Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
M_M M_M started this thread

62 posts, read 112,597 times

Advertisements

I am recently married and my wife is about to start the name changing process. Her car is owned by her parents, but they have now given it to her permanently. The tags are due in a few weeks and we also need to get insurance on the car in our name. We just got the marriage license certificates in the mail but she has not yet gone through Social Security to change her name officially.

The car is registered in Georgia and we live in Florida.

We are thinking that we need to take these steps:
-Get the title in my name or her unmarried name (we have the form signed by her parents already but have not submitted it) - I'm thinking we can declare it a gift rather than a $1 sale because Florida does not charge sales tax on gifts according to the Florida's Tags & Title web site
-Get her added to my insurance in her unmarried name
-Go back and get the tags for the car using the proof of our insurance
-Change her name through Social Security
-Change the name on the title to her married name (or do nothing if we put the title in my name)
-Change the name on the insurance to her married name

I'm not sure what is necessary or not, and if this is in the right order. Any advice would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 01:17 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
As long as there is no intent to defraud, you (or your new wife[congratulations, by the way]) can use any name you want. Just my opinion, of course, but the first thing to do would be to take a copy of your marriage license to the Driver's License Bureau and get the name on her Driver's License changed. Then, go see the insurance agent, Then, go get the car title tranferred to your names, and registered in your State. You might want to consider the advantages of having the title specify "As Joint Tenants With Full Right of Survivorship". That way, if anything happens to either of you, the survivor automaticly owns the vehicle. Different States handle this different ways, so get legal advice for YOUR State.
The necessary forms for Social Security name change may be available online, or it may be necessary to visit the nearest office. don't forget to notify her employer (if any) of the name change. You should be able to visit your bank and have her name added to your account, or your name added to her account, or both, whichever you want to do.
Also, remember to make the necessary changes to any credit card accounts, savings accounts, loan accounts, etc.
Good luck.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 PM

1,469 posts, read 4,495,347 times
I've owned several vehicles in Florida, we always regisrered our vehicles as John Doe or Jane Doe. You can use your wifes married or maiden name on the title it doesn't matter. If you sell the vehicle only one signature is reguired on the title, either one can sign it.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:11 PM
M_M M_M started this thread

62 posts, read 112,597 times
Thank you both for the responses!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive