Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 10:00 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times

Advertisements

I have a stationary air compressor in my tractor shed, but my cars don't always cooperate and go flat in front of it.

...and I'm an impatient man and hate to wait on the slow cigarette lighter-powered portable air compressors.

Sooooo, I use a portable air carry tank to air up my car tires. It's cheaper than the portable compressors, you can easily take it to where ever your vehicle is. If you don't have your own compressor, there are still places around where you can get free air to fill your tank.

The below link has a reconditioned 7 gallon one for $14.95. (I have no connection to the website or product.)

Campbell Hausfeld Air Carry Tanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:07 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,268,829 times
^yeah those work great. Fairly light weight too.

however the OP is trying to get away from relying on a gas station or anyone else for air. She would have to get that PLUS an air compressor to fill it with.

...and I sympathize with that.

Growing up I had every tool you could imagine in the shop out back. When I went off to college and then on to my career I was missing something.....TOOLS! Over the last decade I've had to build up my tool chest because I basically started with a ratchet/wrench set. Every time I had to air up my tires I had to do it at the local gas station. Such a PITA!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM

1,777 posts, read 4,860,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
I have a stationary air compressor in my tractor shed, but my cars don't always cooperate and go flat in front of it.

...and I'm an impatient man and hate to wait on the slow cigarette lighter-powered portable air compressors.

Sooooo, I use a portable air carry tank to air up my car tires. It's cheaper than the portable compressors, you can easily take it to where ever your vehicle is. If you don't have your own compressor, there are still places around where you can get free air to fill your tank.

The below link has a reconditioned 7 gallon one for $14.95. (I have no connection to the website or product.)

Campbell Hausfeld Air Carry Tanks
good point

i have 250' of air hose... no worries, if my neighbor has a flat, i can pump their tires lol

Old 10-13-2009, 10:15 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,191,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMallory View Post
good point

i have 250' of air hose... no worries, if my neighbor has a flat, i can pump their tires lol
You're nice!
I think I'd need around 3500' of hose to air my neighbor's tires...so far he hasn't sprung for it...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:21 AM

lol holy crap

Old 10-13-2009, 10:34 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
those are the least accurate

in reality, a high quality dial gauge is the most accurate
"those are the least accurate"

Even it it was 2 pounds off it's would be better than nothing. I don't think the person is going to be running at 180 miles an hour on a race track.. I was just trying to help in keeping the price down..

Old 10-13-2009, 10:40 AM

sure, but you can buy a decent gauge/inflator for about 30 bucks

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
sure, but you can buy a decent gauge/inflator for about 30 bucks
Right.

And it's important to realize that there's a big difference between one of these "inflaters" and an actual air compressor.

It basically boils down to the old "you get what you pay for" saying. I paid about $20 for the little inflater I've got. It was well worth it. But it's not my primary air compressor.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:40 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,024,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I have one of these - http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators

It plugs into the wall outlet and pumps pretty fast - $55.
That looks like a nice little unit; I have been thinking of something at home, for times I need to top off the tires on our vehicles, boat trailer, etc or even fill up one of the rafts.
Does it have enough to fill a tire from flat, or is it more for maintaining pressure?
thx

Old 10-13-2009, 11:49 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Everyone should have the cheap inflater in their car at all times. Do you bring your compressed air tank with you when you go to the store or on vacation? These small $15 to $25 dollar models are at best used to maintain tire pressure or if you see you're tire is low (not flat) it will do the job without a 110 electrical outlet needed. And if it is flat, you can use the inflator to inflate your spare tire to proper pressure before putting it on the car. I've helped my neighbors and co-workers with my little $15 inflator. At home, yes, a 110v compressor and or a compressed air tank is much better and faster. But do you bring such things with you on vacation or with you to work? Start with the cheap inflators and keep in the trunk of the car for emergencies. Get the bigger model for at home if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive