Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:36 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,043,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
While it's true that there are several commercial removers all are harsh petrolium based product that "could" damage your paint which Avon's Skin So Soft body oil will NOT damage your paint in any manner whatsoever. All that is required when done is simple soap and water to wash of the oils left from removal.

Think about this.........if you can put Avon's Skin So Soft on your skin what possible harm can it do to baked on car paint? Simple answer......it can't.

Unconventional? Yes, but it works!!
I am not disputing that Skin So Soft might work, I have never tried it.

But, to say "if you can put ... on your skin what possible harm can it do to baked on car paint? Simple answer......it can't." is false.

We used to get DEET from Army surplus to keep the bugs off. We applied it to our skin quite often. It ate paint off of new trucks and melted the vinyl in the interior.

Just saying... it might be a good idea to be careful of absolute statements.

To the OP, I would try Goo-off first. Or, ice and a credit card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 10:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,952,864 times
Definitely try feezing it with ice first. It will get hard and probably pop right off.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:58 PM

177 posts, read 312,908 times
GooGoneâ„¢ may also work (it's also citrus based). There's no way I'd get brake fluid anywhere near my paint.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:02 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,130,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudoshin1115 View Post
GooGoneâ„¢ may also work (it's also citrus based). There's no way I'd get brake fluid anywhere near my paint.
I've used brake fluid to completely clear away damaged paint caused by accidents and parking lot scrapes. Something that looks like it would need a repaint looks amazing after a quick rub.

Old 07-14-2009, 07:12 PM

17,221 posts, read 57,151,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I've used brake fluid to completely clear away damaged paint caused by accidents and parking lot scrapes. Something that looks like it would need a repaint looks amazing after a quick rub.
But, seriously dude, you are a fairly experienced tech, you don't want to be telling people who are not 15W-50 blood type like us, to use brake fluid without giving them some background, some precautions and limitations...

They may decide to soak a rag in brake fluid and let it sit overnight, based on your first answer.

Same way you wouldn't just light up the "blue wrench" and hand it to someone who does not have any experience with it...

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,700,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
I am not disputing that Skin So Soft might work, I have never tried it.

But, to say "if you can put ... on your skin what possible harm can it do to baked on car paint? Simple answer......it can't." is false.

We used to get DEET from Army surplus to keep the bugs off. We applied it to our skin quite often. It ate paint off of new trucks and melted the vinyl in the interior.

Just saying... it might be a good idea to be careful of absolute statements.

To the OP, I would try Goo-off first. Or, ice and a credit card.
Is is just my post or are you so "precise" by nature? That said, I've noted that you comment on my post with here with strange frequency. Why?

Old 07-15-2009, 10:03 AM

1,628 posts, read 4,043,806 times
Just clearing up mis-information.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
But, seriously dude, you are a fairly experienced tech, you don't want to be telling people who are not 15W-50 blood type like us, to use brake fluid without giving them some background, some precautions and limitations...

They may decide to soak a rag in brake fluid and let it sit overnight, based on your first answer.

Same way you wouldn't just light up the "blue wrench" and hand it to someone who does not have any experience with it...
Point taken!

Old 07-15-2009, 04:10 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,700,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
Just clearing up mis-information.
Which is not your place to do in the first place now it is?

Old 07-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Which is not your place to do in the first place now it is?
Are you hassling him for giving good advice on a forum? I think stuff like this is important for those who are not aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive