Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:37 PM

78,408 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Other than common sense? Not at my magic fingertips, but Google it and you'll find hundreds of articles about it.

Common sense ought to tell you that though. When times are bad, do you see city governments tightening the belt? No, they write more tickets.

All major highways can support 80-90 MPH, but then they can't write speeding tickets.

If you insist, I can find article later tonight. If your common sense gauge is broken.
Oh, I agree with you about the interstates but I find most in-town speed limits to *generally* be acceptable.

The argument about writing more tickets is thin, they can always just get people for rolling through stop-signs easy peasy.

You can drive 80 on the interstate in the KC area and pretty much not get a ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
The argument about writing more tickets isn't thin when the government comes right out and says they plan to step up enforcement or raise the monetary penalty as part of a broader plan to close a budget gap. City of Chicago generates 50 million a year in revenue just from red light cameras. And that doesn't count the portion paid to the company operating the damn things. This city makes only token efforts to deny the fact that they see your car as a cash cow but everyone knows better so they only go so far in their attempt to insult the citizens' intelligence.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:51 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Or consider Arizona, where they actually plan on ticket camera revenue in the state budget.

Take a look at NMA's website, not exactly an unbiased peer-reviewed scientific journal, but they point out more than enough smoke to make me think they have found a fire or two.

Old 05-21-2009, 04:55 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Thumbs down Juvenile attitudes and no respect for the laws suck.

I didn't read all the posts on this thread but I will say that if someone with the attitude of the OP ever caused me to lose a loved one, me and my lawyers would own your a$$, and everything your kids and grand kids would ever have inherited whether you died in the crash or not. Grow up.

Old 05-21-2009, 05:02 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I didn't read all the posts on this thread but I will say that if someone with the attitude of the OP ever caused me to lose a loved one, me and my lawyers would own your a$$, and everything your kids and grand kids would ever have inherited whether you died in the crash or not. Grow up.
Would you feel the same about a little old lady who "wrong-foots" and stomps the gas instead of the brake on her big old Caddy and runs your kid over?

Why or why not?

Old 05-21-2009, 09:26 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,423,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Oh, I agree with you about the interstates but I find most in-town speed limits to *generally* be acceptable.

The argument about writing more tickets is thin, they can always just get people for rolling through stop-signs easy peasy.

You can drive 80 on the interstate in the KC area and pretty much not get a ticket.

Depends on where you live. Dallas has terrible speed limits, but it's much better int he suburbs.

Interstates around here suck.

I do find in-town limits fine, usually, but people who drive under them should be immediately shot and killed.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:14 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,784,322 times
Non speeder here. I had my shares of tickets in my punk days though. Now I drive at the speed limit or even slower. I drive so slow that 18 wheelers pass me on the highways. Have not had a ticket in about 8 years. Did anybody read about that Ferrari being ripped apart in an alleged high speed race that killed Charles Lewis? It's physics at work. The faster you drive the less time you have to react and the longer it takes to stop. Impact at high speed is more severe than impact at low speed.

MMA star Charles Lewis dies in Ferrari crash -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/sports/custom/boxing/ny-splewis0312,0,1762808.story - broken link)

Last edited by davidt1; 05-22-2009 at 01:55 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 07:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Would you feel the same about a little old lady who "wrong-foots" and stomps the gas instead of the brake on her big old Caddy and runs your kid over?

Why or why not?
I would do the same, only I would include the State in the tort action for allowing someone to drive who should have had the license and car keys taken away years ago. Why ? Because I can and I would savor every minute of it. If you lost a loved one due to someones idiocy or incompetence I think you might feel the same way that I do.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:50 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Non speeder here. I had my shares of tickets in my punk days though. Now I drive at the speed limit or even slower. I drive so slow that 18 wheelers pass me on the highways. Have not had a ticket in about 8 years. Did anybody read about that Ferrari being ripped apart in an alleged high speed race that killed Charles Lewis? It's physics at work. The faster you drive the less time you have to react and the longer it takes to stop. Impact at high speed is more severe than impact at low speed.

MMA star Charles Lewis dies in Ferrari crash -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/sports/custom/boxing/ny-splewis0312,0,1762808.story - broken link)

The Ferrari was going a bit more than ten over the speed limit.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:52 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
About the same here. 3-5 over in the city, and 5-10 over on the interstate.

No offense to the speed demons here, but if you really wanted to get there quicker, you should have left earlier!

You don't get there quicker by leaving earlier, you get there quicker by driving faster. You get there sooner by leaving earlier. Just wanted to clarify that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive