Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,478,621 times

Advertisements

Not trying to wage a war here, I drive a Honda Civic and am very happy with it. Let's put all politics aside and talk about what you like and/or dislike about Foreign and Domestic.
The only thing I complain about with my civic is as well as it drives it don't feel like I am driving a big comfy couch, like my old Taurus did. On the other hand this car has never been in the shop for repairs and has out lasted all my American cars, so I'll sacrifice that floating comfort to make sure she starts every morning
Also my Honda is waaaaaay better on gas than any domestic I ever owned. Go on chime in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 06:40 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Domestic likes - generally cheaper parts, easier to fix and maintain, *in general*, for whatever reason Detroit seems to build a better truck for actual hauling service.

Import likes - better handling, better reliability, better economy, lighter, frequently better ergonomics.

Domestic dislikes: Handling has been sacrificed for that "sofa-bed" ride that I don't particularly like, parts while cheap don't last as long, brakes that will fade if you push on a twisty road, many models with no manual trans option, styled rather than engineered, mediocre to bad build quality, later models have a mix of inch and metric hardware (I am OK with either or even Whitworth - just pick one and go with it FFS...)

Import dislikes: Expensive parts, most import trucks are not serious trucks, (I mean, what's the import equivalent of a Super Duty F-350?!) many Japanese have a lot of "too clever by half" features, overly complicated, many Japanese parts are dealer-only, sometimes routine service is difficult to do, complicated, time consuming.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:58 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,040,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Domestic likes - generally cheaper parts, easier to fix and maintain, *in general*, for whatever reason Detroit seems to build a better truck for actual hauling service.

Import likes - better handling, better reliability, better economy, lighter, frequently better ergonomics.

Domestic dislikes: Handling has been sacrificed for that "sofa-bed" ride that I don't particularly like, parts while cheap don't last as long, brakes that will fade if you push on a twisty road, many models with no manual trans option, styled rather than engineered, mediocre to bad build quality, later models have a mix of inch and metric hardware (I am OK with either or even Whitworth - just pick one and go with it FFS...)

Import dislikes: Expensive parts, most import trucks are not serious trucks, (I mean, what's the import equivalent of a Super Duty F-350?!) many Japanese have a lot of "too clever by half" features, overly complicated, many Japanese parts are dealer-only, sometimes routine service is difficult to do, complicated, time consuming.
hmm... good summation...

I can't disagree with much, though I do love my '00 Tacoma, it does almost exactly what I need it to do.

I also have an old GTI and a much older Triumph TR4A and I would have to sum up my preference for most Imports in one word: FUN.

In my view the Germans, English and Italians excel in this criteria.

Feel free to insert your favorite reliability joke for the former two here.

Yes, there are different disadvantages to many of these that I will not go into now, but they are FUN. Most American cars I have driven are not. (Notwithstanding the built '68 Nova that my friend let me run all out in a 1/4 mile once 30 some years ago.)

Old 07-10-2009, 07:05 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Yes, there are different disadvantages to many of these that I will not go into now, but they are FUN. Most American cars I have driven are not. (Notwithstanding the built '68 Nova that my friend let me run all out in a 1/4 mile once 30 some years ago.)
Funny you should mention a Nova. I taped this one leaving a car show...

YouTube - Chevy Nova

For me a fun car is one that has enough torque to melt the tires! I'm not really interested in handling, I'm happy with a '60s/early '70s American car with a big-block engine and lots of low-end torque!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM

Well Fleet, I am glad I saved my story about that Nova and my '72 Datsun 1200.

As I said, I loved that 1/4 mile run, but I tend toward handling.

I once suckered my pal with the Nova into a race thru a cemetery... very narrow winding road, a mile maybe. By the time he quit smoking his tires with the ~400 hp. I was ahead of him with my ~70 hp. He could never get around me on that particular course after that. I also beat him across a highway on my 10 speed too, so he was not real quick on the uptake.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:02 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
dislike
Foreign - So many of the cars sit very low to the ground. Now I like the appearance of this, but it kills my back with it being so flexed.

Horns sound wimpy. Beep beep vs HONK.

Domestic - Lack of manuals available in mid size cars. Though my next car will be an auto so I don't really care anymore. Also many Foreign cars are losing the manuals on newer models (camry, accord, & I think altima).

Doors are loud and heavy. Exhaust and engine is louder.

foreign - more refined look

domestic - reliability & gas mileage is improving. Especially with Fords. Cheaper cost.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:48 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I lie the reliablity of the japnese brands ltho they are domestically produced mostly. This last eyar i finally gave up on the Big three brands after seelign my truck;too many 500 dollars issues.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Well Fleet, I am glad I saved my story about that Nova and my '72 Datsun 1200.

As I said, I loved that 1/4 mile run, but I tend toward handling.

I once suckered my pal with the Nova into a race thru a cemetery... very narrow winding road, a mile maybe. By the time he quit smoking his tires with the ~400 hp. I was ahead of him with my ~70 hp. He could never get around me on that particular course after that. I also beat him across a highway on my 10 speed too, so he was not real quick on the uptake.
Sounds like fun. Where I live, the ratio of straight roads VS curvy roads is about 50:1. Many more straight roads... the perfect breeding ground for 340, 383, 440 and 426-Hemi Mopars, 396, 427 and 454 Chevys, 351, 390, 427, 428 and 429 Ford, 400, 455 Buicks, 389, 400, 455 Pontiacs, etc.

I like my cars to have at least ~300 (gross) hp and ~400 lbs-ft (gross) torque. The more, the better! Nothing quite feels the same as being pushed against the seat back when accelerating!

BTW, I have a road test somewhere of a '70 (I think it's a '70) 396 SS Nova. Ran 0-60 mph in 5.9 seconds and a 14.5 @ 101 mph 1/4 mile (on 1970 tires).

Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 PM

Yep, raw straight line power is seductive.

I will save my power (torque, thank you) for wheelin'.

My '72 IH Scout II is a torque monster that will climb anything. (345 c.i.)

On the road I prefer the nimble and quick to the fast. I live in the mountains.

But, fast is fun, in whatever way folks dial it up. Enjoy!

Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM

Yes, where someone lives could make a difference.

I am surrounded by mountains and hills but where I actually live is a valley with lots of straight roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive