Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,718,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
I would love to see fines based on wages earned.lol
This last summer I did some interning for a local county sheriff department and most of the people who were speeding were folks who appeared to be rather well off. Nice car, nice clothes, snotty attitude. That's not to say there not in debt up to there arse. And not all rich people are snotty just the ones I dealt with.
Why do you care about them? Your so eager to see those people in agony that your willing to forfeit your freedoms?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:53 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Yes, but our system has a way of dealing with people like that. They can only get a few tickets before their driver's license gets suspended. I think our current system is just fine.
Not all states do that so all they have to do is get a license with a state that doesn't have the points plan.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:56 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,927,861 times
Yes, you are correct.

NOt being in the US, i can't really comment on your driver training, but in the UK, people aren't taught how to drive, they are only taught how to pass a driving test.

My girlfriend is from Norway, apparently their driver training is quite good, you must have completed a certain amount of night driving, winter driving, anti skid, and motorway driving before you can drive on your own.

however, that doesn't change the fact that the law is the law. the way they are enforced is an area for debate, but law itself is set in stone.
if the law says we cannot go faster than (x) MPH, and we do, then we break the law. we are taught from an early age that there are consequences to breaking the law.

ultimately, whether we are a noob, or an experienced driver, we all are responsible for the speed of our vehicle by using the little skinny pedal, and our brains.

somehow speeding has become an "acceptable" crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Yeah... that's exactly the problem with American drivers. Everyone is soooooooo concerned about not breaking the law. Yep... everyone is scared and also very ignorant. The government has taken advantage of this ignorance and turned highway/traffic patrol into a gold mine.

Instead, the government should focus on teaching people how to actually drive. Nationally, the current procedures for obtaining a license are a complete joke. It's far too easy. Government doesn't care if drivers suck, that just means more money for them... more control as well.

I want rigorous programs that truly teach people every aspect of driving. 75% of the content in the NYS drivers handbook is teaching people how to OBEY the rules and regulations of the road. Screw the rules themselves, I want the detailed THEORY behind them. When people know how to drive properly then we can have more lax traffic laws. That means a boost in economy since traffic will flow better, the roads will be safer and people will enjoy driving more.

NOT breaking the law does NOT mean you can drive properly. It only means that at the least you can put on a good puppet show for traffic enforcement.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:06 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
Basing the fine on a person's wages can sure backfire. There are many people who are quite wealthy but do not work. So, if one of those folks gets a speeding ticket does that mean there will be no fine since there are no wages to base a fine on?

Old 01-08-2010, 09:08 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:
Yes, but our system has a way of dealing with people like that. They can only get a few tickets before their driver's license gets suspended. I think our current system is just fine.

In the State of Wisconsin you pay the same price for a speeding ticket whether your making $45,000 a year or $245,000 a year. You don't qaulify to have your license revoked any sooner if you make more or less money. If you speed so many time within any income bracket you will face the same punishment as somone in a different income bracket. So wealthy peopole do not lose their license any sooner.

I don't know how it is in Nevada but here things work differently.

Old 01-08-2010, 09:10 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,613,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Why do you care about them? Your so eager to see those people in agony that your willing to forfeit your freedoms?

What are you talking about? I'm a law abiding citizen never been stopped for speeding or some other stupid self inflicted reason. It's not that hard to follow the law! I don't care who you are if your being stopped there is a reason.

Sheesh!

Old 01-09-2010, 08:53 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Yes, you are correct.

NOt being in the US, i can't really comment on your driver training, but in the UK, people aren't taught how to drive, they are only taught how to pass a driving test.

My girlfriend is from Norway, apparently their driver training is quite good, you must have completed a certain amount of night driving, winter driving, anti skid, and motorway driving before you can drive on your own.

however, that doesn't change the fact that the law is the law. the way they are enforced is an area for debate, but law itself is set in stone.
if the law says we cannot go faster than (x) MPH, and we do, then we break the law. we are taught from an early age that there are consequences to breaking the law.

ultimately, whether we are a noob, or an experienced driver, we all are responsible for the speed of our vehicle by using the little skinny pedal, and our brains.

because we are all guilty of speeding if you drive the speed limit dead on you will hold up traffic on most freeways and it forces others to change lanes to pass you and they won't be very happy plus most of the time freeway traffic tends to go about 10 but in city conditions it is more important to drive with caution and slow down

Old 01-09-2010, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
What are you talking about? I'm a law abiding citizen never been stopped for speeding or some other stupid self inflicted reason. It's not that hard to follow the law! I don't care who you are if your being stopped there is a reason.

Sheesh!
I got nailed when I went around a corner just before a police man checking to see if people had their seat belt on he jumped in front of my car with his handout so I slammed on the brakes and he gave me a ticket excessive speed but I still wondered why he jumped out in front of my car like he was going to stop all 4000LBs of car like he was superman

Old 01-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Yes, you are correct.

we have to take a written test well these days a computer to make sure we understand the rules of the road and what road signs mean the we get a earner license which a person that has had a valid driver license that has held it for 5 year and they to be with you while driving and teach you how drive and how to park merging and all the other fun stuff or the best bet is hire a driving instructor and after you log enough hours and thik you are ready you go take a test which is driven and a DMW will grade you on how wel you performe and if you pass you get your license

Old 01-09-2010, 09:34 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Swiss court fines speeding millionaire $290,000 - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100107/ap_on_fe_st/eu_odd_switzerland_huge_speeding_fine - broken link)

Wow, and I complained about the $300 speeding tickets here in Vegas.

Good for them. They should suspend his driving privilege for a couple of years too! I have no tolerance or respect for people who break the law. Apparently, neither does Switzerland.! LOL

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive