Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:06 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,100,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12GO View Post
Oh come on !!! You ran the pipes all the way back? On my Firebird, I had headers and empty glasspacks bolted to the collectors. End of the glaspack case was end of the exhaust system. I got to the point of when a straight pipe harley would ride by and couldn't hear the cops telling me what they thought of my exhaust, if I already had the ticket I ask them why they wasn't pulling over the Harley? They were still louder than my Firebird
Yeah,I like the sound of that "cackle" between shifts you get with the longer pipes and about 2000 rpm it sounded like a Huey helicopter thumping along and when you let off of it and downshifted it would crackle and pop....music to a redneck's ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,701,776 times
Mine was a 1980 Chevy Monza. Bought in 1990. It was all I could afford! my mom helped pay for part of it. It lasted for about 4 years, it ended up dying a slow, painful death.
I still miss that car though! Man, I got a lot of tail with that car! (ha! ha! Just kidding!)

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
They were not nearly as rough on us back then as they are now....I have a 454 5spd crew cab dually 4x4 now that I have dual exhaust from the manifold back with 12" glasspacks on it and if I'm in "town" I short shift it to keep it quiet.I also have a BBC rat rod that I run headers with zoomies on (when it runs) and I keep it out of town because the fine is $75 for loud pipes around here and all they would have to do is take a picture of it and I would lose in court....Just a picture of it is over 100 decibels

BTW Fleet...I saw this pic of a Caddy rat rod and thought you might like it.
Yeah, speaking of exhaust noise, I don't see how some of those very loud motorcycle riders get away with it. I hear some very loud ones.

Thanks for the photo of the '65 Cad. I see some like that once in a while. I think I will keep my two stock-appearing with minor mods underneath.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:58 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,278,445 times
Quote:
What was the 1st car you purchased & why did you pick it?
1985 Berlinetta Camero V8. Purchased from an insurance salvage pool for $400 with front damage. Fixed up for ~$1500.

Why? Dirt cheap transport that resembled something cool. Lasted about 3 years before it was sold for $2500 (if it wasn't for the cost of a few repairs I'd call that a profit!). Then the transmission went out on the person I sold it to. (Felt bad for them but fortunately it didn't happen while I had it).

Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yeah, speaking of exhaust noise, I don't see how some of those very loud motorcycle riders get away with it. I hear some very loud ones.

Thanks for the photo of the '65 Cad. I see some like that once in a while. I think I will keep my two stock-appearing with minor mods underneath.
No prob on the picI seen it and thought you might like to see one stripped down for "bidness"

It's funny you say that about loud bikes...for many years I ran drag pipes on all of my cruiser type bikes or straights with fishtails if it was an Ultra Classic or Heritage and then I switched back to big Honda tour bikes again(smartened back up) for the last decade or more and if I had any idea how aggravating those pipes were to others I would never have ran them like that.The older I get,the more they **** me off.Especially when those greenhorn yuppie biker types sit there revving them up.I've got to where I'll say(if it's a newer HD) "It's one down and four up buddy if you are trying to take off and find a gear"

Old 01-14-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Mine was a 1980 Chevy Monza. Bought in 1990. It was all I could afford! my mom helped pay for part of it. It lasted for about 4 years, it ended up dying a slow, painful death.
I still miss that car though! Man, I got a lot of tail with that car! (ha! ha! Just kidding!)

Old 01-15-2009, 02:28 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,295,749 times
muleskinner, Sounds like you would have loved my 68 Dodge D100 with a built 360. Headers, and striaght pipes into cherry bombs with turn downs just ahead of the rearend. I even kept stock hubcaps on it! Never got pulled over once in it, well, never got stopped in it.

Yeah, my 100th anniversary Sportster is fairly quiet and everyone wants me to put drag pipes on it, but I'm leaving it completely stock. I think I have right at 719-720 miles on it now. I ride it enough to keep it in mint shape. Wouldn't mind to get one to ride all the time tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive