after hearing the menu has improved is the cost of a meal... under $100 so if it turns out that portions are big and the food has not improved, I have wasted an hour of my life and a hundred bucks. If I buy a Buick next time around, the commitment is to $25K+ depending on the car that I buy, plus car payments for 3-5 years. Along with that I may get lower resale for my Buick in years to come.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM

459 posts, read 2,228,674 times
Yet another problem to add to this analogy...Most of Yang Wangs competition has been receiving generous tax breaks and other financial incentives for building new "restauarants" in various states. Meanwhile, Yang Wang still operates in an ancient "restaurant" and is forced to pay taxes and other infrasturcture fees that his competiton does not pay...

Old 12-22-2008, 10:11 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,189,107 times
The money that the Union or the company pays the retired employee does not come from thin air. It has to come from the added price of the car. The company doesn't print it's own money, neither does the Union. In the end, it comes from the buyer.

If Mr. Wang could reduce the cost of his employees, he might be able to improve the quality of his food. The bottom line is that he is charging too much for a meal, that the customer is not convinced, is worth it.

If the employee didn't have to pay union dues, it would just like getting a raise.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:13 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,719,722 times
Seems like Mr. Wang's old customers haven't even sampled his food in 10 years.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:21 AM

3,199 posts, read 4,318,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
Yet another problem to add to this analogy...Most of Yang Wangs competition has been receiving generous tax breaks and other financial incentives for building new "restauarants" in various states. Meanwhile, Yang Wang still operates in an ancient "restaurant" and is forced to pay taxes and other infrasturcture fees that his competiton does not pay...
The big three receive just as much in the way incentives and tax breaks from the various states and cities they operate in as the imports do.
Additionally, Detroit trio are now getting bailouts from Canadian and Australian governments
Lastly, the imports have to meet the same governmental criteria and standards imposed on all vehicles sold here.
The "unfair advantage" argument is smoke and mirrors.
The American automakers had home court advantage and threw it away.

Check please!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive