Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 04:56 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,986 times

Advertisements

rebuilding. I posted a thread a while back on buying a large SUV. Now I was wondering about buying a used E350 passenger or cargo van in the 3000 to 5000.00 range and replacing all ball joints, tie rod ends, rotors and pads, bearings, shocks, tires, etc. wheather it needs it or not.

Then replace motor and trans later. I would not buy anything older than a 2000 model. I also might look into older custom vans as they seem to go for

a lot less money.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Out of curiosity, why would you replace all those front-end parts "whether it needs it or not"?

I've got a Chevy truck with 220,000 miles and a VW Golf with 350,000 miles. In both vehicles, all those parts are still rock solid.

I guess maybe I'm more of a "fix it as it needs it" person...

Old 04-11-2009, 12:05 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,770,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you replace all those front-end parts "whether it needs it or not"?

I've got a Chevy truck with 220,000 miles and a VW Golf with 350,000 miles. In both vehicles, all those parts are still rock solid.

I guess maybe I'm more of a "fix it as it needs it" person...
I change it normally as needed to but I am not a fix it guy and I want reliability at its best. If I owned car from new and had a lot of miles on it, then that would be different. I have a 3rd owner car now with 150,000 miles on it and have never taken it out of city limits cause I don't trust it.

Ball joint went out and dropped to frame and would not move, luckly only going 2mph, could have been very bad. Tie rod end checked by respectable mechanic 6 months ago and now needs replaced causing steering problems. Transmission needs replaced as of last week. I don't have money to replace stuff all the time so when I have money I would rather have all new.

I will probably just buy something with 10,000 to 25,000 miles on it and just be done with it. We don't put many miles on so should last many years.

Thanks for reply.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:12 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,684,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
I change it normally as needed to but I am not a fix it guy and I want reliability at its best. If I owned car from new and had a lot of miles on it, then that would be different. I have a 3rd owner car now with 150,000 miles on it and have never taken it out of city limits cause I don't trust it.

Ball joint went out and dropped to frame and would not move, luckly only going 2mph, could have been very bad. Tie rod end checked by respectable mechanic 6 months ago and now needs replaced causing steering problems. Transmission needs replaced as of last week. I don't have money to replace stuff all the time so when I have money I would rather have all new.

I will probably just buy something with 10,000 to 25,000 miles on it and just be done with it. We don't put many miles on so should last many years.

Thanks for reply.
That makes sense.

I guess my approach includes getting under my vehicles regularly and looking things over pretty closely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive