Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buettner View Post
Then spray a small rag with silicone and go over the seals to further prevent freezing.
used that stuff for years up in WI, on the cars we had to keep outside ( helps overall in icing as well ).

As for washing, some times i'd run to the local octopus/mermaid/etc if i didn't feel like freezing. Other times i'd put on the cold weather hunting gear, grab a pail and head down to the self pressure wash. Close the one garage door to keep wind off, and wash away. This worked as long as it was at least in the 20's. Anything colder then that, and it was tough.

On real cold days, if you use those car wash places that do it all for ya, they usually have a dish with small lock de-icers to use as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 05:34 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Being a resident of sunny So Calif, where it's 80 degrees today, I can't imagine a car wash even being open in the winter... They close here if it's cloudy...!
I think I speak for all of us from the Midwest when I say, "SHUT UP!"

Old 01-04-2010, 07:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Make sure you dry the rubber door seals, at a minimum on the driver's side, before letting it sit overnight. Also, one of my cars has a problem with the locks icing up, so I keep lock de-icer in the trunk (the trunk lock doesn't ice up for some reason). Once I squirt some lock de-icer in there, it usually only takes about 90 seconds before the lock works again. But most cars I've owned have had no problems with the locks icing up, even after car washes. I'm guessing it's less of a problem with remote keyless entry -- neither of the two cars I've owned that had lock-icing problems had remote locks.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:15 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Just take it to a car wash place. Its going to be hard to properly dry off everything... that and drying it off before it freezes. Time is money, an $8 car wash can save you an hours worth of work.
Exactly. Most of the better drive thru's have big heat blowers that will dry about 95% of the car too. Don't even waste your time trying to do it yourself. Cold weather sucks and it's bad on cars so just use the drive thru.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:25 PM

17,213 posts, read 57,047,755 times
If you do manage to freeze the doors shut, one good way to get them open is to heat big ice-tea type tumblers of water up to just good and warm - maybe the temperature of a good hot shower - not full-on hot - and pour around the edge of the door.

It sucks trying to keep a decent car if you have nothing but street parking.

I'd suggest the "full service" car wash is probably your best bet, with a high-pressure self serve (assuming you can find one that's open) being the worst to inject water where it will freeze and cause you problems.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Take it to a touchless automatic wash. It should have the option to spray under the car, too, when you roll in. After its done washing, it should give you about 45 seconds of drying time under the massive fans at the exit of the wash. Roll through those SLOWLY. Use every second of those 45 seconds they give you. LOL I roll through it slow, then get out and chamois (shammy) the door jambs, hatch area, etc. Ive never really had a problem with my car getting frozen shut. You could also apply a really thin layer of silicone on the seals, that will prevent them from freezing, too.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Take it to a touchless automatic wash. It should have the option to spray under the car, too, when you roll in. After its done washing, it should give you about 45 seconds of drying time under the massive fans at the exit of the wash. Roll through those SLOWLY. Use every second of those 45 seconds they give you. LOL I roll through it slow, then get out and chamois (shammy) the door jambs, hatch area, etc. Ive never really had a problem with my car getting frozen shut. You could also apply a really thin layer of silicone on the seals, that will prevent them from freezing, too.
This is the most exciting part of Steve-O's week, a solid excuse to use his Sham-Wow.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:39 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Blasting the undercarriage free of salty slush, salty snow and other perils of road spray... it's simply a key piece of maintenance to keep a vehicle lasting in cold climates. I have never seen a DIY station with underspray capability. As Mitch stated, full service places are ideal.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 AM

1,977 posts, read 3,576,905 times
Yes, do the full service. I wouldn't want to wash anything outside this time of year.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:17 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,450,418 times
Thanks folks. I couldn't get it washed yesterday. Most of the car washes shut down early because of the weather.

I plan on taking it to a full service car wash close to where I live. This place has gotten good reviews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive