Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times

Advertisements

At the end of Spring of this year, I had my minivan (Toyota Previa) in the shop, because it won't shift right and the clutch "sticks" on the floor.

Yes, it's a standard transmission minivan. Everyone thinks this is odd.

My very trusted and much beloved mechanic that I've used for six years now quoted me around $1500 for the repair.

I honestly can't remember all of what he said but I know it needed a new clutch, Master & Slave something, and would require all this labor that was making it so expensive.

Also there's some dumb### annoying problem with it that "seems" minor but is also going to cost a fortune, something in the steering column that is causing the high beams not to come on, which means it won't pass inspection. It's a little part but the steering column has to be taken apart to fix so it was a pricey quote too.

He said sell it while you can. I don't want to! I don't know if I can get it fixed cheaper elsewhere and maybe he just doesn't want to mess with it so he quoted high? He has a LOT of business, almost more than he can handle, and he's told me more than once that my van was a pain to work on.

I paid $1500 for the van last summer, and it has very low miles for the age, engine runs great, interior is beautiful, body straight, paint nice, etc. I am the second owner and the first owner took really good care of it. It is my second Previa (first one made it way past 300k miles) and the Previa is my first choice for a family vehicle... I know they're known for reliability and quality. I love how it's roomier than most minivans but not big like a full sized van. I also got a really good deal on my van because I looked LONG and HARD, bought from an individual, and I know if I were to go out right now and try and buy another just like it (obviously w/o the clutch problems) in the same condition, then I would not find one for less than $2500 or so.

I don't know what to do. It's sitting in my driveway, inspection expired, so I haven't driven it around to get more opinions. It does "drive" but it's a beast to shift. Right now I'm driving a borrowed gas guzzler.

Any idea howmuch this sort of thing usually costs, and any opinions on if I should sell it or try and fix it? I keep thinking, well, if his price was high, and I could get it fixed for another $1000, then I would not be spending any more than what the BB was when I bought it in the first place...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
$1200 to $1500 for what sounds like a full clutch replacement, parts & labor & all, is about right.

I'd find another vehicle, as that is basically throwing money away, but it's your call.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:29 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,292,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
$1200 to $1500 for what sounds like a full clutch replacement, parts & labor & all, is about right.

I'd find another vehicle, as that is basically throwing money away, but it's your call.
Yeah, I'm thinking I will.

The good (???) thing, I guess, about the state of the economy, is that I have just browsed Craigslist and found that these vans are going for much less than they were when I was buying mine.

Of course that's not good for me trying to sell my broken one. But good for buying something similar. I've looked for 10 minutes and already found 3 possibles for under $1200.00.

I get attached to cars. Dumb, I know.... but I am leaning towards getting rid of it. I think posting it all here then looking at what's out there helped push me that way.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking I will.

The good (???) thing, I guess, about the state of the economy, is that I have just browsed Craigslist and found that these vans are going for much less than they were when I was buying mine.

Of course that's not good for me trying to sell my broken one. But good for buying something similar. I've looked for 10 minutes and already found 3 possibles for under $1200.00.

I get attached to cars. Dumb, I know.. but I am leaning towards getting rid of it. I think posting it all here then looking at what's out there helped push me that way.

It's just a car. Take what you can get for it and find another one.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM

941 posts, read 3,910,035 times
Don't listen to 'getmeoutofhere'.

If you know the van you currently have is extremely reliable and you trust it, and all other things are up to snuff...I'd go ahead and have the clutch replaced. $1500 is a lot cheaper than getting another van, registering it, insuring it, getting it inspected and etc...with hidden problems. It just doesn't make sense.

If the van doesn't have an airbag, you can take apart the steering column and fix the high-beam. I'm betting it's the turn signal cam. It's not that difficult if the wheel doesn't have an airbag.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:51 AM

Spend $1500 on a car worth less than $1200?

Yeah, that makes sense.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:59 AM

941 posts, read 3,910,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
Spend $1500 on a car worth less than $1200?

Yeah, that makes sense.
You obviously have an extremely narrow view. Typical dealer.

Value does not apply in this case. It is a matter of spending.

If you sell the car and get another similar car, why bother? It will cost more than $1,500. A $1,500 repair bill is an one-time payment to get it back on the road with the added bonus of knowing the history of said car. It's already been proven.

If you sell the car for $800 and buy a $1,000 car, you will most likely to spend way more $1,500 just to get it trustworthy. Let's not forget the hassle of registering it with fees, taxes, etc.

The less you pay for a car, the more you spend on it.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:22 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,233 times
Sounds about right my cousin had a Probe think it was $1,400 for him

Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,307,351 times
I have to admit that has to be a rare van with a stick shift

Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,052,961 times
If you put in a new clutch you will have a Previa with a stickshift and a new clutch, if you take care of the clutch it will last a long time.

Yeah, ignore the guy from the dealer, he's always ready to sign you up for a car payment.

Spending more on a repair than you spent to buy the car originally is not necessarily a mistake, depending on what kind of deal you got on the car - beyond that what you spent to buy the car originally is a sunk cost, if you spent $3000 for that van it would only mean you paid too much for it, just depends on how well this thing meets your current needs, what kind of shape it's in all round.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive