Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 09:02 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,186,434 times

Advertisements

If you borrow a car from someone KNOWING there is a registration or equipment violation and you get pulled over who should be responsible for the ticket?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2014, 09:09 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
The first question is why you would drive a vehicle knowing it has those issues?

Old 06-25-2014, 09:11 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,926,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
If you borrow a car from someone KNOWING there is a registration or equipment violation and you get pulled over who should be responsible for the ticket?
If you know there is a problem with the registration, why would it not be your responsibility?

I've borrowed friend's car in the past when I was younger. Rule of thumb is always ask where the insurance and registration card. If in glove box, I wouldn't drive away if there isn't a valid one in there.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,239,819 times
You are because you are driving it. It is your responsibility to make sure the car you are driving is street legal

Old 06-25-2014, 09:21 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
I say it's the owner's responsibility because

1) it's the owner's property
2) the owner assumed the risks when s/he allowed it to be driven

I think in some states you can get a ticket for expired tags when parked.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Interesting. I'm not a lawyer, so I do not know for a fact what the answer is, but I would think that whoever was driving would be at fault.

As an example, it is not illegal to let your registration lapse. There are a lot of valid reasons to not renew it, like you are selling the car soon, the car will be moved to a different state soon, lengthy time frame for repairs, etc. In a case where you've sold the car, if you let the registration lapse, a new person buys it but does not register the car, the previous owner is not liable for any tickets the new owner would receive even though in the system the car still shows registered to the original owner, so borrowing a car with expired registration should be treated the same way.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:01 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
Common courtesy would dictate that the person borrowing the car would pay the fine.

Also that the person borrowing something would return it in the same condition as it was when borrowed. (If you break something, pay to have it fixed.)

If a car, return it with the gas tank filled up.

And say "Thank You" to the person allowing you to borrow something.

P.S. Return the borrowed car [thing] to the owner's house! Don't wait for them to call and ask if you are done using it, then say "You can come over and pick up your car, I am done using it!"
(Yes people have the gall to do that lately!)

Old 06-25-2014, 10:04 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Interesting. I'm not a lawyer, so I do not know for a fact what the answer is, but I would think that whoever was driving would be at fault.

As an example, it is not illegal to let your registration lapse. There are a lot of valid reasons to not renew it, like you are selling the car soon, the car will be moved to a different state soon, lengthy time frame for repairs, etc. In a case where you've sold the car, if you let the registration lapse, a new person buys it but does not register the car, the previous owner is not liable for any tickets the new owner would receive even though in the system the car still shows registered to the original owner, so borrowing a car with expired registration should be treated the same way.
So by your logic, the car never needs to be registered if the owner only loans it out and never drives it.
Good luck with that one...

Old 06-25-2014, 10:27 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,091,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
So by your logic, the car never needs to be registered if the owner only loans it out and never drives it.
Good luck with that one...
Only with your logic, would you arrive at such an incorrect conclusion.

Whoever is driving it is breaking the law by operating a vehicle on public roads without valid registration. If the owner doesn't drive it and the car sits in the garage, do you think he's getting ticketed for it?

Old 06-25-2014, 10:48 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,122,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Only with your logic, would you arrive at such an incorrect conclusion.

Whoever is driving it is breaking the law by operating a vehicle on public roads without valid registration. If the owner doesn't drive it and the car sits in the garage, do you think he's getting ticketed for it?

As the owner of the car and knowing that the car should NOT be on the road, why would you allow someone to use it?

In my state, these fix-it tickets don't come with a fine (if you fix it by the deadline) but with an administrative fee ($25 or so) so perhaps a point could be made that the driver should cover that cost, but definitely not pay for any repairs or late registration fees.

Last edited by jaypee; 06-25-2014 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive