Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 07:58 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times

Advertisements

I'm set to replace the a/c on my wifes Jetta tomorrow and was looking for tips on the PAG oil and when and where to put it in. Does it go in the compressor? The receiver/dryer-accumulator? Or somewhere else? Typically how much? Where would the specs be located? I'll be replacing the compressor, receiver/dryer, and expansion valve, (and associated o-rings) flushing with fluid and then blowing air thru it. Also I'll take it to a shop to evacuate and recharge the system but I'm just worried about ruining the new compressor if I don't put oil in the right spots.

Also if I put oil in the compressor and install it and drive the car 5 miles to evacuate and recharge will the compressor be damaged? Or will there not be oil in the system to lubricate it? Should I fill it with a bottle or two of the 134a/oil combo as well in my garage to drive 5 miles to evacuate/recharge? Will that hurt it? I don't want to damage the new compressor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
First off- find out how much oil the system is suppose to have.
Generally, a new compressor will have oil in it. Drain that oil into a measuring cup- subtract from total. Put oil back into compressor. The balance of oil needed can be put in the dryer. Seal up system, and go get it evacuated and charged.
Driving the car wouldn't hurt the compressor as long as it isn't on. If your not sure about it being on regardless of the controls inside- just disconnect the electro-magnet connection for the clutch.
One word of caution- most compressor failures are due to piston ring failure. Shards from the rings travel through the condensor and get lodged, creating a blockage. Which in turn can lead to another failure. Simply "flushing" and "blowing air through it" isn't enough. You really need a combination of both at the same time and in the opposite direction of normal flow. There is a device that was on the market that used a compressed tank of mineral spirits that used a pulsing action. It's amazing the crap it would clean out of a condensor.

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 04-21-2009 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 09:16 AM

Excellent OK thanks I will examine the condenser thoroughly and run what I can thru it. I have bottle that I can fill with compressed air and put some flush liquid in there to blow it at the same time - I'll try that as well. I think you are right in the fact that it failed due to bad rings as it went slowly and cooled better at higher RPM than at lower RPM.

I'm wondering now if I should spend the $150 and get another condenser as well.

If I unplug the electronic plug will they still be able to vacuum and fill the compressor or do I need to plug it in right before I take it to the shop (as in the parking lot).

Old 04-21-2009, 10:28 AM

946 posts, read 2,603,538 times
You should go talk to the shop doing the work. They will put oil in when they evac and recharge. If you put oil in, then the tech is left wondering exactly how much is really in the system.

If your compressor fragmented, replace condensor, dryer and hoses or be prepared for premature compressor failure.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
You'll probably be OK on the condensor if you flush it several times (try to catch what comes out so you can see if in fact there is ring shards and whatever else, like rust. And if you see rust I'd replace).
If the system was (is) still under pressure, you usually don't have to replace the dryer. This has been an on-going debate for years (dealers always insisted that dryers should be replaced everytime a system is opened!). A dryer is nothing more than a holding tank with a desecant crystal bag inside. If you can feel a noticeable difference in weight when moving the bag around- replace it. It's absorbed too much moisture. Other than that there is no need to replace-

Old 04-21-2009, 03:53 PM

Well an interesting development happened. After I buttoned up my car and put the front clip back on it I went to go get the a/c flush kit from autozone. While driving home about 1 mile from home I learned I failed to put the hood latch on my car. Yep you guessed it, hood came up @ 60 mph and broke the windshield. The hood is dented as well, pretty badly. Sadly I won't get to do this a/c job, which sucks because I really wanted learn how. I'm returning everything and selling the compressor kit I bought. I am replacing the windshield and will sell the car as is or trade it in and get another one. It sucks, this was a great looking car . Live and learn. Thanks for your wisdom K'ledgeBldr.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well an interesting development happened. After I buttoned up my car and put the front clip back on it I went to go get the a/c flush kit from autozone. While driving home about 1 mile from home I learned I failed to put the hood latch on my car. Yep you guessed it, hood came up @ 60 mph and broke the windshield. The hood is dented as well, pretty badly. Sadly I won't get to do this a/c job, which sucks because I really wanted learn how. I'm returning everything and selling the compressor kit I bought. I am replacing the windshield and will sell the car as is or trade it in and get another one. It sucks, this was a great looking car . Live and learn. Thanks for your wisdom K'ledgeBldr.
Wow, that bites! Sorry to hear about that.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:29 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Hell, just replace the hood, have a glass guy put in a new windshield, then get right back on that hoss, so to speak.

I don't see how selling this car makes any sense. It's not like a dog that bit you.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Hell, just replace the hood, have a glass guy put in a new windshield, then get right back on that hoss, so to speak.

I don't see how selling this car makes any sense. It's not like a dog that bit you.
Well there are multiple things wrong with it. Besides burning a quart every 800 miles it will need the timing chain guides done. Also my wife likes the car and I think it looks great but I've never been thrilled about this particular VW, and its quality issues. So this is more an excuse to cut and run, we're thinking about a Toyota Corolla, 2005-ish.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:47 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
You wouldn't be going from a Jetta to a Corolla because you are old, you would be old because you are going from a Jetta to a Corolla...

Said somewhat tongue in cheek, but I do have the 82 Scirocco and an 87 Camry, no contest which one is more fun to drive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive