Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:15 PM

26 posts, read 93,072 times

Advertisements

I was on the several taxis in Asia and I noticed that most drivers shift to Neutral when stopping. Is this just a habit of theirs or does it have an effect on the car? (etc gas consumption)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,375,366 times
While I doubt leaving the car in drive while stopping a traffic light would put excessive heat on the transmission and torque converter, putting it in neutral will save you some fuel, and possibly extend the life of the brakes a little more.

Here's why. When the car is in drive, the engine is essentially connected to the wheels. Since the engine is still spinning (even when your foot is off the accelerator), there is some torque applied to the wheels. This torque is small enough for you to stop the car by using the brake pedal (and is not large enough to cause serious strain to a well-designed and well-maintained transmission....so don't worry about excessive heat on the transmission). That torque wastes energy in two ways. Firstly, you're basically supplying energy to the wheels but not moving it, so it's a waste. Secondly, the car is applying extra braking effort in preventing that torque from moving the car. If you put the transmission into Neutral, you save that extra energy and braking effort, consequently saving gas.

Old 08-03-2009, 02:53 AM

I suppose these effects it add up for those drivers, since they're driving almost the entire day. Thanks for the info though! gotta love this forum

Old 08-03-2009, 03:22 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,897,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
While I doubt leaving the car in drive while stopping a traffic light would put excessive heat on the transmission and torque converter, putting it in neutral will save you some fuel, and possibly extend the life of the brakes a little more.

Here's why. When the car is in drive, the engine is essentially connected to the wheels. Since the engine is still spinning (even when your foot is off the accelerator), there is some torque applied to the wheels. This torque is small enough for you to stop the car by using the brake pedal (and is not large enough to cause serious strain to a well-designed and well-maintained transmission....so don't worry about excessive heat on the transmission). That torque wastes energy in two ways. Firstly, you're basically supplying energy to the wheels but not moving it, so it's a waste. Secondly, the car is applying extra braking effort in preventing that torque from moving the car. If you put the transmission into Neutral, you save that extra energy and braking effort, consequently saving gas.
Don't really see it that way. Wouldn't the higher rpm's from being in neutral use more gas? And once the car is stopped there is no brake wear because nothing is moving to create friction.
Maybe they use neutral when stopping because of a rough idle or a trans problem.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:59 AM

but doesnt higher rpm's result from the engine running FREELY without having to power something? What i mean is, it IS higher revs, but I don't think it uses more gas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used my really amateur knowledge of cars to judge. I think of it as riding a bicycle, if you are on a high gear and you are pedalling hard, that is low rev but uses a lot of energy. But if you are on gear 1 and pedalling fast, it is the opposite.

So since it's on Neutral, and the engine's running nice and easy, I think the increase in RPM is normal and prob doesn't affect gas consumption.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:28 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,966,685 times
While there may be a difference in doing so it will be so small you will not notice any differences in saving gas. How do I know? I tried it last year when gas prices skyrocketed on all of us lol...

Old 08-03-2009, 05:32 AM

6,367 posts, read 16,897,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0509 View Post
but doesnt higher rpm's result from the engine running FREELY without having to power something? What i mean is, it IS higher revs, but I don't think it uses more gas. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I used my really amateur knowledge of cars to judge. I think of it as riding a bicycle, if you are on a high gear and you are pedalling hard, that is low rev but uses a lot of energy. But if you are on gear 1 and pedalling fast, it is the opposite.

So since it's on Neutral, and the engine's running nice and easy, I think the increase in RPM is normal and prob doesn't affect gas consumption.
The difference would be so small it wouldn't have any effect on the fuel mileage.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:38 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,637,744 times
I also used to see European drivers jump out of their cars when it stopped raining and take off their windshield wipers. I guess rubber was expensive. Not uncommon to see windshields with scratch marks because someone would forget and turn on the wipers without the blades.

Old 08-03-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
I also used to see European drivers jump out of their cars when it stopped raining and take off their windshield wipers. I guess rubber was expensive. Not uncommon to see windshields with scratch marks because someone would forget and turn on the wipers without the blades.

what the? I would be so confused if I saw that. Oh and another thing, many taxi drivers in Asia drive barefoot, guess it's more comfortable? Just a bit odd

Old 08-03-2009, 07:58 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,235,001 times
Keep in mind that brakes are easier and less expensive to service than transmissions and clutches.

When stopped for a "long" time I shift to neutral to remove the load on the torque convertor. The 100 rpm change is meaningless for fuel consumption for the duration of a stop - if the rpm is even higher at all. The engine computer may drop the idle to the lowest stable speed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive