Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 04:36 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,362,151 times

Advertisements

* calms down *

OK, if I were to give the Japanese car firms credit where credit is due, it's reliability. They proved that cars didn't have to break down every 5,000 miles. The prevailing attitude about cars back in the 60s and 70s was that they are complicated machines and it is inevitable that they break down eventually. The Japanese proved that mentality incorrect. I give them that.

Certain segments of the car industry has learned and followed that as well. Like the Ford Focus. My dad owns one, from 02, and it's the most reliable car I know. It's never gone wrong and it now has ~150k miles on it.

Also, don't get me wrong, there are certain cars I enjoy from Japan. The WRX STi is one mean car, I loved riding in my friend's on track day. Not as much as my Z4, but that is personal preference. The Miata is another. And let us not forget the godlike RX-7, rest in peace. They can make good cars for sure.

However one thing I cannot excuse is the blatant copying of design and passing it off as their own. I really wish American car firms would sue the pants off them for that. Then they can focus on making excellent cars, like I know they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,790,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
People get Acuras and lexus's because they don't want the repair bills that come with Cadillacs and BMW's.
That's what I was thinking. Acuras and Lexus's are still built over in the Japanese plants last I knew. Much as I hate to say it, being a muscle car fan as a kid, the Japanese factory made cars have given me less trouble per mile than any other cars I've owned.

Cadillac... not sure, but still Detroit? And some BMW's (last one I owned) was made in Africa. Got rid of it pronto after finding that out, as well as BMW magazine itself saying that the radiators typically needed to be replaced at 90K miles. Geez, I've had old Firebirds with radiators that went longer than that!

One family member had a Caddi that burst into flames after a long drive. The AC wiring got hot and lit up the interior.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
People get Acuras and lexus's because they don't want the repair bills that come with Cadillacs and BMW's.

In a way this is true but I work for a Lexus dealer and some brake parts are really expensive. I have people call me asking for part numbers thinking they to get them cheaper at a Toyota dealer.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:23 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times
Face it... import lovers have taken a huge ego hit since the V came out... remember guys, its OK to lose once and a while.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:39 AM

3,042 posts, read 5,002,336 times
Maybe some people are willing to trade a bit of performance for the reliability that comes with Japanese cars. Look at the Consumer Reports ratings for the CTS, compared to Acura/Lexus.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM

2,224 posts, read 3,614,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Face it... import lovers have taken a huge ego hit since the V came out... remember guys, its OK to lose once and a while.

I love cars in general, but I dont think the M3 or M5 for that matter have lost anything to the CTS-V. Its a phenomional car, but the MSeries cars are phenominal handling and performance cars.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:18 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Maybe it is just me, but a Caddy is an older person's car. I am not ready for AARP or a Caddy yet.... For my daily driver, I'd take the Acura TL over any of these. The Lexus is too flashy for me; I like the Acura's understated-ness. The BMW 3 series is a lot of fun (especially as a convertible with a 5 speed), but they are not as reliable as the Acura and cost a lot for parts and labor to fix. Of course, if you want pure speed and HP, a Subie STi will outperform any of these cars stock and has even more power given the aftermarket products available....

Old 03-02-2009, 10:47 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,336,177 times
It might be seen as a flash in the pan with a Vette engine from a failing car company.

For people who look beyond the respectable times on the Ring or 0-60, it isn't an attractive purchase unless you want to drive a Caddy. It's a stigma maybe.

I don't quite understand ANY hi-po sedan owners myself (the CSTV, the ISF, the M3, M5, etc). So these are just observations.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:52 AM

41 posts, read 175,275 times
Probably the vast majority of car buyers are not enthusiasts. They probably bought it because of the car's looks and comfort. These people probably don't care if the appearance is based on another car, or if it is fwd or rwd.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:00 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,338,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Maybe it is just me, but a Caddy is an older person's car. I am not ready for AARP or a Caddy yet.... For my daily driver, I'd take the Acura TL over any of these. The Lexus is too flashy for me; I like the Acura's understated-ness. The BMW 3 series is a lot of fun (especially as a convertible with a 5 speed), but they are not as reliable as the Acura and cost a lot for parts and labor to fix. Of course, if you want pure speed and HP, a Subie STi will outperform any of these cars stock and has even more power given the aftermarket products available....
Amen to that brother!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive