Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 10:05 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
HHO doesn't work.
That's a pretty firm statement, sir. Just HOW do you know that it is absolutely true? Please, give us the background for such a definitive statement.
I just DON'T KNOW it it works, so I am always looking for proof, one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 05:37 AM

1,000 posts, read 3,602,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
That's a pretty firm statement, sir. Just HOW do you know that it is absolutely true? Please, give us the background for such a definitive statement.
I just DON'T KNOW it it works, so I am always looking for proof, one way or the other.

It violates the laws of thermodynamics. The additional load put on the alternator would offset the gains (if there really were any).

Not to mention the fact that if you actually are able to produce any Hydrogen, you're turning your car into a bomb.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Again, I'll reiterate......Building a HHO generator that can produce enuf supplimentary fuel to make any difference at all to the size engine it is supplementing is the hurdle here. HHO burns, just like propane, CNG, Methane, Nitrous, etc......Even saltwater can be ignited with the application of a set frequency of radio waves and an ignition source. But if I have to drag a 6000 lb trailer behind my truck everywhere I go, because thats the size the HHO generator needs to be to produce enuf fuel for my engine then it is not a very practical way to go. But with the passage of time, and newer technology, maybe, it could be viable in the future..
c

You'll never shrink it down enough to make a net energy gain. It would violate laws of Physics.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:10 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,728,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
It violates the laws of thermodynamics. The additional load put on the alternator would offset the gains (if there really were any).

Not to mention the fact that if you actually are able to produce any Hydrogen, you're turning your car into a bomb.

Well, now we're getting someplace.......Keep in mind, the key operative word here has been "supplimentary" fuel. So if I have a one time cost for the materials in the HHO generator(I'm aware that the plates erode over time, and have to be replaced, and you will need to add more water at intervals also.)and you have an alternator that can handle the additional load, you can theoretically reduce the amount of primary fuel being burned. It is the primary fuel, be it Diesel or Gasoline that we have to keep paying for every time we go to the pump for more.

That is where the potential saving occurs. Perhaps I have to replace my alternator a little more often than I do now, and have the additional chore of adding a few cups of water to top off the generator each week. If doing that saves several hundred dollars at the pump over a period of months, perhaps there's a benefit. I'm not saying there is, just that I'm not willing to poo poo the notion without some further scrutiny like you, apparently are.

While I respect your view, you arent giving alot of substance with your argument. Eventually, as time permits, I'll make my own HHO generator and try it out on my own turbo Diesel, to see what, if anything, it does.

As for your sensationalistic statement about turning my car into a bomb...producing and burning the supplimentary HHO in an almost instantaneous manner is far less volitile than carrying around ten gallons of liquid gasoline in a twenty gallon tank(ten gallon volume of fumes), dont ya think?

Last edited by Compression; 04-13-2009 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-13-2009, 07:47 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,791,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrogen Boost Now View Post
blah blah blah...
Explain how you get around the law of conservation of energy. What's next - are you going to market us perpetual motion machines?

Old 04-13-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Well, now we're getting someplace.......Keep in mind, the key operative word here has been "supplimentary" fuel. So if I have a one time cost for the materials in the HHO generator(I'm aware that the plates erode over time, and have to be replaced, and you will need to add more water at intervals also.)and you have an alternator that can handle the additional load, you can theoretically reduce the amount of primary fuel being burned. It is the primary fuel, be it Diesel or Gasoline that we have to keep paying for every time we go to the pump for more.

That is where the potential saving occurs. Perhaps I have to replace my alternator a little more often than I do now, and have the additional chore of adding a few cups of water to top off the generator each week. If doing that saves several hundred dollars at the pump over a period of months, perhaps there's a benefit. I'm not saying there is, just that I'm not willing to poo poo the notion without some further scrutiny like you, apparently are.

While I respect your view, you arent giving alot of substance with your argument. Eventually, as time permits, I'll make my own HHO generator and try it out on my own turbo Diesel, to see what, if anything, it does.

As for your sensationalistic statement about turning my car into a bomb...producing and burning the supplimentary HHO in an almost instantaneous manner is far less volitile than carrying around ten gallons of liquid gasoline in a twenty gallon tank(ten gallon volume of fumes), dont ya think?
The size of the mechanism is irrevelant.. If a small device nets 2 HP, it's costing you 3 HP to full field your alternator constantly. There's no way around it.

As to your second point, you're not carrying around gasoline in a jelly jar bungee corded to the inside of your engine compartment.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
No, this violates the law of conservation of energy. Look at it as a closed system. You have a bunch of water that you want to break down into H2 and O2 atoms. In order to do this you will have to apply energy to do this work.

Now you want to react the H2 and O2 atoms, resulting in water and released energy. No problem there. BUT the energy released will not be more than what was put into the initial reaction. Otherwise you would have a perpetual motion machine because you could keep on breaking down and combusting the water / H2 +O2 atoms with a net energy gain. That's what they're trying to sell to you. The idea that you can keep breaking down and rebuilding the same hydrogen and oxygen atoms with an imagined net gain from the reaction.

The only way around this is to apply energy from an external source, such as from a battery that is not related to the internal combustion engine in the car or truck. But even then, charging up that battery isn't free.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:01 AM

How does introducing more fuel change anything? The gasoline you're already running isn't burned completely, explaining that catalytic converter hanging underneath every car built after the mid 70's.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 AM

It doesn't change anything - adding H2 and O2 which is broken down as a result of power from the IC engine will not result in a net gain.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:44 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
I think there are some people out there that have done this successfully. Check this thread out:

HHO injection on 2002 Blazer Xtreme 4.3L Results - S-10 Forum

That being said the gains are certainly not 30-40-50% gains like the scammers will have you believe.

Keep in mind with the energy thing, you aren't really creating energy from nothing you are just releasing energy. Kind of like a Nuclear reactor. It uses energy but releases more usable energy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive