Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 09:05 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC View Post
Learning to drive is the last of your worries. How much do you know about working on a 67 vintage car. They don't exactly run like a modern car. If you can't work on it yourself then that could really add to the overall cost of owning a car like that.
If the OP has any mechanical expertise, working on a 67 Mustang should be cake. They're not as complex as the newer cars are. Especially if it's a 6 cylinder car....you can stand in the engine compartment to change plugs and almost change the starter too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2009, 09:19 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
If the OP has any mechanical expertise, working on a 67 Mustang should be cake. They're not as complex as the newer cars are. Especially if it's a 6 cylinder car....you can stand in the engine compartment to change plugs and almost change the starter too.
I never said they were hard to work on, but they will need someone to care for it. Tune ups are fairly easy, for someone that has some mechanical aptitude. I'm just trying to find out if they know what they are getting into. My guess is someone that has to ask if driving it is hard might not have much of a mechanical background.

Old 05-18-2009, 09:25 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Well, that kind of leads to the other issue. What would you do?
The car is being given to us. We currently have a 2006 Toyota Matrix and a 2007 Mustang GT convertible. We recently moved and my wife has a 7 minute walk to work. I drive 1.5 miles. We don't want to have 3 cars and really only "need" one car. The 2006 Matrix is paid for and has about 51k miles. The convertible we will keep and we are debating on selling one of the other two. The '67 has had a pretty thorough restoration done over the past two years. It is reliable. The '06 has the modern safety features and the warranty, etc. I am thinking the market to sell might be better/easier for the Matrix and I could drive the '67 to work and back (3 miles total) and use for other small daily trips. What do you think?

Old 05-18-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
I never said they were hard to work on, but they will need someone to care for it. Tune ups are fairly easy, for someone that has some mechanical aptitude. I'm just trying to find out if they know what they are getting into. My guess is someone that has to ask if driving it is hard might not have much of a mechanical background.
Good points. My mechanical knowledge is not vast. Although I have seen the car I haven't really thought about owning it. I am going to scrutinize it more the weekend. It would not be driven much. I would have someone else do the maintenance, but we do that on all of our cars anyhow.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:14 AM

6,804 posts, read 9,354,170 times
It's not hard to learn ESPECIALLY since you can already drive an automatic. You'll get the hang of it. I learned on an automatic and then learned how to drive a stick and it took me 2-3 days at best to get really comfortable with it.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:20 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Good points. My mechanical knowledge is not vast. Although I have seen the car I haven't really thought about owning it. I am going to scrutinize it more the weekend. It would not be driven much. I would have someone else do the maintenance, but we do that on all of our cars anyhow.
Sounds like you have things taken care of. The person who does your maintenance now will probably look forward to you bringing it in, I know I would.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you have things taken care of. The person who does your maintenance now will probably look forward to you bringing it in, I know I would.
Right. If we find that we think the maintenance costs will be too much, I'll have someone give us an idea of value we'll choose to get rid of it. We won't be losing anything.

Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,610,481 times
15 minutes to learn, 2 days to get comfortable.

Old 05-18-2009, 12:07 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Well, that kind of leads to the other issue. What would you do?
The car is being given to us. We currently have a 2006 Toyota Matrix and a 2007 Mustang GT convertible. We recently moved and my wife has a 7 minute walk to work. I drive 1.5 miles. We don't want to have 3 cars and really only "need" one car. The 2006 Matrix is paid for and has about 51k miles. The convertible we will keep and we are debating on selling one of the other two. The '67 has had a pretty thorough restoration done over the past two years. It is reliable. The '06 has the modern safety features and the warranty, etc. I am thinking the market to sell might be better/easier for the Matrix and I could drive the '67 to work and back (3 miles total) and use for other small daily trips. What do you think?
Shoot if it's free then take it. You may not ever get another chance to own a classic Mustang again. Heck I'd take it. Get rid of the Matrix. Have 2 Mustangs.

P.S. how are you getting it free? Inheritance?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:19 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Honestly the best way to learn to drive stick is to find a good professional driving (street) school, like the ones you send your 16-year old kid to to help them pass the driving test. This way you have a professional instructor who does not have any equity stake in the car, it's all about teaching you to drive with the stickshift.

Next best would be an old beater car out in a field or really big parking lot and just teach yourself.

Keep in mind it's not about how few times you stall the engine starting out. Any numbskull can learn to slip the hell out of the clutch, which will wear it out pronto.

You didn't ask, but consistently driving a car 1.5 miles one way is very adverse service, the oil will never heat up fully, you will definitely build up sludge if you take a "grandma" trip like this every day and never go for a real drive and fully warm the car up. Frequent oil changes will help but won't completely overcome the problem.

About the only car that would tolerate this type of service is an old air-cooled VW bug, even then I'd say change the oil every 1000 miles.

If you drive the 'stang in the winter on salted roads you'll rust it out in a few years, regardless of nostrums like washing and waxing the car frequently or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive