Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,151 times

Advertisements

I am looking to purchase a second hand sports car as my principle means of four wheeled transport and would like some input from people who own any of the following:

1, Chrysler Crossfire
2. Honda S2000
3. Nissan 350
4. Mazda Miata Mx5
5. BMW Z3
6. Mustang Coupe 6 cyl

I am interested to find out information regarding

a. Reliability
b Comfort
c. what to watch out for in each particular car
d. Stigmas or stereotyping of owners of these cars......

I am a male, 53, single, 160lbs, 5'11", motorcyclist by preference but would like to return to the sports car world as I have no interest in purchasing a four door vehicle /SUV's or trucks. Please note I do not have a soft top/hardtop preference in the cars shown above

I am concerned about stigmas or "profiling" of people who own these cars.....my only excuse in this regard may be andropause.....but I would like to have a four wheeled "toy" that I would enjoy driving on long road trips.

Thanks for any comments
Dee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 08:23 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,471 times
Bmw

Old 06-16-2009, 08:29 AM

197 posts, read 378,778 times
They really are all very different cars, what exactly are you looking for your vehicle to do? Or is image your only real concern?? (not trying to be rude, its understandable)

Old 06-16-2009, 09:00 AM

438 posts, read 1,352,151 times
Basically, looking for the comfort and privacy of a two seater. Looking for comfort due to my height. Speed and acceleration are not an issue, as long as it will maintain highway speeds, acceleration for overtaking.

I do not particularly want a car with issues. I have been reading reviews and have personal preferences, but I know I mentioned to a friend of mine that I particularly liked one of them and she suggested that that was not, - quote " a straight man's car" unquote. I was unaware of stigmas associated with sports cars.

I would like the full version ie, all the options. Like a low ride but looking for roadholding, reliability, comfort, all weather driving, and something that looks nice, good consumption and a pleasure to drive. Have been a sports car owner all my life (mainly British sports cars : MG, Triumph, Austin Healy, Jag) and because returning to USA to settle, would like to continue with the love I have for these vehicles.

I do long road trips in my free time and think nothing of driving coast to coast over having to set foot in an airport. Comfort and reliability are the key, fuel consumption is not that important but around 20mpg city would suit me fine.

Thanks for your input
Dee

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I have never had any issue with a BMW Z3, which is a good mix of touring and sport. They are very reliable, and you can fit them with a stronger roll bar for tracks, or for peace of mind, quite easily. The M Roadsters are the fastest, but even the 4-cylinder did not suffer too much in terms of performance. On the list, this would be my first pick.

The S2000 is more of a raw vehicle, with less comfort, but is a very capable sports roadster, though I think it could be a bit uncomfortable for long trips.

The Miata is a very good and reliable roadster, but I tend to think of them more as cars for women, since I have mainly known women who have them, but the mid-engine can make some repairs more expensive.

I would drop the Crossfire from consideration, since it never was that good a vehicle, despite being based on a previous generation Mercedes platform. Quality and reliability were not words that were often used to describe the Crossfire, and the times I was in one I found it to be cramped and had a cheap feel to the interior.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:30 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times
I think you need to drive a few of these and see how you feel about them. Some will ride harder than others, and it is hard to know what you may or may not find acceptable in regards to comfort.

I nearly bought a Crossfire this spring. Wow, the prices seemed right! Then I drove it. I didn’t feel cramped in the cabin, but was not too keen on the visibility or the seats. The seats did not have adjustable lumbar, and I just did not feel comfortable with the way the lumbar was formed in the seat. It also was a little harsh on bumps, but the car did feel solid and well built.

I’m not sure what to make of a V6 Mustang in this list. It probably would be the easiest car to live with on a daily basis, since it will have a roomy trunk, more room in the cabin, and a more highway friendly ride. However, it’s not really a sports car either, but a sporty looking 2 door coupe. I have nothing against them and was, in fact, surprised at how much I liked a V6 rental Mustang I had last year. Still, it just doesn’t seem to fit the other sports cars.

The Miata, S2000, and Z4 are probably closest to your sports car past. I would drive those three and see if any of them do it for you.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:03 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,702,144 times
I would recommend a Miata, 04+ S2000, or 04+ Porsche Boxster if you want a fun car that will offer you great handling in an overall comfortable package with good reliability. The Miata is quite small though - it offers almost nothing for storage and the interior feels cramped despite the car's overall size. A Solstice GXP/Sky Redline offer bigger interiors with even less cargo room. I also prefer convertibles to coupes if you are looking for a fun car.

I would recommend a 04+ Porsche Boxster, Corvette C6, Mustang V6 or Nissan 350Z convertible if you want a bigger car or more of a Grand touring experience out of your sports car. The 350Z is not very good looking imo.

The Z3, while nice, is older and is more tail happy, like 03 or older S2000. I don't recommend Crossfires because I think they are anemic, and I think you'd find the weight of a Mustang too much for an older V6 engine.

The Miata, Z3 and S2000 are the three cars most closely related to the old British roadsters, with the Miata being the closest (smallest, underpowered, great handling), the Z3 next, but they are older, and the S2000 the largest and with the most luggage capacity, but its still very light at around 2800 lbs.

From your list, I'd pick an 04+ S2000 as I don't think any other car on that list is as fun to drive. They are very reliable, have a few issues, a great engine and power, get good mpg, and I could see driving one coast to coast. If you want a bit more highway comfort, a C6 would fit the bill and it would be quieter in the cabin than a rag top and still gets great mpg. Both of these cars will get over 30 mpg on the highway.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,334,091 times
From what you described, it sounds like a BMW Z3 or Z4 would be the best fit.

The MX-5 is a great, tossable roadster, but unless you buy the 09/10 loaded, it's never been what most would consider a well-appointed car. The model has done so well becuase it's a simple, fun roadster at a good price.

I own an S2000, and if driven at or near the limit, it's a very quick car. The power comes on late in the RPM range, so you probably wouldn't like the noise or the personality change of VTEC (they make power to 8K or 9K depending on MY). It is spartan by design and unless you get a later model with traction control, isn't a very polite or forgiving car (That's probably why I love the S2K.)

I wouldn't consider the Mustang convertible since it's not a roadster, and the Crossfire really never made sense to me. I'm sure the new Nissan 350Z is a nice car, but the styling is more in your face, and again, it's not a roadster.

Many will tell you to buy a car DESIGNED without a top. I will agree.

That BMW Z3/Z4 is a nice, well-appointed, rather smooth, quick little car by most accounts I've read. It also has that "far-back" layout to give you a little more room. That being said, I've not driven one since the first gen US Z3, and that was only for an extended "lemme borrow your car" deal (about 20 minutes).

Old 06-16-2009, 11:57 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
The Mustang V6 doesn't belong on the list. It is a dog, very unsophisticated, and very ordinary. The Mustang GT or other V8 versions are much more interesting. I know speed isn't a factor but the V6 is more of a high school girls car than any car on the list.

The Crossfire is a gentlemen's (or gentle lady) sporty car. Interesting looks but is not close to a sports car.

The Miata MX-5 in any year is a reliable, fun car to drive. It is generally inexpensive to buy and maintain. A huge aftermarket for accessories - whether for comfort or performance. Many women own them - but many men too. The MX-5 is widely raced. Older Miatas are noisy and not very comfortable for long drives. The new metal hardtop version is VERY nice. bmwguydc is wrong - it not a mid-engine. The Miata is pathetically easy to work on. I know since we own a 1990. I just replaced all four shocks, the clutch master cylinder, the plugs, and the plug wires.

The S2000 has been decribed well above. No need to add to it.

I am not a fan of the Z3 but mostly because of looks. I prefer the sharper shape of the Z4. I know the reputation of these cars is pretty good - but each visit for service will cost more.

The 350Z is a good all around blend of sports car. I think the convertible is really ugly with the top up.

The Infiniti G35 is mechanically very similar but oriented more towards comfort. It might be a very good choice for long drives.

The Mazda RX8 might be worth a look. Needs revs for acceleration but those revs are very smooth. Comfortable and very good balance of handling and comfort. Reliable but fuel economy is below average.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:22 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
I can only add the following to what's already been said - how are parts/service availability there in South America? That might make the most differnece.

Offhand I don't think you are too tall for a Miata, but you are getting close. I would suggest you at least sit in one and preferably take a reasonable test drive, if you are 5'11" but "all legs" it may not work for you. The Miata would be my choice from what you have listed, winning on MPG, tossability, parts/accesory availability, dedicated user group, reliabilty. People who are not real car guys and who have never driven or owned on will diss them as "hairdresser's cars", and they are not loaded with "butch" power like a Vette or Viper, but they are fast enough to be interesting. And you can do all sorts of upgrades to the engine if you are into that sort of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive