Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 12:38 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times

Advertisements

I think you can expect to see more traffic cameras and traffic cops out on the roads issuing tickets. States need to raise revenue, and it's gotta come from somewhere.

Last time I got a ticket at a red light due to a camera, it costs me $350 plus another $100 on traffic school. I don't make a habit out of driving through red lights. I looked up, saw a yellow light, didn't have time to stop, and boom, it turned red. So frustrating, and I'm sure it's happened to many people. And so expensive.

Get the Feeling You're Being Watched? If You're Driving, You Just Might Be - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,457,959 times
Hmmm. Interesting. Just found this article posted on another thread in the finance section. Guess we better all slow down...

Traffic cameras could help wipe out city's projected deficit :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: City Hall (http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/1479275,red-light-camera-uninsured-031609.article - broken link)

Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 PM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
I've read similar comments. You are right, I have seen A LOT more speed trapping etc. going on.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:36 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,629,100 times
The cameras at intersections that generate tickets for running a light does not bring any revenue to a city. The company that installs the camera gets the fees.

I did hear that there was a bunch of hiring for officers. I might see one cop a day, they are scarse now days.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:56 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,544,179 times
I believe anyone who thinks that red light cameras are a good idea ought to be required to drive through an intersection on a rainy day with an unloaded tractor trailer. With a 2-second "yellow". That's one heckuva choice; do I run the light and pay a fine. Or do I slam on the brakes, hoping like h*ll the trailer doesn't jacknife and hurt or kill someone. Despite almost a million safe miles behind me, I still get a major "pucker factor" every time I'm confronted with that choice...

Ferretkona, the city and the company that installs the camers normally have a contract to split the revenue the cameras earn. According to an editorial in a recent issue of Car & Driver magazine, red light & speed camera tickets have been based on "civil" penalties, which removes the "right to face your accuser" and other legal protections. The insurance industry is also chomping at the bit to be able to access these tickets and hike your insurance premiums as a result...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:04 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
The cameras at intersections that generate tickets for running a light does not bring any revenue to a city. The company that installs the camera gets the fees.

I did hear that there was a bunch of hiring for officers. I might see one cop a day, they are scarse now days.
The camera tickets DO create revenue for the city. I don't know where you heard different, but they wouldn't be there if they weren't making money for the city. If fact, several cities have been sued over the cameras, and they have been declared illegal for the fact the camera companies do get a cut of the profit. The cut they get is one thing that make then illegal...! By them getting a cut, they have a stake in making sure you get a ticket. That is something that is not allowed..!
I received a red light camera ticket last November, and I am fighting the ticket in court. Since receiving the ticket, I have done a lot of studying, so I'm well versed on the subject. I have a legal packet almost an inch thick, and I'm ready to do battle on April 11th.
My fine is $420.00, plus one hundred to attend traffic school should I lost my case. I had to pay the ticket, and will get the money back if I win the case. I feel I have a good chance to prevail, since I have noted several thing done illegally by the city, which should render the verdict in my favor. One of the big things in my favor, there is no sign warning that the intersection is monitored by a camera, which is required by law. That intersection has the signs posted in three out of the four directions, but not in the direction I was traveling. That was five months ago, and there is still no sign. There are several other things in my favor, but I've bored you long enough. My attorney says well over 80% of the people who fight camera tickets prevail.
Incidentally, the cities where the camera's were declared illegal continue to issue them, and continue to take your money if you chose not to fight the ticket.
The camera shows my vehicle entering the intersection when the light had been red .020 of a second..! The light had been red less than 1/4 of a second. Had I entered it a few seconds late, I'd pay the fine and go on my way.
I know I will get some nasty comments in here, that I should pay the ticket since I probably deserve it, but those same people will be writing me for information when they get their ticket...

Old 03-27-2009, 02:09 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,891,276 times
Crew Chief brings up another good point. They have been studies that prove the camera's cause accidents because people are so paranoid that they tend to slam on the brakes rather than risk a ticket.
So.... less people running lights, but a lot more rear-enders....
Are you an NHRA Crew Chief, or.....

Old 03-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Donn2390, this is one driver that is solidly behind you! Red light/speed cameras are REALLY about revenue. Lengthening the "yellow" duration would cut WAAAY down on red light runners and make our roads safer. But NOOOOO, our politicians don't have the intestinal fortitude to call it a "tax"; they just put up the cameras and make their extra revenue that way.

Best of luck on your court fight! Keep us posted to the outcome!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,038,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
plus another $100 on traffic school.
Does this give anybody a hint about a growth industry investment possibility during these hard times? If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

Here's how traffic cameras work. The city contracts with the private sector to set up the cameras and monitoring software. The private company gets the first $xxx off the top each month or year, and the city then gets a percentage of any additional take. So if the cameras do not trap enough drivers, the city gets nothing.

Virtually every city that uses them has shown an increase in the number of rear-end collisions at intersections, as drivers slam on the brakes the instant they see a yellow light. As usual, law enforcement is not a tool of public safety, it is a tool of entrapment revenue.

Here's another safety/enforcement patadox. School crosswalk, 15 mph. Where are your eyes? On the crosswwalk, or on your speedometer?

Last edited by jtur88; 03-27-2009 at 02:34 PM..

Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
Are you an NHRA Crew Chief, or.....
Nope, I worked on something a little faster; F-4s and F-15s!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive