Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times

Advertisements

Riddle me this....

YouTube - Cash For Clunkers

They say for a car to qualify for CFC, the car has to be newer than 25 years old and get this.....it has to be roadworthy!

Ok....let's get this straight.

So if I drive in with....lets say a 1988 F150 1/2 ton....holes rusted in the floor board....shocks worn out....engine burning oil due to valve seals worn.....been sitting in a field for 10 years....none of the lights work....horn doesn't work....steering worn out....brakes barely stop it....couldn't pass a vehicle inspection to save it's life...

Would they not take it in???

Why not?

To me this is what an "unroadworthy" vehicle would be.

So let's think....they're going to destroy the engine....then crush the rest of it. So what difference does it make if it's unroadworthy?

It's not going back on the road!

So what am I missing here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:08 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,244,020 times
Because our government leaders are idiots. A little over 10 years ago, they had a similar program in Phoenix, Arizona where I am from. The difference was, they were giving $500 in cash for older cars. At the time, I had a 1981 Mustang that had an engine that was on its last legs. They had the same requirements as far as the car had to run and drive, and be currently registered. I took my car down to the government location to get rid off the car. I could not be believe what the told me. They told me the car was eligible, but since it had a crack in the windshield, I would have to replace the windshield first. Now, I asked them what they were going to the car. They told me all cars accepted in the program are immediately crushed. I spent some time arguing how stupid this was to no avail. I finally accepted that I live in a messed up country, and sold it myself instead.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:33 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
It seems they want a car that has been insured for the last year to the current owner so that no one games the system. I guess they figure this keeps people from gaming the system, although I don't see much need for that -- after all you still have to buy a new car.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:09 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Because if I have a dozen 1988 F-150 1/2 ton's sitting in the feild behind my house that were un-roadworthy I could potentially sell all those to people who could then turn them in and get $4500 credit towards a new car.

The theory is that if they are not road worthy they aren't part of the high fuel consumption problem....because they aren't consuming fuel...because they are dead.

OK imagine you are stranded on an island. Your boat crashed and caught on fire and everybody died except you and a 500lb obese lady (old big gas guzzling truck). All the dead people (junked cars) eat no food. But the fat lady is eating all the available food at an intolerable rate. And the supply is running low. The best thing to do is to whack her over the head with a boat paddle the next time she desides to take a swim and feed her to the sharks. Once she's dead the food supply will regenerate.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:10 AM

1,763 posts, read 7,335,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post

OK imagine you are stranded on an island. Your boat crashed and caught on fire and everybody died except you and a 500lb obese lady (old big gas guzzling truck). All the dead people (junked cars) eat no food. But the fat lady is eating all the available food at an intolerable rate. And the supply is running low. The best thing to do is to whack her over the head with a boat paddle the next time she desides to take a swim and feed her to the sharks. Once she's dead the food supply will regenerate.

Man if they start giving cash for fat people, you could have a field day 'round here. In that example, I'd put the ol' gal on a diet. It will get lonely after a while. /sarcasm

Anyway, I wish a car dealer would get on the local news and explain how this cuts into their bottom line. Sure they needed to clear the lots, but in the more stable economic areas, those "clunkers" were once tuned up a bit for peanuts and sold for a profit (a nice one.)

I know beggers can't be choosers, but it seems this program is just extending the death of a dealership sales model based on the boom time when city-folk got a new car every three years. I don't think we can sustain that level of vehicle consumption.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Because if I have a dozen 1988 F-150 1/2 ton's sitting in the feild behind my house that were un-roadworthy I could potentially sell all those to people who could then turn them in and get $4500 credit towards a new car.
Well, one year from now, when those theoretical owners have an eligible F150, the program will be long gone. At least this go around...so that part is irrelevant.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:29 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,090,043 times
Quote:
The theory is that if they are not road worthy they aren't part of the high fuel consumption problem....because they aren't consuming fuel...because they are dead.
That part is right on the money. There are many reasons for CFC's existence but if your car can't even pass inspection and isn't road worthy then it should not be on our roads and isn't consuming fuel/polluting/etc.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:41 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,267,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Well, one year from now, when those theoretical owners have an eligible F150, the program will be long gone. At least this go around...so that part is irrelevant.
Indeed. Thats why they made the rules. Must be owned, licensed and insured for a year by the purchaser.

That would mean they couldn't just run out to said F-150 owner and buy it for $1000 only to turn around and try to trade it in. They can't do it. And like you say....a year from now this whole program will be long forgotten.

It's a sound idea really. Some folks are scoffing at the idea calling it a fraud and a failure. Even me...I looked at it and just thought it was crap legislation because I didn't think there were all that many people ready to buy a new car even at a discount when their previous car was practically worthless.

But look at what the dealerships are saying about it. I talked to a sales manager the other day at a local Ford dealer (friend of a friend) and he was over the moon about it. He said it's been better than it's been in years!

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
The thing I am waiting to hear is the inevitable unintended consequence that will come at us about 6 months to a year after this thing is over - like the way corn ethanol for fuel raised the price of corn tortillias in Mexico by 2 or 3X -

I have no idea what this unintended consequence will be, but I am out ahead of the pack in knowing it will be there, somewhere, and that I don't know what it will be. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates

Old 08-04-2009, 12:53 PM

347 posts, read 1,357,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Riddle me this....

So if I drive in with....lets say a 1988 F150 1/2 ton....holes rusted in the floor board....shocks worn out....engine burning oil due to valve seals worn.....been sitting in a field for 10 years....none of the lights work....horn doesn't work....steering worn out....brakes barely stop it....couldn't pass a vehicle inspection to save it's life...

Would they not take it in???

Why not?

They wont take it in because if it has been sitting in a field for 10 years, then you have not been driving it, so you dont really need it to be replaced.
Also since it has been sitting, it is not causing any pollution so doesnt make sense getting rid of it and paying $4500 for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive