Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 03:15 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times

Advertisements

On anything built in the last 15 - 20 years, front hubs are a non issue. You have a front differential and a transfer case for additional fluid checking/changes, but that is it. Maintenance issues on my 4x4 truck have not necessarily been 4x4 related. Only drive train issues have been rear drive shaft universals, but that happens, but could be related from driving hundreds of miles on soft sand beaches of the years.

Just don't let the armatures at quick lube places anywhere near your transfer case, they will put the wrong fluid in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 03:46 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
On anything built in the last 15 - 20 years, front hubs are a non issue. You have a front differential and a transfer case for additional fluid checking/changes, but that is it. Maintenance issues on my 4x4 truck have not necessarily been 4x4 related. Only drive train issues have been rear drive shaft universals, but that happens, but could be related from driving hundreds of miles on soft sand beaches of the years.

Just don't let the armatures at quick lube places anywhere near your transfer case, they will put the wrong fluid in
Except the 99-2003 F-350 front hubs/lock outs....I've smoked SEVERAL of those....I do not know if that problem was fixed for later models or not.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
4WD cost more initially when you buy it than a 2wd and the insurance will probably be more but other than that, there is really no higher cost than a 2wd. And please stay away from jiffy lube. Learn to do your own maintanance. I have had a 4WD 4Runner for 14 years now and have never had a problem with the 4WD system.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 PM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Of course if anyone wants to talk of "there's more to go wrong with them", then perhaps i should kindly remind them that newer vehicles with electric windows, seats, locks and electronic fuel injection have more to go wrong with them than manual crank windows, manual seats, manual locks and carburetors?
I'll take FI over a Carb any day on my Jeep.

The point people make is simple.

There's an extra diff.
There's an extra drive line.
There's a transfer case.
There's more rotating mass.
There is more to "break" at the most basic level of the drive train.
They get less miles per gallon (normally)
They are heavier and cost more.

The fact that one poster found a garage that charges the same for routine stuff is good, and I wonder if they'd change out the oil in the diffs at 2 for 1? I do mine every year. Or if the flush and fill on the tranny would be the same considering the transfer case? If so, stick with 'em

Bottom line though, most 4WD owners never go off road, so they won't "break stuff" at any greater rate than anyone else.

As far as needing to own one, farmers and contractors need them. People who live in the country where roads may be impassable otherwise need them. People who drive in heavy snow need them (or an AWD car that probably handles better on a snowy road anyway).

As far as buying one, I say hell yeah. I love mine, it's lifted and locked and modified all to hell, including custom parts and cut out fenders. Mine costs more to maintain because it's a daily driver I can go play with.

Any 4WD is going to cost more to buy, own and operate than the exact model that is 2WD. Maybe a little more only, but more.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:49 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Except the 99-2003 F-350 front hubs/lock outs....I've smoked SEVERAL of those....I do not know if that problem was fixed for later models or not.
There are always exceptions, but as a general rule 90%+ of 4x4 vehicles do not have manual locking hubs.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:35 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,080,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There are always exceptions, but as a general rule 90%+ of 4x4 vehicles do not have manual locking hubs.
late models,you are 100% right....

I like the way my truck is set up now (Chevy),but I know that model has had a bit of trouble in the past too with the hubs engaging...so far,so good for me tho' and I use my 4x4 several times per week during rain or snowy days and it HAS to work for me ( I sold my last tractor the other day,so until I run across another one I'd be SOL without having to call a neighbor to pull me out..... and I despise doing that).

A friend of mine who owns a Chevy 1ton 4x4 like mine is adding this
4x4 Posi-Lok Positive Axle Engagement System for Chevy/GMC K-Series 4x4s
to his truck this weekend (I looked at his kit this past sunday and it looks REALLY well made) and if it does what it is supposed to do ,he's going to install one on mine too.....I already have a posi rear end and the addition of this kit will make this truck a total slick stuff monster plus I can use low range without the 4x4 engaged and that will save wear on my clutch in some instances

Since posters on here scared me with their info on the 8.1 ,I have decided to keep what I've got and not trade up...besides,it's paid for and I can't afford to upgrade right now without having to finance part of it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive