Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 06:01 PM

1,357 posts, read 5,866,824 times

Advertisements

As promised

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 PM

1,289 posts, read 722,793 times
Good pics there! I would go out n get some pics of mine but it happens to be pouring.
I'll reply to more tonight on my comp, I'm on my PDA now.

Quick question: Has anyone had much experience with/ owned an '07 and then switched to an '08 and liked the '08 much better OVERALL(including appearance)??

stay tuned! - no pun intended:-)

Old 02-25-2009, 06:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
To hell with the '08. The '09 is the way to go. STi trim made standard, tighter suspension tuning, and 40 more horsepower. The '09's performance numbers are almost identical to the STi's so unless you intend to mod and need the beefier block and transmission, I don't see a need to get the STi.

And because of this, I think we should expect the STi to get a significant performance upgrade for the '09 or '10 model year.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
check this one : Put Colin McRae's Subaru in Your Driveway | Autopia from Wired.com

Old 02-26-2009, 01:36 AM

1,289 posts, read 722,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
To hell with the '08. The '09 is the way to go. STi trim made standard, tighter suspension tuning, and 40 more horsepower. The '09's performance numbers are almost identical to the STi's so unless you intend to mod and need the beefier block and transmission, I don't see a need to get the STi.

And because of this, I think we should expect the STi to get a significant performance upgrade for the '09 or '10 model year.
ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caution View Post
Wow...only $123,000.00. Let me just sell a few things on ebay and I'll write the check....

Old 02-26-2009, 08:37 AM

yeah, what drover said. the '08 was a letdown by everyone's standards. big props to subaru though, fior listening to their customer base and acting so fast to reconfigure the car. i sent them some of my thoughts, and wrote some letters as well.

overall the new car seems to be more easily tunable, but i'd miss the 4 pot brakes and aluminium hood/trunk if i bought one. though if we're really lucky, they'll stick to their 2 year sheetmetal revamping schedule and take some of the ugly out for 2010.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:29 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
id wonder how long these manus can or will continue their performance rides if the economy doesn't shape up. Being from WI I can toally appreciate the awd when mated to a hi-po drivetrain; but how many wrx/sti's ( and evo's for that matter ) are sold compared to their n/a models?
I hope enough to keep those cars on the road for years to come. While in SC now I don't "need" awd, I have enough trouble getting our 200hp TC to do anything in 1st or 2nd gear, so would luv to geet my hands on more hp with all 4 wheels grabbing pavement. Though my preference ( even for one in their 40's ) was the last style Subie sedan with the big wing and hood scoop...

Old 02-26-2009, 09:34 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
The point is they listened, and that's enough.

FWIW, ranger you might like the boosted Legacy. It's pricey though.

The WRX is looking stronger and less boy racer, IMHO.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
id wonder how long these manus can or will continue their performance rides if the economy doesn't shape up. Being from WI I can toally appreciate the awd when mated to a hi-po drivetrain; but how many wrx/sti's ( and evo's for that matter ) are sold compared to their n/a models?
I hope enough to keep those cars on the road for years to come. While in SC now I don't "need" awd, I have enough trouble getting our 200hp TC to do anything in 1st or 2nd gear, so would luv to geet my hands on more hp with all 4 wheels grabbing pavement. Though my preference ( even for one in their 40's ) was the last style Subie sedan with the big wing and hood scoop...
actually for many years in a row something like half of the impreza line sold in the US were wrx's. which is one of the things that befuddled me with the purposely softy 2008 model - so many of their sales were from the performance model yet they proclaim the need to soften it up to please the customer base? to this day i swear that was toyota's newly bought 11% stake of FHI talking.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:03 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
One of the WRX's selling points is the value proposition. Especially when it first came to North America in 2001, the combination of performance and utility was unmatched in its price range. It was hailed as a virtual poor man's M3. But six years with no significant performance/power increase started to get stale (esp. as weight started to creep up) and gave competitors a chance to catch up. Finally with the MY2009 improvements, the WRX is again the no-brainer performance bargain that it was in 2001. Someone looking for an entry-level car is not going to cross-shop a WRX. But someone who has a rather modest 25 grand to spend on a new car may find it a rather attractive option, especially compared to what else their money could buy.

The same can't necessarily be said of the STi, which can now be optioned up to nearly $40,000. They're going to have to do something drastic to the STi for the 2009 or 2010 model year to make it worthwhile again. IMO the STi is starting to look like a replay of the Japanese performance car scene in the mid-90s where they priced themselves way out of the reach of their target market. Exchange rates back then didn't help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive