Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:03 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Hey I build those....

Sent from my autocorrect butchering device.

Go Boeing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 06:06 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I plan on keeping the car a long time but I was just wondering. My son had his down professionally and it was $250, does that sound reasonabe? I wonder if it's harder to see out of the back when driving, blind spot etc
prices will vary based on the film used, quality of shop, and # of windows done but that's probably not too far off.
As long as tint is legal, which your local shop will be able to tell you what is and isnt, it should not affect values--we've done both owned and leased cars and no issues at time of sale or trade. But as posted by others have it done right.
Lastly, legal tint should not affect your nightime vision; if one can see out an suv or minivan with factory privacy glass (which can be darker then legally applied aftermarket tinting) then legal tint should be ok.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:28 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Well, I have identical cars with identical interiors, one with tint and one without. Some day when it's nice and sunny out I'll park 'em both out in the sun, take the temp inside both, and report back here with the results are.
We're waiting...

Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
We're waiting...

Yeah well, so am I. Right now it's a skin-blistering 39 degrees out.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Yeah well, so am I. Right now it's a skin-blistering 39 degrees out.
and that's why we left Wi for the south lol

Old 05-14-2014, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxSeven View Post
The reason for this is because they do not like tinted windows, and rightfully so. So they put the visor in the window to protect the dash from the sun, to prevent fading and damage - because they don't have the sense to park in the shade or their garage is filled to the brim with junk that they can't bear to part with. Tinted windows are a no-go for the following reasons.
  1. Tinted windows do not look 'cool' - they look gansta and are juvenile.
  2. Having tinted windows implies that you are trying to hide something, even if you are not.
  3. If you are stating that privacy is the reason for having tinted windows, what exactly are you attempting to keep private?
  4. If you don't want to be seen when you are driving your car, it follows that you would not want to be seen whilst you are on-foot - so you should wear a mask and black robes when walking around town.
  5. Tinted windows severely impair night vision and increase risk and danger during night driving.
  6. By applying tint, you are putting an inferior material over an otherwise highly durable and pristine material (glass), therefore decreasing the value of your car.
  7. Tinted windows conceal, assuming you are driving a decent car, a beautifully appointed interior, which should be displayed.
  8. Tinted windows do not prevent theft or breaking and entering. In fact, it may increase your chances of being robbed, because the robbers think that you are hiding valuables, so they have all the more incentive to smash your window and find the treasure.
  9. If you think you think that people may regard your unseen self as a celebrity because you have your windows tinted - think again. They probably think you are a douche, because you are for having your windows tinted.
  10. If you have tinted your windows to protect your kids from the sun, do you carry a section of tinted window with you to the beach to prop up next to their play area? Why not construct a "tinted glass helmet" instead?
  11. Thinking that tinted windows projects an aura of sinister, awe-filled, mysterious intrigue is really just another example of ill-conceived, douche-baggery thought process.
  12. Window tint is cliche' and that validates all my prior reasons and makes them even more true.

13. And you secretly like window tint but just cannot afford to pay for it?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:50 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Well, I have identical cars with identical interiors, one with tint and one without. Some day when it's nice and sunny out I'll park 'em both out in the sun, take the temp inside both, and report back here with the results are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
We're waiting...

And of course, about 2 weeks after I made that pledge, I sold the car with the tinted windows. So I never got the chance to conduct the experiment.

Old 05-15-2014, 08:13 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,667,017 times
It isn't really going to block out heat over an extended period. Maybe 5 degrees or so but not a lot. It will block out UV rays which damage your interior panels. It will help keep the vehicle cooler when the A/C is running in the summer also.

I had my extended cab Nissan Titan tinted for $125 using Llumar 20% tint.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,719 times
Just had my new car tinted today. It was base (el cheapo) model without tint. Back and windshield strip 5% LLumar, with 2 front doors 20%. (Cost $160 and looks great on white Dodge Caravan.) I was afraid I might not see my outside mirrors with 5% on front doors. Wrong. Big mistake, kicking myself all way driving home. 5% would have been perfect everywhere. It did not impair my vision looking out front door windows at all. If stopped by police, I would roll down driver window and it would be obvious I was no gangsta. Looking forward to more comfortable driving in Florida. (And I have early-stage eye cataracts and had a bout with skin cancer and wish I had tinting done years ago.) Just noticed today here in Florida many cars with double (2X) 5% all round, even windshields are dark tinted. Police don't seem to care. Am happy with 5" strip at top, makes a big difference and rest of windshield stays stock factory. Next time for me it will be 5% all round, including 5" windshield strip. Hope this may help some people still on on fence about what light transmission % of tint to use.

Last edited by Btlflpztk; 05-15-2014 at 04:49 PM..

Old 05-15-2014, 05:33 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,893,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Btlflpztk View Post
Just had my new car tinted today. It was base (el cheapo) model without tint. Back and windshield strip 5% LLumar, with 2 front doors 20%. (Cost $160 and looks great on white Dodge Caravan.) I was afraid I might not see my outside mirrors with 5% on front doors. Wrong. Big mistake, kicking myself all way driving home. 5% would have been perfect everywhere. It did not impair my vision looking out front door windows at all. If stopped by police, I would roll down driver window and it would be obvious I was no gangsta. Looking forward to more comfortable driving in Florida. (And I have early-stage eye cataracts and had a bout with skin cancer and wish I had tinting done years ago.) Just noticed today here in Florida many cars with double (2X) 5% all round, even windshields are dark tinted. Police don't seem to care. Am happy with 5" strip at top, makes a big difference and rest of windshield stays stock factory. Next time for me it will be 5% all round, including 5" windshield strip. Hope this may help some people still on on fence about what light transmission % of tint to use.
I've had 5% on all windows and it sucks at night. I love 20%, personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive