Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The warranties are worth it because these cars typically break down after 4 years. I've owned several German and exotic cars. There is a reason BMW provides a 4 year bumper-to-bumper and maintenance warranty because after those 4 years, you will be paying out the nose as small components start to break down as your car hemorrhages slowly over the life of it. And with European cars, the parts and labor cost considerably more so that something that costs $300 to fix in a Chevy will cost you $1000 in a German car. This is why a lot of people lease these cars (aside from the tax write off if you own a business). If you intend to keep these cars for more than 5 years, you would be dumb not to buy a warranty. Even 7 years/100K miles is pretty good.
The reliability and cost of maintaining a Lexus is much different than with BMW or M-B.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 08:37 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Apparently you didn't read my post well. I included the fact that the LS is a bigger car and would have more room for backseat passengers. I didn't say that was the only reason I was going to choose the LS. I've driven a 2004 ES and it was noticeably smaller than the LS and lacked power but the ride was nice.

And what do you mean by "luxurious" when you say to choose the LS? You can get many of the same luxuries in the ES if you get the right package. To me, getting the LS has a lot to do with it's size and power which makes for a better ride. You are talking about the difference between a 272 hp V6 versus a 380 V8 engine. It will be less fuel efficient but definitely quicker and smoother on the freeway.
I don't mean to be difficult. Have you driven both of these cars? If you don't feel torque steer when you drive an ES then it isn't an issue. Don't rely on what is said here - even if it is sound. The 2009 ES is bigger and nicer than the 2004.

The LS is a very fine luxury car. It is in an entirely different league from the ES. Both are very nicely made as all Lexus cars are. The LS has a big V8, and more interior refinement than all but the best German cars. If you have the money - go for it.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:44 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,425,311 times
Quote:
What is GAP?

I have bought extended warranties and they are totally worth it. I bought an extended warranty for my Toyota. It was an extra $1200 but it was a 7 year or 90,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It brings peace of mind if anything.

Guaranteed Asset Protection insurance.

If your car is wrecked and a total loss, and the value of your car is less than the payoff, the GAP makes up the difference instead you being out of pocket.

For instance, two years down the road you wreck the car and it's a total loss. The insurance company says the car is worth $20K.

Your payoff with the bank is $26K.

Without GAP, you have to write a $6K check to bring the balance to even. GAP makes up that difference.

It should be about $400 - $500. Well worth it, in my opinion.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Apparently you didn't read my post well. I included the fact that the LS is a bigger car and would have more room for backseat passengers. I didn't say that was the only reason I was going to choose the LS. I've driven a 2004 ES and it was noticeably smaller than the LS and lacked power but the ride was nice.

And what do you mean by "luxurious" when you say to choose the LS? You can get many of the same luxuries in the ES if you get the right package. To me, getting the LS has a lot to do with it's size and power which makes for a better ride. You are talking about the difference between a 272 hp V6 versus a 380 V8 engine. It will be less fuel efficient but definitely quicker and smoother on the freeway.

The ES is nothing on Earth like the LS.

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

It's also the reason for the $30K price difference.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumbollo View Post
OK, extended warranties on these type cars have a gotcha that you might not realize. I will use the example of Mercedes.

• Mercedes offers a base warranty with a new purchase. 4 years, 50K miles, whichever comes first.
  • If you buy their extended warranty it automatically increases to 100K miles, and you pay for additional term 1-4 more years.
  • So you pay extra for 4 more years and you assume this means that your warranty is now 8 years, 100K. Right?
  • Wrong......
  • You paid for an extended warranty that lasts for 4 years or a total of 100K miles. They start the clock when your first warranty expires by either miles or time. This is the important part.
  • If you hit 48K miles say in 3 years, they start the clock on the extended part.
  • You end up with 7 years instead of the 8 you think you paid for. So you take your Merc in there to get it fixed at 7.5 years and 85,000 on the vehicle and the dealer tells you. "Oh didn't we tell you, your warranty expired last year".
Generally I am of the opinion these warranties are not worth it. If you buy one, keep in mind that you have a year to decide. You don't have to buy it when you purchase the car. Even better, these warranties are negotiable. You can wheel and deal on them just like anything else. If you know you want one then either treat it like an option on the car include it in the deal before you finalize with the salesman, or wait until later.

The worst time to buy this warranty is after you signed the deal and you are talking to the finance manager and he casually brings it up. You can't negotiate it then unless you are willing to walk away from the deal. This is a huge profit item for a dealer and this is where they will hit you with it when you are the weakest.

Extended warranties are offered in terms of years / miles, and it starts from day of purchase. It overrides the factory warranty.

So you buy the car new, and it comes with a 4/50K warranty. But you decide to buy an extended warranty, good for 7 / 100K.

That's 7 years or 100K miles from the date of purchase, not from when the factory warranty expires.

If you buy a 4 /100K, it's good for 4 years from date of purchase, not 4 years after expiration of factory warranty.

The only worthwhile extended warranties are the ones backed by the manufacturer, don't let anyone talk you into an aftermarket one.

If you buy a BMW, get a BMW extended warranty. If you buy a Lexus, get a Lexus extended warranty.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The reliability and cost of maintaining a Lexus is much different than with BMW or M-B.
Maybe so but I've owned Lexus vehicles that were far from perfect and know others who have as well. I wouldn't take my chances even with a Lexus without buying an extended warranty

Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The ES is nothing on Earth like the LS.

There is absolutely no comparison whatsoever.

It's also the reason for the $30K price difference.
It's true. The ES is unabashedly a glorified Camry. That's why it's considerably cheaper. I dare anyone to park one side by side with an ES and tell me they disagree with me. It's a fine car and a great starter luxury car but if anyone tries to argue that it's a big car, they don't know what they are talking about. It's not a big car with a lot of room by any means. Three adults cannot sit comfortably in the back of an ES for an extended period of time and there isn't much leg room in the backseat for a tall individual. There is a considerable difference between the ES and the LS. Furthermore, it's larger size does make it safer in that it's larger, weighs more and is wider. It might not be the best car to zig zag in traffic but it offers a much more comfortable ride. You can go over speed bumps and not even feel it. I own a 2006 and it's a beauty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
The only worthwhile extended warranties are the ones backed by the manufacturer, don't let anyone talk you into an aftermarket one. If you buy a BMW, get a BMW extended warranty. If you buy a Lexus, get a Lexus extended warranty.
I was going to edit and add this my first post about warranties. Very wise suggestion. When you buy a non-manufactuer warranty, you are taking a risk because many dealerships will not honor aspects of it or will give you a hard time regarding approval of certain procedures.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:16 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,932,100 times
As stated earlier. The LS and ES are two completely line of car. The longer wheelbase, RWD and 8 speed on the LS will give you a completely different feel to drive. I've driven an 2008 460L and you can't compare the ES to it. The car is so smooth and quiet. I enjoy it more as a passenger than a driver.

While the ES may look like a mini LS, it's far from it. I don't consider the ES to be a luxury car at all.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:16 AM

36 posts, read 125,119 times
Ok, you probably don't want to hear this, but what the hell, this morning is slow and I have some time to burn..lol.

I think your making a big mistake in overlooking American luxury. Yes, I know most american cars are not built as well as the japs and euros, but there are exceptions. If you want a big car with lots of room and a super smooth ride that was made to coddle it's occupants, that costs about half of a Lexus LS (even better deals if slightly used), yet has as good a repair record as Lexus and better than BMW & MB, then go with a Lincoln Town Car..seriously.

There is a reason TC's are the primo choice for limousine services, who can't afford to have cars that break down often or don't coddle their customers in first class comfort. TC's are very hard to kill, they are made tough, and when they do need repairs it won't cost you anywhere what Lexus charges. And very importantly, Consumer Reports reported they are as reliable as the best from Japan, and even better than BMW & MB. I have owned both Linc's and MB, and while my current MB S-class gets me a lot more looks than my Linc did, I still miss the "lincoln ride", which was softer and more comfortable than anything MB or BMW has, and I have never ridden in a Lexus so can't compare them there. The only reason I don't get another big Linc is that my MB is paid for, and I don't need to be spending money on another car if my current one works fine. But don't even ask me what I have paid for repairs on my MB..I could have easily purchased another Linc with that money..lol.

Again, I'm sure your gonna shake your head at my advice, as most people nowadays do when anybody suggests an american luxury car. The Cadillac DTS has more gadgets, but it's also not anywhere near as reliable as the TC. If you want to spend more money, have more looks, and a drive what is probably considered the finest luxury automobile in terms of quality & build, go for the Lexus LS. But if you want a well built luxury car for about half the price, with tons of space and a legendary soft ride, and whose repair record is equal if not better than Lexus, go with a Town Car. Or at least go test drive one, and then see what those other cars feel like afterwards in comparison. I've never met anyone who has regretted buying a TC, as it has the highest loyalty and repurchasing rate among luxury car buyers according to Consumers Report.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2009, 08:36 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
Quote:
What is GAP?

I have bought extended warranties and they are totally worth it. I bought an extended warranty for my Toyota. It was an extra $1200 but it was a 7 year or 90,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. It brings peace of mind if anything.
Aren't you buying the Toyota because they are reliable and will last you for many years? That's the true source of peace of mind, not some overpriced contract from your dealer.

And if you are interested in the extended warranty, shop around for it. There are dealers who will undersell your dealer on the exact same extended warranty even if you don't buy your car from them. There's a guy on Prius Chat who has that as a regular part of his business. I think he's somewhere in Mass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive